Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You can just go back and look at team records. There are 3 more teams now than there were in day the Bulls first title season though. So it changes things. But teams still played the same number of games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

None of that is evidence that the league was weaker! How does any of that change things?

Talent pool has expanded greatly since then. I would imagine their are about the same number of Americans in the league. 

A much larger talent pool. A much deeper talent pool. And overseas players are WAY better than they used be. Teams are much more dynamic now with the use of the 3 point line. Things are different now. Obviously the greats would be great no matter the era.

18 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

A much larger talent pool. A much deeper talent pool. And overseas players are WAY better than they used be. Teams are much more dynamic now with the use of the 3 point line. Things are different now. Obviously the greats would be great no matter the era.

Ewing,  Olajuwon, Detlef, Peja, Vlade, Sabonis,  Kucoc, Smits, Blackmon, Nash, Drazen. WAY better is an overstatement to say the least!

Ewing,  Olajuwon, Detlef, Peja, Vlade, Sabonis,  Kucoc, Smits, Blackmon, Nash, Drazen. WAY better is an overstatement to say the least!

Right... meaning players who didn’t go to school in the US. Like Dirk, Parker, Ginobili, Doncic, Porzingis, Giannis, Gobert etc.

Well, you’re wrong.

I just liked his consistency at both ends. Magic definitely had the better skill set and was a matchup nightmare on offense. Pretty solid defender. At that time in the NBA there was nothing talent wise in the early 80s that could stop him. I get it. I figured someone would question that.

I just liked his consistency at both ends. Magic definitely had the better skill set and was a matchup nightmare on offense. Pretty solid defender. At that time in the NBA there was nothing talent wise in the early 80s that could stop him. I get it. I figured someone would question that.

There also wasn’t a whole lot of defense in the 80’s. Offense was king. It was all about the entertainment value, the showtime.

I wonder why there is so much more talent nowadays...?! It couldn’t have been MJ and the Dream Team

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Definitely with the European players. That and Drazen Petrović/Arvydas Sabonis.

A little Thursday trivia related to IU in the NBA.

Most points scored in an #NBA  game by an #iubb alumnus: :

50 - Eric Gordon

48 - Walt Bellamy (2 times), Mike Woodson

47 - Bellamy (2), Victor Oladipo, Isiah Thomas

46 - Bellamy (2), Thomas, Dick Van Arsdale

45 - Bellamy (6), Oladipo

So this Bellamy guy was pretty good you say.

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

Here is the roster of the 1972-1973 New York Knicks that won the NBA championship that season. Kinda crazy the amount of “small school” kids on the roster. 

_________

It was a different era. In the 1960s and early 70s many of the "big schools" were still not recruiting African American players like they do now. At some of the big schools there was an unwritten rule that there could not be more African Americans than white players on the basketball squads. Besides, many black families were more comfortable sending their kids to the smaller schools that had a better history with African American students.

Loaded Chicken Sandwich

Here is the roster of the 1972-1973 New York Knicks that won the NBA championship that season. Kinda crazy the amount of “small school” kids on the roster. 
_________
It was a different era. In the 1960s and early 70s many of the "big schools" were still not recruiting African American players like they do now. At some of the big schools there was an unwritten rule that there could not be more African Americans than white players on the basketball squads. Besides, many black families were more comfortable sending their kids to the smaller schools that had a better history with African American students.

Small school kids are still leaving their mark today. The media just makes it seem that you can only be good in the NBA if you go to Duke or Kentucky. One of the best duos in the league is Weber State and Lehigh(Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum).

Episodes 7 and 8 of the Last Dance were my favorite so far.  I loved that they ended episode 8 with Reggie saying he wanted to retire Jordan.  That gave me chills.  The '98 conference finals was one of only two teams to take a Jordan led Bulls championship team to 7 games.  That Pacers team was loaded and great (and my favorite team growing up).  Can't wait to see them get into the details of that series.

Episodes 7 and 8 of the Last Dance were my favorite so far.  I loved that they ended episode 8 with Reggie saying he wanted to retire Jordan.  That gave me chills.  The '98 conference finals was the only time any team took a Jordan led Bulls championship team to 7 games.  That Pacers team was loaded and great (and my favorite team growing up).  Can't wait to see them get into the details of that series.

Didn’t the Knicks take them to 7 early in the run?

Yep, they did in 91-92... Good catch, I forgot about that.

I forgot I asked and didn’t look myself. I couldn’t remember if that was right before they started winning or not. Still. 2 game 7’s throughout that whole run is amazing. They weren’t just beating teams, they dominated regularly.

42 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I forgot I asked and didn’t look myself. I couldn’t remember if that was right before they started winning or not. Still. 2 game 7’s throughout that whole run is amazing. They weren’t just beating teams, they dominated regularly.

I had heard that same stat before.  Feel like it was in a documentary of something