Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

Which is it. Play until the horn or just let them score. ****, you're nothing but hot takes 

At that point as a KU player you just let it go. It was a 1 or 2 point game. It was a 22 point game. It it’s not changing the outcome then let it go and let that kid feel good for scoring because you just destroyed his team. As for the kid that stole it, do it next time too if you can if you’re down 20. Okay to the horn but the KU players should have just said whatever and let it go. Because the points were meaningless. Instead De Sousa just adds to the joke of a collegiate career he’s had.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

At that point as a KU player you just let it go. It was a 1 or 2 point game. It was a 22 point game. It it’s not changing the outcome then let it go and let that kid feel good for scoring because you just destroyed his team. As for the kid that stole it, do it next time too if you can if you’re down 20. Okay to the horn but the KU players should have just said whatever and let it go. Because the points were meaningless. Instead De Sousa just adds to the joke of a collegiate career he’s had.

That logic makes absolutely zero sense. You even acknowledge yourself that the points are meaningless, so why does the KSU player steal the ball to score them? KU tried being respectful and running out the clock, but KSU wanted to be classless and steal the ball so they kept playing too. 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

One created by babies. Play to the horn. When you’re up 22, you’ve embarrassed the team enough. No need to taunt. Probably why De Sousa doesn’t play anyways.

You can't say "play to the horn" in one post and then say that Kansas should've just let them score in another post. "Play to the horn" doesn't just apply to one side.

2 hours ago, cthomas said:

The whole 'I was disrespected, I have to retaliate' culture needs to change. That mentality leads to a lot of bad things. Stealing the ball for a score when the other team is just trying to run out the clock is bad form, and frankly, looks silly. However, it deserved an 'eye roll' at most, definitely not a brawl.

This ^

How big of a clown would that KState kid have looked stealing the ball, making a layup, and jogging back down the court just before the buzzer during a 20 point beat down? The last-word would have been the numbers on the scoreboard. 

Eh I don't completely agree. Not taunting to that extent, but if you do something douchey like that then I don't have a problem with someone doing something douchey like taunting back after you get your shot pitched. Standing over him was too far though. 

Had he blocked it and then went back down the floor talking smack I don’t think anyone would have blamed him. That’s fair game. But in no situation can you stand over a guy like that and not expect retaliation. That was where the line was crossed.

4 minutes ago, hoosierdogg said:

What line was crossed when he grabbed the stool?  The point of no return?  If he had flung that stool into someone, he'd have likely spent the night in a cell.  

That's quite the tricky situation.  The law says you can't point a gun at someone but what does it say about another weapon?  It goes back to the culture of the team.  Do you see this happening at a place like Dook?  Would a team like UVa be caught up in this?  I just see this as an implication of how Kansas has run their program for many years now.  If you have control over your team things like this don't occur.  If you go all willy nilly with what rules you enforce and what rules you kind of overlook you get things like this. 

You can't say "play to the horn" in one post and then say that Kansas should've just let them score in another post. "Play to the horn" doesn't just apply to one side.

The logic makes perfect sense. There is in fact a double standard. If you’re getting beat 22 you can either accept defeat and watch or accept and score another basket for sh!ts and giggles. KSU player chose the second route. I don’t care that De Sousa blocked it. He played 5 minutes last night so was probably trying to impress with a block along with being mad about the steal. But at that point he should have either let or go. Or blocked it and let the game end. He didn’t do either of those. The KSU player did nothing wrong unless you think that’s a legitimate “unwritten rule.” De Sousa didn’t do anything wrong until after the block. But he should have just let it go and let the kid have his 2 points and move on.

22 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's quite the tricky situation.  The law says you can't point a gun at someone but what does it say about another weapon?  It goes back to the culture of the team.  Do you see this happening at a place like Dook?  Would a team like UVa be caught up in this?  I just see this as an implication of how Kansas has run their program for many years now.  If you have control over your team things like this don't occur.  If you go all willy nilly with what rules you enforce and what rules you kind of overlook you get things like this. 

I'm not the official BTB legal analyst here but any object that can be considered to cause major physical harm when used by a person could be assault/battery with a deadly weapon. It would be tough to have a stool be comparable to a gun or a knife but it would be up to the DA's office in Lawrence to determine what damage a stool would do esp. in  the hands of a person the size and strength of de Sousa.

To lighten this up, here's the melee voiced by JR.

How much of a threat is Duquesne to Dayton really? Both 5-0 in the A10. Dayton is 16-2 with losses to Kansas and Colorado. Duquesne is 15-2 with losses to UAB and took a butt kicking from Marshall. But I guess crazy things can happen. They won’t be an at large but anything can happen at conference tourney time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

21 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

The logic makes perfect sense. There is in fact a double standard. If you’re getting beat 22 you can either accept defeat and watch or accept and score another basket for sh!ts and giggles. KSU player chose the second route. I don’t care that De Sousa blocked it. He played 5 minutes last night so was probably trying to impress with a block along with being mad about the steal. But at that point he should have either let or go. Or blocked it and let the game end. He didn’t do either of those. The KSU player did nothing wrong unless you think that’s a legitimate “unwritten rule.” De Sousa didn’t do anything wrong until after the block. But he should have just let it go and let the kid have his 2 points and move on.

It's not "accepting defeat." There were 6 seconds left in the game. Defeat was imminent. Maybe if they had tried that hard in the first 39:54 of the game they wouldn't have been down 22 points. Everyone knows that you just dribble out the clock in that situation. You're an NBA guy so I know you've seen that scenario play out dozens of times. The KSU guy loat all chill and thought he'd get an easy two points. If that happened in the NBA there would probably be a confrontation too.  

It's not "accepting defeat." There were 6 seconds left in the game. Defeat was imminent. Maybe if they had tried that hard in the first 39:54 of the game they wouldn't have been down 22 points. Everyone knows that you just dribble out the clock in that situation. You're an NBA guy so I know you've seen that scenario play out dozens of times. The KSU guy loat all chill and thought he'd get an easy two points. If that happened in the NBA there would probably be a confrontation too.  

And I’d say the same about NBA players. They are big babies and they get paid millions to play a game. I don’t care if a team is winning by 50 and does this. Play til the end. But no reason to taunt because that’s where a fight will start. And that’s what happened.

3 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Pink Panthers are up 9 at Michigan at the half

He got a lot of hype, simply for being a brand name, but it makes you question whether Juwan Howard can coach with the talent on that team and how poorly they are playing. Schools like them and Memphis sell their souls to get a “cool” coach that can recruit top talent because of their NBA connections, but it takes X’s and O’s as well as Jimmy’s and Joe’s. 

26 minutes ago, JerryYeagley23 said:

He got a lot of hype, simply for being a brand name, but it makes you question whether Juwan Howard can coach with the talent on that team and how poorly they are playing. Schools like them and Memphis sell their souls to get a “cool” coach that can recruit top talent because of their NBA connections, but it takes X’s and O’s as well as Jimmy’s and Joe’s. 

Don't know much about Penny's staff besides Mike Miller, but Michigan/Juwan was smart enough to hire Phil Martelli of St Joseph's fame. He's wise enough in the college game from X's/O's and recruiting to help Juwan get on his feet. Hopefully IU makes the tourney this year and even so, I hope that we can find an assistant with that deep a background in college ball that can further help Archie in the nuances of game time tactics.

10 hours ago, Deserthoozier said:

How is f-Ing Purdue #27 in Kenpom @ 10-9 overall and only one top 25 win at Mich State and a lot of pretty bad losses. Something smells fishy. Next team with 9 losses is #64 Iowa St.

The real kicker will be when the AP poll comes out next week and they're still receiving votes.

I don't get it either.

10 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Curtis Jones heating up. 3 threes in the second half and just scored a layup. Penn st up 12 with 9:23 to go

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If CuJo schools Devonte next week, I might be in the fetal position for a year.