Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iufbfan19

Stop with the fire Wilson nonsense

All of us want IU to succeed on the Field, Court, and in the Classroom. 

Like many I get tired of all the negativity, but let's be honest there hasn't been a whole lot to be positive about on the football field and on the basketball court, for a long time.  Personally, I think Coach Wilson, gets next year, to prove he can have a winning season, and I think Coach Crean gets this season to show something.

I am hoping like hell that both succeed.

Anyone remember Wilson's self timeline he had. It had a catchy phrase like lose big, lose close, win close then win big. Think that was basically it and thought it was tied to four or five years.

Not sure why people are getting so bent out of shape right now...

After bowling green sure... After losing to a Top 10 Michigan State team who is favored to win the National Championship???

Come on...

Upset we lost.  Heck no.  I even predicted a blow out.  But that doesn't mean I am not disgusted by the absolute lack of defense in the 2nd half.  The way the season looks like it might turn out, we appear to be on track for a significantly worse record than last year.  We can possibly get to 5 wins, but that is going to depend on beating Michigan (never easy for us in the Big House) and beating Purdue.  Purdue is looking a lot better than last year, so that may be a tall order.

That being said. I'm still not ready to give up on Coach Wilson.  He came into a crap storm with an awful program, and I do believe is slowly but surely turning things around.

Why is at after this game everyone is upset? We had no shot. Iowa was a winnable game. BGSU was winnable. Both poorly coached despite the injury. Maryland was atrocious. That game I would have expected this thread to come after. It's IU Football. Wilson had a bowl season served up on a platter and blew it. 

The futility builds and builds.  BGSU was a shock, then it was followed with the upset of Missouri.  So not much of a chance to build up angst.

In the last two weeks, we lost the 1st and 2nd Team QB, lost two games by large margins, have shown that our offense is now going to be as bad as the defense; thereby cementing in everyone's minds that it will take divine intervention for us to even finish with the same record as last year.  

I can understand why the thread is coming out now.  The reality of the season has hit home.

I wish we had a coach that builds around defense. I wouldnt mind winning games 17-10.

It's a whole lot easier getting offensive players. They can see how many go on to the NFL and how high powered we are. Defensively, most 3 stars even would pass on us just because their exposure would be minimal. Hopefully we can land some diamonds in the rough and get the guys we need in the future

I have said all along I do not think that Wilson is the guy that will get us to where we want to go (for me 7-9 wins every year and a shock when we do not get to a bowl).

The odd thing ins I think he can get the players in here that will be good enough to get us to that point, just not sold on his ability to coach the talent once it is here.  I think coaching will continue to cost us 1-2 W's a year (so far just BG this year, but did not like the fact that we appeared totally unprepared for MD, we looked like we were still celebrating the Mizzou game).

Now do I have an idea of who the answer may be, not a clue but would start by throwing out the name Chris Klieman (although probably not for about 2 years after a little more of a track record as a HC).  I know many have not heard of him, but is the coach at North Dakota State.  Not saying we make a change now, but I think that is the type we look to if the we do make a change.  A proven HC with exp, comes from a def background (pair with good OC for balance).  If his continues the success they have had, I can see him wanting to make a jump to a FBS program and would think a power 5 conference school would have more draw than others

I have said all along I do not think that Wilson is the guy that will get us to where we want to go (for me 7-9 wins every year and a shock when we do not get to a bowl).

The odd thing ins I think he can get the players in here that will be good enough to get us to that point, just not sold on his ability to coach the talent once it is here.  I think coaching will continue to cost us 1-2 W's a year (so far just BG this year, but did not like the fact that we appeared totally unprepared for MD, we looked like we were still celebrating the Mizzou game).

Now do I have an idea of who the answer may be, not a clue but would start by throwing out the name Chris Klieman (although probably not for about 2 years after a little more of a track record as a HC).  I know many have not heard of him, but is the coach at North Dakota State.  Not saying we make a change now, but I think that is the type we look to if the we do make a change.  A proven HC with exp, comes from a def background (pair with good OC for balance).  If his continues the success they have had, I can see him wanting to make a jump to a FBS program and would think a power 5 conference school would have more draw than others

I hate to even throw this out there...but he may have better offers than IU already calling

I hate to even throw this out there...but he may have better offers than IU already calling

I doubt that, he is in his 1st year and the previous coach who won 3 straight titles left for Wyoming.  It seems to be rare that they make that jump, esp to a power 5 conference.  Last time I remember it was when Tressel left Youngstown for OSU.  I am sure there are others though

I said from the beginning I would have rather had a coach who had achieved success at a smaller school, whether it was non-AQ or FCS. People acted like an FCS coach wasn't "big time" enough to succeed here. 

I'd be okay with it, but I'd want it to be a coach that had been consistent at the smaller school instead of 1 good year and hoping it wasn't a fluke.

I liked the Wilson hire, but I do wish he was a little more defense oriented.  I think he's too offense oriented.

Guys, this job is a coach killer. We got an offensive co. that had won top coordinator award just a couple seasons before we hired him. We are the losingest power conference school in the history of college football. Getting a coach of his caliber is gonna be hard. Even more so if we fire him. 52000 seats that are mostly empty after half time, winning or losing. Be patient. Give the man a couple more seasons.

I remember when we played Virginia in CKWs 1st year, people tripping all over themselves saying Mike London (former FCS champion) was the type of guy we needed to hire.....yea, well he's on the hot seat too.

We need a defensive minded guy, we need a Will Muschamp.....erp

We need a guy with MAC success, MWC success, blah blah blah....Brady Hoke's on line 1

I hear people spouting crap about how Duke can field a competitive team while completely ignoring it took Cutcliffe 5 years to get to 6 wins, and that was after 3-9 seasons in years 3 and 4. God forbid we try a little patience and give our guy 5 seasons.

I remember when we played Virginia in CKWs 1st year, people tripping all over themselves saying Mike London (former FCS champion) was the type of guy we needed to hire.....yea, well he's on the hot seat too.

We need a guy with MAC success, MWC success, blah blah blah....Brady Hoke's on line 1

I hear people spouting crap about how Duke can field a competitive team while completely ignoring it took Cutcliffe 5 years to get to 6 wins, and that was after 3-9 seasons in years 3 and 4. God forbid we try a little patience and give our guy 5 seasons.

BURN THEM ALL!

Good points. It is natural though when the coach tells us not to expect a 3-4 year rebuild period.

"We have some seniors here and they're not looking for a three or four-year process," Wilson said. "They want to win now, and we're going to get this thing going as fast as we can." 12/7/2010

And this regarding playing Nebraska

"We could play them in the conference championship," Wilson said. "If they're good enough to win their division in the next two years."

I could not find his quotes on the rebuild timing but essentially he said something like initially you lose big. You get a little better and you lose close. You get a little better and you win close. Finally you start to win big.

We seem to be in the lose close cycle still which is ok but we do not necc seem better than last year even before Suds went down.

So as long as we do not implode or lose big to Purdue then he is safe for another year.