Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hovadipo

Sorry Mods

I agree with you but am reminded of last year and the year before. He could have shown his chops last year and went 17-15. The year before will go down as his best team in terms of total talent and underachieved as the team sputtered at the end of the B1G and NCAA's. Many keep thinking he's gonna turn into this coaching phenom in year 7. We got what we got and 2012-13 was the year I finally realized it. Its not like we all wanted him to fail.

Last year was another good opportunity for him to prove his coaching abilities, and he certainly didn't impress.  He should own that debacle because every issue with that team was a direct result of his recruiting and/or coaching, not get a pass.  I wouldn't fire him over that, but he did nothing to show he's a good coach.

One shot a winning the national championship was all you needed to conclude he can't?

He's been a head coach for 15 years and hasn't had much if any consistency, and if you gave his resume to a coach at a rival school we'd be just fine if they kept him.

That is not confidence inspiring.

He's been a head coach for 15 years and hasn't had much if any consistency, and if you gave his resume to a coach at a rival school we'd be just fine if they kept him.

I agree that his resume doesn't warrant much confidence in terms of winning a national championship, but I still think he can improve while here. Indiana gives you a unique advantage to succeed. He's had one real shot while at Indiana. I definitely agree with what you've said before that this year is a year where the team will be successful if he can coach it well. This year will be very demonstrative of his coaching ability.

Every school in the conference wants Crean here a long time. Its been a short 7 years for our rivals.

Every school in the conference wants Crean here a long time. Its been a short 7 years for our rivals.

Including the year we won the B1G outright and all the times we've beaten top ten teams? You can't tell me anyone is excited to see Crean and Indiana on their schedule, except Bo Ryan.

I agree that his resume doesn't warrant much confidence in terms of winning a national championship, but I still think he can improve while here. Indiana gives you a unique advantage to succeed. He's had one real shot while at Indiana. I definitely agree with what you've said before that this year is a year where the team will be successful if he can coach it well. This year will be very demonstrative of his coaching ability.

At some point a coach's resume reflects their ability.  Can he improve?  Sure.  He hasn't done it in his first 6 years, and after 15 total I'm more inclined to say he is what he is and what he is isn't very good.

The same could be said about last year's team though, and it certainly didn't look good.  There were other issues (many of which fall on his recruiting, still on him and not warranting a pass), but while Crean had moments on the whole his coaching wasn't a bright spot.

Yeah. It's not exactly surprising that he didn't win a national championship at Marquette. Or that he hasn't won one at Indiana yet.

Not everything is about coaching. I'm always baffled at how many people think it's some kind of linear proposition. It's all about who is hot.

At some point a coach's resume reflects their ability. Can he improve? Sure. He hasn't done it in his first 6 years, and after 15 total I'm more inclined to say he is what he is and what he is isn't very good.

The same could be said about last year's team though, and it certainly didn't look good. There were other issues (many of which fall on his recruiting, still on him and not warranting a pass), but while Crean had moments on the whole his coaching wasn't a bright spot.

I agree that he is no Izzo or Pitino, but I still think we can win with him. He's good for our program as long as he's here in my opinion. If this year is a repeat of last, I'll will completely agree with you, but I don't think it will be.

I've got a friend that used to work with AAU and his words were "Crean is a joke".  He also happens to be a fan of a rival program.

I have no doubt that IU can find the funds to buy out Crean if it comes to that but...then what?  Will they actually have a plan and a short list of high value replacement targets identified and pony up whatever it takes to make it happen? 

What I'm getting at is finding the money to buy out the current coach is fine and nice but what will be left over to go after the best possible replacement?  Based on the last 2 times that IU had an "open" coaching search for the men's basketball job...not holding my breath on that one.  I just don't think the finalists will end up being the sexy picks everyone wants to see.

I have no doubt that IU can find the funds to buy out Crean if it comes to that but...then what?  Will they actually have a plan and a short list of high value replacement targets identified and pony up whatever it takes to make it happen? 

What I'm getting at is finding the money to buy out the current coach is fine and nice but what will be left over to go after the best possible replacement?  Based on the last 2 times that IU had an "open" coaching search for the men's basketball job...not holding my breath on that one.  I just don't think the finalists will end up being the sexy picks everyone wants to see.

Agreed. That's what it comes down to. Is it worth starting over again and losing what good players we do have?

I'm not the biggest Crean fan at this point, though he can win me back, but I also don't want a change made for change sake. I don't want a situation where we fire Crean and then form a committee that gets their 4th choice who is a guy with a lesser resume. If it happens I want the replacement to be targeted and a guy the admin knows they want and can get.

I'm not a boxing fan, but to me the Stevens thing reminds of Pacquioa-Mayweather. We all want to see it and we're all wondering if it will live up to the hype and if it will actually happen. Again, Crean can still win me back, but if I'm being honest I'd ditch him today if Stevens said he wanted to come here

I have no doubt that IU can find the funds to buy out Crean if it comes to that but...then what? Will they actually have a plan and a short list of high value replacement targets identified and pony up whatever it takes to make it happen?

What I'm getting at is finding the money to buy out the current coach is fine and nice but what will be left over to go after the best possible replacement? Based on the last 2 times that IU had an "open" coaching search for the men's basketball job...not holding my breath on that one. I just don't think the finalists will end up being the sexy picks everyone wants to see.

I agree I dont want another rebuild type of situation and getting a different coach is a huge gamble. There is no doubt crean has a lot to learn the question is will he? The offense is so inconsistent sometimes its going great others they stand around let the clock get low and screw up sometimes several possessions in a row and we wont go with his sub patterns I swear the guy dont believe in somebody getting hot because a guy could make three in a row and next second he is out of the game! He must have not have watched the Wisconsin game against us in the big tourney 3 years ago lol

I'm not the biggest Crean fan at this point, though he can win me back, but I also don't want a change made for change sake. I don't want a situation where we fire Crean and then form a committee that gets their 4th choice who is a guy with a lesser resume. If it happens I want the replacement to be targeted and a guy the admin knows they want and can get.

I'm not a boxing fan, but to me the Stevens thing reminds of Pacquioa-Mayweather. We all want to see it and we're all wondering if it will live up to the hype and if it will actually happen. Again, Crean can still win me back, but if I'm being honest I'd ditch him today if Stevens said he wanted to come here

Oh, I definitely agree no more search committees.

I'd walk to Boston and bring Stevens back in a wheelbarrow if he wanted to come here.

WOW I'm sitting back in bed reading every last word on this topic and you all go HARD! Man, I thought I was bad. I'm not going to or try to start nothing with no one, but I will say one thing, give the kids a chance this year because it's not just on Crean the team has to want to win bad enough to get out there and play as a team and win as a team. Yes Crean is the coach, but he is not on the floor playing. Yes, I am one to curse Crean in a heartbeat, but I also get on my son too and tell him when your feet hit that court, YOU BETTER BE A BEAST and make everything count offense and defense. That's it, I have nothing else to say. PLEASE, don't get on me to bad it's just an opinion. cool?
Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I really appreciate your willingness to post here and share experiences firsthand that we can only speculate. All of us love whoever suits up in the candystripes and want us to win every game. For me I will rooting extra hard for Troy just by reading your posts and alittle about you. I really think he will play in the NBA, and I can't wait for that day for you as well. I also hope the team is successful this year and surprises me. I have faith in the players.

WOW I'm sitting back in bed reading every last word on this topic and you all go HARD! Man, I thought I was bad. I'm not going to or try to start nothing with no one, but I will say one thing, give the kids a chance this year because it's not just on Crean the team has to want to win bad enough to get out there and play as a team and win as a team. Yes Crean is the coach, but he is not on the floor playing. Yes, I am one to curse Crean in a heartbeat, but I also get on my son too and tell him when your feet hit that court, YOU BETTER BE A BEAST and make everything count offense and defense. That's it, I have nothing else to say. PLEASE, don't get on me to bad it's just an opinion. cool?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think it is great that you participate here and I agree that we need to give this team a chance to show what it can do before we get all out of sorts. 

Wow--here we go again!  I have a lot of respect for you#1CreanApologist ----and you are not alone in your thinking. 

Wake up people-----maybe we could do better than Crean ---but we could sure do a lot worse!

He checks most of the boxes needed for a great program like IU:

Clean program--check.

Good academics--check.

Players graduate---check.

Great ambassador for IU BBall--check.

Great recruiter---check.

Great assistants---check.

Great strength and conditioning program---check.

Gets players to the NBA/pros---check..

Great recent record against top 20 teams--check.

Great offensive stats/3 point shooting % which should only improve this year---check.

First Big Ten title in years---check.

Got IU ranked at #1 again with a team he built--check.

3 years ago I think IU was one of the top few teams in the NCAA at tourney time but we ran into UK in the sweet 16.

2 years ago IU was one of the top few teams in the country but had a key injury in Hulls when we needed him most against the Syracuse zone.

Last year was a disappointment and Crean cannot afford that again this year. But --we lost most of our players from the #1 ranked team the year before and were very young. UK even had one of those rough years just 2 years ago.

Now Crean has to show he can win consistently and win an NCAA title.  He has earned the right with his performance so far to be given that chance.  If he doesn't---we make a change.  But---the last thing we need to do right now is rebuild yet again when he has so many things going in the right direction!

Yeah--I know----some of you think the grass is always greener on the other side!  But---it's really not!  Sometimes you've got to give the grass a chance to grow--- instead of spraying weed killer on it all the time!

Rant over.