Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Hopefully they don't pass the "everyone can transfer" rule. A 3.0 GPA is incredibly easy, especially with all the resources athletes have. It would open up Pandora's box. 

Then there would be coaches advocating for more difficult testing to keep gpa's low and hiring anti-Marnies so the tutors would suck.

It would be a mess overall.

9 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think it was a head fake more than anything but also Alford refused to interview for the job, either give it to him or not he said. 

and we all know how that ended. 

Zagsblog - 

South Carolina freshman Brian Bowen will declare for the NBA Draft in case the NCAA does not clear him to play next season for the Gamecocks, he told ESPN.Bowen will not sign with an agent at this time so he can sustain his NCAA eligibility. “I just felt that it was the right decision,” Bowen told ESPN. “My goal is still to play college basketball, but I felt as though it makes sense to cover my bases.”Bowen was admitted to South Carolina in January after he transferred from Louisville when the news came out that his family was involved in the FBI probe into college basketball corruption.“This is a mature move from Brian,” Bowen’s lawyer, Jason Setchen said. “We’re hopeful and have faith that the NCAA will make the right decision and allow Brian to play next season for South Carolina, but he’ll also have the opportunity to be drafted if that doesn’t happen.”A five-star recruit coming out of high school, Bowen was a McDonald’s All-American and regarded as one of the best pure scorers in the 2017 class.

NBC Sports -

The Ohio State men’s basketball program has been hit with some of the stupidest recruiting violations I’ve ever heard of.

According to a report from The Lantern, three basketball recruits and one football recruit were on campus on September 9th and, during the visit, took a trip to the set of ESPN Gameday, which was in town for the Ohio State-Oklahoma football game.

During that trip to set, the recruits all met former Ohio State players Kirk Herbstreit, who works for ESPN, and Eddie George, who was a guest picker that day, as well as two other ESPN personalities. Recruits are allowed to meet former players on their visit to campus. They aren’t, however, allowed to meet with the media, and since ESPN’s Gameday staff is considered to be media, Ohio State technically committed a recruiting violation.

Now this is where things get a little bit messy.

According to the story from the Lantern, the football staff self-reported the violation, ended their recruitment of the football player involved and suspended the staff member responsible for the violation for one game. The basketball program, however, very likely landed commitments from two of the recruits. While Ohio State will not confirm which players were specifically involved, reports from the websites that track these things list just three players — USC commit Elijah Weaver and two Ohio State commits, JaeDon Lee and Luther Muhammad — as being on a visit that weekend.

As a result, the NCAA has reportedly ruled the three basketball players ineligible pending an appeal — which, I would bet the naming rights of my second-born son on, they will win even if it costs them a game or two — while ruling that Scoonie Penn, who coordinated the violation, to be suspended for a game.

All because the recruits had a chance to visit the set of College Gameday and got a chance to meet some ESPN TV personalities who probably could not have cared less about the kids they were meeting.

NBC Sports -
The Ohio State men’s basketball program has been hit with some of the stupidest recruiting violations I’ve ever heard of.
According to a report from The Lantern, three basketball recruits and one football recruit were on campus on September 9th and, during the visit, took a trip to the set of ESPN Gameday, which was in town for the Ohio State-Oklahoma football game.
During that trip to set, the recruits all met former Ohio State players Kirk Herbstreit, who works for ESPN, and Eddie George, who was a guest picker that day, as well as two other ESPN personalities. Recruits are allowed to meet former players on their visit to campus. They aren’t, however, allowed to meet with the media, and since ESPN’s Gameday staff is considered to be media, Ohio State technically committed a recruiting violation.
According to the story from the Lantern, the football staff self-reported the violation, ended their recruitment of the football player involved and suspended the staff member responsible for the violation for one game. The basketball program, however, very likely landed commitments from two of the recruits. While Ohio State will not confirm which players were specifically involved, reports from the websites that track these things list just three players — USC commit Elijah Weaver and two Ohio State commits, JaeDon Lee and Luther Muhammad — as being on a visit that weekend.
As a result, the NCAA has reportedly ruled the three basketball players ineligible pending an appeal — which, I would bet the naming rights of my second-born son on, they will win even if it costs them a game or two — while ruling that Scoonie Penn, who coordinated the violation, to be suspended for a game.
All because the recruits had a chance to visit the set of College Gameday and got a chance to meet some ESPN TV personalities who probably could not have cared less about the kids they were meeting.

That’s crazy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

14 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

NBC Sports -

OSU just broke Rule #1: Never self-report violations (especially very minor ones).

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

To be fair MSU is closer to them in total titles. Might be better suited as a rival

Yeah you're right. Our only rivals are UCLA, pUKe, UNC, Duke and Uconn. Another title or 2 and Kansas will be right there.

Class Building. 

Depth. 

Even Depth. 

4 Stars plus at every position. 

Starting 4 star needs a 4 star behind him. 

Is this how Indiana comes back? Crean didn't "class build," but then again, who would have expected Vic to take off? 

Archie can coach. We know this much. Can he recruit? Can he build a program that can withstand early entrees? 

I say YES

Sorry I had to laugh at this from the Purdue board IMG_9743.thumb.jpg.401f5750cb54ca1406210d91967f85b8.jpg

Lmao the best thing to them was Tom Crean and Kelvin Sampson. I know I get annoyed as **** at the Crean references everywhere, but ****. Look at their best years over the last 20 years. Look at where we were as a program. They didn’t do **** until our program was blown up. Even then they can’t sustain. Painter has Tom Crean like sustainability. Cool for PU, but until they can at least get to a final four they can keep spreading herpes for fun. Hell even Davis did that with talent less than they had the last two years. **** em.

2 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Ask the Toiletmakers who gave them their worst loss at Mackey? And when, exactly, that happened? 

The best quote I heard throughout this past year's NCAA tourney? "Statistically, Purdue is more likely to get to the moon than they are to get to a Final Four". Painter and the Boiler-weenies can suck it!