Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

People in Indy not happy about Vic and think it means he will leave after next year. JMV was especially hard on him on radio Friday.

The reality is we live in a time where athletes are prima dona's and won't play under less than ideal conditions. Its just current society seeping into sports.

People in Indy not happy about Vic and think it means he will leave after next year. JMV was especially hard on him on radio Friday.
The reality is we live in a time where athletes are prima dona's and won't play under less than ideal conditions. Its just current society seeping into sports.

How are we to judge athletes like Vic on his decisions for his own life? He is coming off a devastating injury that might have ended most athlete’s careers. He worked his way back to playing real games and then the season was halted. The rhythm is now gone, and he is more susceptible to re-injury. He is also about to enter a contract year. If he hurts himself again, he will not get near the amount of money he would have gotten if he were to get to 100% and had an All-Star year.

If he leaves, I’m sure it’s in his best interest whether that be money or a better situation for him. Vic knows himself best, and he shouldn’t be called a prima donna. He is doing what he thinks is best for him. His health and life are more important than the Pacers making the Eastern Conference semifinals.

Prima Donna? Less than ideal? We are in a pandemic, and the numbers are growing. It’s not like they’re not playing because it’s too humid or they don’t like the catering. These guys rely on their physical gifts for a living. Why risk it for an experiment? How many stories of teams and players testing positive after resuming workouts. I have heard no fans upset by this. Ridiculous to bag on someone for not playing (when not playing is a presented option).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

22 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Prima Donna? Less than ideal? We are in a pandemic, and the numbers are growing. It’s not like they’re not playing because it’s too humid or they don’t like the catering. These guys rely on their physical gifts for a living. Why risk it for an experiment? How many stories of teams and players testing positive after resuming workouts. I have heard no fans upset by this. Ridiculous to bag on someone for not playing (when not playing is a presented option).

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I decided to look at the Pacers' Facebook page comments (thank you in advance for your condolences) and was honestly shocked at how many fans are saying they want him traded because of this. Others were saying it's Paul George all over again and he wants to play for Miami when his contract is up, even some saying his injury won't fully heal and he'll eventually go the Andrew Luck route and just quit. 

Indy sports just can't catch a break the last few years. 

If we're being honest about the facts, the virus poses an incredibly small risk to professional athletes. So many college and pro athletes have tested positive for the virus without even knowing they had it because they didn't have any symptoms. And the NBA bubble is going to be one of the safest places in the country. Oladipo isn't sitting out because of the virus. He plans to travel to the bubble and be around his teammates. He's just worried about getting injured. I can't say I blame him. He just came back from a tough injury and the Pacers aren't contenders this season. No reason to risk it.

The season has already been significantly shortened and there's no guarantee the re-scheduled season won't get cut short if too many players insist on playing doubles ping pong (sarcasm intended) and a virus outbreak completely ends it.  I harbor no ill will toward Vic for his decision and protecting his career.  Love to see the comments from the Pacer 'fans' should Vic re-sign with the Pacers.

The problem here is there is a backstory to what Vic did. Its not that he chose to sit out which is understandable, but the manner in which he did it.

Vic said Wednesday he was taking it day by day and would decide later. Then Kevin Pritchard went on JMV Thursday and made it sound like Vic would play as far as he knew. Vic then leaked the next day that he would not play to Shams Charnia who is a national writer for the Athletic rather then telling team first AFTER telling local media Wednesday he would decide later (nothing changed in two days so he was not truthful two days earlier). This caught the Pacers off guard and forced the Pacers to release a statement four hours later supporting the decision after doing some PR scrambling.

This is what has led to all the anger and speculation that he is not happy and wants to leave Pacers which may or may not be true.

Either way Vic did not handle this well. Everyone fully supports him not playing, but the manner he handled it was very diva like and unprofessional to leak it to media first rather than tell team (and yes Vic directly told the reporter he was not playing directly rather then informing team, it was not leaked through a third party like what happened with Andrew Luck). 

3 hours ago, Aaron said:

The problem here is there is a backstory to what Vic did. Its not that he chose to sit out which is understandable, but the manner in which he did it.

Vic said Wednesday he was taking it day by day and would decide later. Then Kevin Pritchard went on JMV Thursday and made it sound like Vic would play as far as he knew. Vic then leaked the next day that he would not play to Shams Charnia who is a national writer for the Athletic rather then telling team first AFTER telling local media Wednesday he would decide later (nothing changed in two days so he was not truthful two days earlier). This caught the Pacers off guard and forced the Pacers to release a statement four hours later supporting the decision after doing some PR scrambling.

This is what has led to all the anger and speculation that he is not happy and wants to leave Pacers which may or may not be true.

Either way Vic did not handle this well. Everyone fully supports him not playing, but the manner he handled it was very diva like and unprofessional to leak it to media first rather than tell team (and yes Vic directly told the reporter he was not playing directly rather then informing team, it was not leaked through a third party like what happened with Andrew Luck). 

I rarely put any stock into what pro athletes say anymore. Many of them are flaky and are vague with their intentions; it's what money and fame do to people. Peyton Mannings don't grow on trees. 

19 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

I rarely put any stock into what pro athletes say anymore. Many of them are flaky and are vague with their intentions; it's what money and fame do to people. Peyton Mannings don't grow on trees. 

That's for sure.

From everyone I have talked to (and I have spoken with three people who are somewhat close to the situation) Vic has turned into a bit off an @$$ and has no appreciation for basically Indiana (IU and Pacers) making him who he is. Very sad that one of IU's own has turned out this way.

I think we can still appreciate what he did at IU and be forever grateful while also acknowledging he has let the fame in the NBA go to his head and has no loyalty to Indiana anymore and only himself.

Speaks to larger issue in society with how some people handle fame and is very unfortunate.

Welp, it’s been decided. Victor Oladipo, our favorite fun-loving, heartfelt, great guy has let FAME AND FORTUNE get to his head and turned into a selfish, ungrateful a-hole.

Our insider has spoken!

1 hour ago, Aaron said:

That's for sure.

From everyone I have talked to (and I have spoken with three people who are somewhat close to the situation) Vic has turned into a bit off an @$$ and has no appreciation for basically Indiana (IU and Pacers) making him who he is. Very sad that one of IU's own has turned out this way.

I think we can still appreciate what he did at IU and be forever grateful while also acknowledging he has let the fame in the NBA go to his head and has no loyalty to Indiana anymore and only himself.

Speaks to larger issue in society with how some people handle fame and is very unfortunate.

In my opinion your take is so off point it’s bizarre.

39 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

In my opinion your take is so off point it’s bizarre.

Sorry but its true.

I love Vic and he is no different from most NBA players and I will be forever be grateful for his time at IU. With that said it does need to be acknowledged that he has let fame go to his head a bit. It does not change the fact that he is an IU great and has done a ton for the university with his donation to the lounge.  

I have zero problem with Vic not playing and many are not. The way he handled it though was truly egotistical and self serving. He lied to both the Pacers and the local media all last week than leaked it to the National media late Friday afternoon without telling Pacers first (and yes I know for a fact this is true).

No one can say that is a good way to handle an announcement you are not playing.

1 minute ago, Aaron said:

Sorry but its true.

I love Vic and he is no different from most NBA players and I will be forever be grateful for his time at IU. With that said it does need to be acknowledged that he has let fame go to his head a bit. It does not change the fact that he is an IU great and has done a ton for the university with his donation to the lounge.  

I have zero problem with Vic not playing and many are not. The way he handled it though was truly egotistical and self serving. He lied to both the Pacers and the local media all last week than leaked it to the National media late Friday afternoon without telling Pacers first (and yes I know for a fact this is true).

No one can say that is a good way to handle an announcement you are not playing.

Hey... I'm not on the inside of any of this, so I absolutely embrace that facts that others may have are not part of my consideration, but it seems sooooo out of character. Your post is (in part) bizarre to me because you are not a 'bomb-throwing' poster.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey... I'm not on the inside of any of this, so I absolutely embrace that facts that others may have are not part of my consideration, but it seems sooooo out of character. Your post is (in part) bizarre to me because you are not a 'bomb-throwing' poster.

I am not usually since I don't hear a lot, but I do know a couple people around the Pacers and I do know he has become a bit of a pain to deal with and duped the team with this decision. He has the wrong people in his ear right now and is not making the best decisions showing loyalty to the State that has made him who he is. 

We can still love Vic and I do for his time at IU and how he has given back for the lounge and he is a great guy at heart. He is just not good at handling fame and has wrong people in his ear now.