Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Louisville gets commit from ESPN 100 Jaelynn Withers, making it 2 Espn 100s for Louisville in 2019.

Sounds like they are struggling to regain their footing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Just thinking about the actual violations that occurred under Sampson, the price we had to pay, and the road to be "back" under Crean and compare that to Louisville's violations and the near certainty that they won't struggle nearly as bad as we did makes me sick. 

Phone calls vs. hookers/paying players

3 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Just thinking about the actual violations that occurred under Sampson, the price we had to pay, and the road to be "back" under Crean and compare that to Louisville's violations and the near certainty that they won't struggle nearly as bad as we did makes me sick. 

Phone calls vs. hookers/paying players

They hired a better coach to be fair

5 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

They hired a better coach to be fair

i'm still on a wait and see , none of the "good" coaches had the balls to come try, and there will still be zero roster comparison to 2008 Indiana and 2018 Louisville.

14 hours ago, Iugradman said:

IU hired an awful coach to replace Sampson and most of the players transferred or were booted. Crean made the rebuild take much longer than it should have.

Agreed 100%. There was no reason to have been worse in year 3 than in year 2. That right there was a good sign that Crean wasn't the guy. It seems like his willingness to come when no one else would bought him a lot of good will that caused people to overlook his deficiencies for a while. 

34 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It is 2018 and we are stressing 2008-2010 daily from people telling others they are stuck in the past. Just making sure I have that understood.

It's relevant to the topic at hand. IU was in the dumps for years for minors offenses while Louisville is already back bringing in top 100 players. A big reason for that is that they hired a good coach and we did not. 

29 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

It is 2018 and we are stressing 2008-2010 daily from people telling others they are stuck in the past. Just making sure I have that understood.

Seems about right. Apparently we are revising history to fit the current narrative about the past as well as inventing facts to support the current narrative about the present. Current, past, neither really matter just so long as the narrative can be pushed and the whining can continue. 

Seems about right. Apparently we are revising history to fit the current narrative about the past as well as inventing facts to support the current narrative about the present. Current, past, neither really matter just so long as the narrative can be pushed and the whining can continue. 

I’m not sure what revision or narrative you are referring to but the reasons we went through such a MASSIVE rebuild were that Crean kicked some kids off for crappy grades and likely other reasons, other kids did not want to stay and play for him, recruits did not want to play for him, he refused to build out a balanced team with transfers/Jucos, and he wasn’t the right fit.

That in a nutshell was our first year or two with Crean. It wasn’t the sanctions and such that drug us to such depths, it was our own doing and own choices that did that.

Had he kept on some of the returning scholarship players and retained recruits and filled in gaps with some experienced transfers and jucos we could have remained a respectable team but that’s not what happened

That said, looking at the more recent scenario, Archie retained the entire team and recruiting class and avoided a massive setback. We lost Cujo in-season but 1 transfer under a coaching change isn’t bad. Now we are poised to hopefully be back in the tourney in year two

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not going to rehash what happened 8-10 years ago but there is a whole lot more to the story of why it took so long for IU to rebound and it is not all Crean's fault. Those discussions were tired and worn out back when Crean was still here let alone now. Yet, some can't go a week without interjecting Crean into any discussion. Some behave almost as though Crean wronged them personally and others seemingly are constantly on the lookout for something to complain about. 

31 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

I’m not sure what revision or narrative you are referring to but the reasons we went through such a MASSIVE rebuild were that Crean kicked some kids off for crappy grades and likely other reasons, other kids did not want to stay and play for him, recruits did not want to play for him, he refused to build out a balanced team with transfers/Jucos, and he wasn’t the right fit.

That in a nutshell was our first year or two with Crean. It wasn’t the sanctions and such that drug us to such depths, it was our own doing and own choices that did that.

Had he kept on some of the returning scholarship players and retained recruits and filled in gaps with some experienced transfers and jucos we could have remained a respectable team but that’s not what happened

That said, looking at the more recent scenario, Archie retained the entire team and recruiting class and avoided a massive setback. We lost Cujo in-season but 1 transfer under a coaching change isn’t bad. Now we are poised to hopefully be back in the tourney in year two

Not just back in tourney but hopefully contending for the conference. 

How Archie handled this was masterful. 

1 hour ago, mdn82 said:

Some people like looking in the rear view mirror, instead of looking through the windshield! 

It's relevant to the topic at hand. IU was in the dumps for years for minors offenses while Louisville is already back bringing in top 100 players. A big reason for that is that they hired a good coach and we did not. 

Ok. So if we choose to dwell on something it is ok to live in the past. But if some feel it is prudent to move on then we should? The topic at hand is college basketball. Crean was brought up for the daily reasons he is around here. Louisville is the excuse. Our situations aren’t close. We could talk about the Serbian national team and Crean will get brought up.

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

To be fair and accurate, Crean landed two top 100 recruits (Watford was top 50, Creek was very close to 50) and 4 total top 150 recruits in the 2009 class (the equivalent to the 2018 class for Mack in terms of timing of his hire/first class).