Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Vitale continuing the rant:
”You gotta be above .500. Otherwise you’re below the Mendoza line!”
Um Dickie V ...
The Mendoza line was named for a weak hitting Pittsburgh Pirates 1970s infielder named Mario Mendoza. His career batting average was below .200; hence the Mendoza line describing teams and players that are below 20% at something.

If I was a person that went on twitter and engaged with people like him and lunardi I would just point out that he said earlier in the broadcast that Texas Tech was safely in because they have big wins and they could afford to lose to Texas and still be in. 10 min later he is whining about being .500 or a above in conference. Lol. If Tech loses to Texas they would be 9-10 in the Big 12 and 18-14 overall.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

If I was a person that went on twitter and engaged with people like him and lunardi I would just point out that he said earlier in the broadcast that Texas Tech was safely in because they have big wins and they could afford to lose to Texas and still be in. 10 min later he is whining about being .500 or a above in conference. Lol. If Tech loses to Texas they would be 9-10 in the Big 12 and 18-14 overall.

Dickie V is a great human being and an entertaining announcer, but some of his takes come in like Grandpa Simpson.

I heard that too...said he agreed and that no team under .500 deserves to be in the tourney. Ohio State finished 4 games under .500 last year and won a tournament game. Funny how short everyone’s memory is.

But that’s just one team. Pretty sure last season was one of the best for teams under .500 in conference.

Conference tourney games don’t count against your conference record.

Lol lunardi whole thing about being .500 includes conference tournaments. If you are under then he says you would need enough wins in tourney to get to them to .500.

Lunardi said his criteria would allow for conference tournament games to count towards the record. So for this arguments sake, yes they would

Lol lunardi whole thing about being .500 includes conference tournaments. If you are under then he says you would need enough wins in tourney to get to them to .500.

I don’t even agree with that. But I don’t care about conference tourneys. Those teams just haven’t been good historically.

I don’t even agree with that. But I don’t care about conference tourneys. Those teams just haven’t been good historically.

Doesn’t really matter if they have been good or bad historically those are the teams the committee has picked in the past and until the committee changes something these are the teams they will pick moving forward. These guys say the same thing every year it’s just IU fans are effected by it and are paying attention to it more. Lunardi’s target last year was Oklahoma, Ohio St and St Johns. Honestly I don’t really care which team gets picked or who does better when they get a chance Mid major, High Major under .500 whatever. I’m watching whoever it is

32 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

(BTW, I'm a big Chris Reynolds fan. He played when I was in school and seems to be a top-notch dude across the board). 

He was on my all-time favorite Hoosier team and I’d be disappointed in anyone else. 

which means it’s probably Dolson

Doesn’t really matter if they have been good or bad historically those are the teams the committee has picked in the past and until the committee changes something these are the teams they will pick moving forward. These guys say the same thing every year it’s just IU fans are effected by it and are paying attention to it more. Lunardi’s target last year was Oklahoma, Ohio St and St Johns. Honestly I don’t really care which team gets picked or who does better when they get a chance Mid major, High Major under .500 whatever. I’m watching whoever it is

That’s a relatively new trend though. Early 2000’s, that wasn’t the case. It was a team or 2 a year outside of a couple seasons where there were none.

Dickie V is a great human being and an entertaining announcer, but some of his takes come in like Grandpa Simpson.

Don’t disparage Grandpa Simpson like that.

Dickie V is an odd hypocrisy of an individual.

LOVE his passion against cancer. Love it.

But his support for slimy, cheating coaches, particularly Pitino just rubs me so wrong.

It’s clear he values his friendships above all else, regardless of the quality of said friend.

I want to like him and even endure his aged, dated takes but some of the stuff he does and says is so hypocritical.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

That’s a relatively new trend though. Early 2000’s, that wasn’t the case. It was a team or 2 a year outside of a couple seasons where there were none.

Then I guess people better get use to it until it changes again because in the last 2 years 9 teams have been selected with under .500 conference record

But his support for slimy, cheating coaches, particularly Pitino just rubs me so wrong.

It’s clear he values his friendships above all else, regardless of the quality of said friend.

I want to like him and even endure his aged, dated takes but some of the stuff he does and says is so hypocritical.

Pitino and Izzo.

6 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He is not all there mentally anymore.

Depends if you’re on the bubble or not. Last 3 years there has only been 1 mid/low major team to get an at large bid that’s a 9 seed or lower. Belmont was an 11 last season. St Bonnies was an 11 in 2018. VCU was a 10 in 2017. The last two seasons have been dominated by teams who can’t go .500 in conference or win 20 games.

Depends if you’re on the bubble or not. Last 3 years there has only been 1 mid/low major team to get an at large bid that’s a 9 seed or lower. Belmont was an 11 last season. St Bonnies was an 11 in 2018. VCU was a 10 in 2017. The last two seasons have been dominated by teams who can’t go .500 in conference or win 20 games.

Regardless of who gets in I will be enjoying every minute of it each year. I was in Dayton when the Bonnies beat UCLA and it was awesome and I was there win Michigan beat Tulsa and it was awesome.