Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hovadipo

Sorry Mods

Do you understand how college athletic programs work? Donor money. Donor support.

Just because you tire of the discussion does not make it untrue.

Of course Donors donate money. I'm not dense. But you missed the entire point. If Glass accepts this buyout money on Crean, he has set the precedent that the donors control his job. The donors now say who stays and goes. The University now has this as a headline "Fans pay for coach to be fired." As a respected University and as a respected AD, Glass knows this would be committing career suicide. Where does it stop? Remember the grief Ole Miss got from all media outlets for having the fans pay for the cleanup and fine for rushing the field? ESPN hammered them and that was way less of an incident than this. This will never happen and this thread won't be about Stevens and you know it. It will be another Fire Crean thread like we have seen 8,000 times on this site. It goes nowhere and divides all of us. We are just over a week away from Hoosier Hysteria. Let the season play out and then we can get our pitchforks out. 

Of course Donors donate money. I'm not dense. But you missed the entire point. If Glass accepts this buyout money on Crean, he has set the precedent that the donors control his job. The donors now say who stays and goes. The University now has this as a headline "Fans pay for coach to be fired." As a respected University and as a respected AD, Glass knows this would be committing career suicide. Where does it stop? Remember the grief Ole Miss got from all media outlets for having the fans pay for the cleanup and fine for rushing the field? ESPN hammered them and that was way less of an incident than this. This will never happen and this thread won't be about Stevens and you know it. It will be another Fire Crean thread like we have seen 8,000 times on this site. It goes nowhere and divides all of us. We are just over a week away from Hoosier Hysteria. Let the season play out and then we can get our pitchforks out. 

Donors also donate to the university itself.  I'm not taking a stance on this, but the reality is that donors (it's  a specific few) have a definitive say.  That's just the way it is.  

Donors also donate to the university itself.  I'm not taking a stance on this, but the reality is that donors (it's  a specific few) have a definitive say.  That's just the way it is.  

The only time donors have a direct effect on how the University allocates money is if they specifically choose where they donate. I worked at the IU Fund call center. They have different funds they can donate to. If they are big spenders, they can help get a new building built like the new School of International Studies. They can pay for Cook Hall. But for a donor to contact the AD and say "I will pledge this amount of money to help let Crean go" does 2 things:

1) It sets the precedent that if the money is not accepted, they will no longer donate

2) It allows a donor to directly be involved in the termination of a staff member. 

Crean is a staff member of Indiana University just like any professor. The school won't be held hostage about who the staff members are because Universities have integrity. If they allow a staff members fate to be let in to the hands of donors, they are saying that they can and will be bought on matters of termination. That sets an extremely bad precedent and makes Glass look like a puppet. 

The only time donors have a direct effect on how the University allocates money is if they specifically choose where they donate. I worked at the IU Fund call center. They have different funds they can donate to. If they are big spenders, they can help get a new building built like the new School of International Studies. They can pay for Cook Hall. But for a donor to contact the AD and say "I will pledge this amount of money to help let Crean go" does 2 things:

1) It sets the precedent that if the money is not accepted, they will no longer donate

2) It allows a donor to directly be involved in the termination of a staff member. 

Crean is a staff member of Indiana University just like any professor. The school won't be held hostage about who the staff members are because Universities have integrity. If they allow a staff members fate to be let in to the hands of donors, they are saying that they can and will be bought on matters of termination. That sets an extremely bad precedent and makes Glass look like a puppet. 

Look I work for a multi billionaire who donated to half of UNC.  All he had to do ( I watched first hand) was pick up the phone and told the President what to do, and he did it.  Simple as that.  I know there are rules per say, but guess what they were quickly thrown out the window when he called.  I gaurantee you and know it's the same way with IU.  They are puppets (the AD and President) but what they do is try to gather other donors (also seen first hand) and ask them to sway the bigger donor to stay quite.  That's how the game is played.  It's that simple.  

I'm actually thinking lately that Crean will have a great year this year and will easily retain his job, I'm just telling you my perspective and that is all.  

Look I work for a multi billionaire who donated to half of UNC. All he had to do ( I watched first hand) was pick up the phone and told the President what to do, and he did it. Simple as that. I know there are rules per say, but guess what they were quickly thrown out the window when he called. I gaurantee you and know it's the same way with IU. They are puppets (the AD and President) but what they do is try to gather other donors (also seen first hand) and ask them to sway the bigger donor to stay quite. That's how the game is played. It's that simple.

I'm actually thinking lately that Crean will have a great year this year and will easily retain his job, I'm just telling you my perspective and that is all.

Yeah if top donors call people and say we aren't donating if any coach is here, things will change.

As far as this thread goes I'm finished. Stevens isn't coming here so stop holding your breath. I would like to hope my University and my AD has more principles than to be pushed around by the 1% because they have money to whine with. Glass needs to make his decisions based on what is best for our program, not our donors. If Crean doesn't make the dance this year, I'm all for looking at other options. But it won't be Stevens. I would bet all of the money I have on it.

Let's be real here though. An athletic department is here for one purpose to the university. That is to add revenue. If there is upside to firing a coach and gaining money, the university will. If not, they won't. The AD's job is to put the people and facilities in place to maximize revenue while promoting the university. If he can't do that, he would be gone.

All this talk is premature and divides us---but Coaches must perform---I gave Crean a pass last year because of all the good players we lost, because we were young, and because we actually were very competitive. This year is on him to get it turned around.  The IU model is 2-3 bad years in a row--- and you're gone. I think Crean gets it done this year!

What's the old Paula Abdul song: "What have you done for me lately?" (Sorry 80's flashback)

What is all this crean talk divides us crap when knight was here u either loved him or hated him but hoosier fans could agree we loved r team. The only time and possibly will b the only time we could all agree on a coach was with davis but not in a good way lol. I believe this debate will reign forever with this fan base we care to much for one man to do everything right and that is ok. I do think a couple championships would help crean out a little lol but there will b some who will find he did something wrong and that is ok.

What is all this crean talk divides us crap when knight was here u either loved him or hated him but hoosier fans could agree we loved r team. The only time and possibly will b the only time we could all agree on a coach was with davis but not in a good way lol. I believe this debate will reign forever with this fan base we care to much for one man to do everything right and that is ok. I do think a couple championships would help crean out a little lol but there will b some who will find he did something wrong and that is ok.

Of course it's ok to disagree with how he coaches. The point is that it should be relevant to something like a post game thread or something of that nature. Bill Simmons saying Brad Stevens should coach here is not a valid reason to have the same old back and forth over Crean. There isn't one viewpoint that's going to be presented that will change anyone's mind so close to the season. Let it play out. Let's talk about Crean's job when it's relevant. It's impossible to count how many Brad Stevens threads and topics that have been brought up. They always have the same rhetoric and always end the same. It's just not worth it at this point. 

What is exceeding expectations? Going to the nit sure isn't.

Heck in 6 seasons we've "exceeded expectations" a total of once.

That's just dumb. No fan will be upset if we exceed expectations. I don't get how some people can really think that crap.

You didn't know?  Not thinking Crean is much of a coach means you're rooting for the team to fail.

Guys I am a die hard IU fan for as long as I can remember. I have lurked on this board for a long time and can't wait for the latest IU basketball info. I have just had all the negative bs that I can stand and if that offends anyone I am not sorry. I can not wait for this season to begin. Go IU!

Ok I get it. We should all be negative all the time period. Man I thought Purdue and Kentucky fans were dumb.

We are allowed to be critical, and use Crean's resume to form opinions on what we'll be able to achieve with him as coach.  Fans of other programs are critical of their coaches too, and coaches like K and Cal have all achieved more than Crean has in his career so yeah we're going to be critical too.  Guess what though?  The differences of opinion is what makes this board entertaining, if everyone was "Crean is an outstanding coach, rah rah rah" this place would be boring.

Besides, it doesn't matter if a person has an optimistic or pessimistic view because what's going to happen is going to happen either way.

Of course it's ok to disagree with how he coaches. The point is that it should be relevant to something like a post game thread or something of that nature. Bill Simmons saying Brad Stevens should coach here is not a valid reason to have the same old back and forth over Crean. There isn't one viewpoint that's going to be presented that will change anyone's mind so close to the season. Let it play out. Let's talk about Crean's job when it's relevant. It's impossible to count how many Brad Stevens threads and topics that have been brought up. They always have the same rhetoric and always end the same. It's just not worth it at this point. 

That article was nothing but conjecture.About as stupid as  Mike Woodson taking over after his firing.Total BS.

Crean isn't going anywhere unless we completely stink the place up this year.I have a feeling that wont happen.Do I agree with every thing he does ? No, but I agree with Camp we should discuss that at a more appropriate time.