Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Magnanimous

Will RB depth cause Coleman to return next year?

This kid's a special talent and is finally getting some national recognition, but this is a ridiculously deep year in terms of quality RBs who will be entering the draft. Gurley, Abdullah, and Gordon to name a few, and all play at higher profile programs. All four of them, including Coleman, are first round talents, but given the depth of this year's class and the NFL's move away from the running game (no first round RBs the last two drafts), Coleman is looking like a 3rd round pick (who could jump these guys with a good combine like Latimer did). Do you think that could push him to return and try to move up, or is it just not worth it to play another year at IU?

This kid's a special talent and is finally getting some national recognition, but this is a ridiculously deep year in terms of quality RBs who will be entering the draft. Gurley, Abdullah, and Gordon to name a few, and all play at higher profile programs. All four of them, including Coleman, are first round talents, but given the depth of this year's class and the NFL's move away from the running game (no first round RBs the last two drafts), Coleman is looking like a 3rd round pick (who could jump these guys with a good combine like Latimer did). Do you think that could push him to return and try to move up, or is it just not worth it to play another year at IU?

I don't know how much college RB's consider this, but the average career span for a RB in the NFL is pretty short. For a lot of guys it makes more sense to go after their junior year than putting another year of wear and tear on their bodies before they get to the NFL.

I would think that could impact Coleman's decision, along with, as Banksy mentioned, the info he gets back from the NFL/coaches/scouts/etc.

Agree with the comments that have been made so far. Worth noting that at least in recent drafts being drafted in the later rounds or second/third rounds isn't really that bad for running backs. Number of guys have come into the league at the running back position. He'd obviously be banking on himself being able to perform well enough for that second contract. I've obviously been pretty strong that I think he is gone after this year, think he is going to have a really good career

Agree with the comments that have been made so far. Worth noting that at least in recent drafts being drafted in the later rounds or second/third rounds isn't really that bad for running backs. Number of guys have come into the league at the running back position. He'd obviously be banking on himself being able to perform well enough for that second contract. I've obviously been pretty strong that I think he is gone after this year, think he is going to have a really good career

I agree that he'll leave. I guess the biggest thing that could help him jump the other guys is pass blocking. I haven't really paid attention to that part of his game, but anyone have any insight into his pass protection skills?

I agree that he'll leave. I guess the biggest thing that could help him jump the other guys is pass blocking. I haven't really paid attention to that part of his game, but anyone have any insight into his pass protection skills?

I don't think we really run a scheme that has guys stay in to give extra protection very often, running backs or tight ends. Never really recall him getting out there and picking up many blitzes or free defensive linemen. 

As mentioned above, I think he will go to the NFL draft after this season. His stock should be high and the risk of injury IMHO is too great to come back next year. Running backs take a pounding, often from guys that significantly outweigh them.

Along with everyone else, I don't see a scenario where he comes back. He could easily impress more than the other RB's mentioned in the OP come pro day/combine time. Can't wait to see him make millions.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Along with everyone else, I don't see a scenario where he comes back. He could easily impress more than the other RB's mentioned in the OP come pro day/combine time. Can't wait to see him make millions.

I would love to see him go to the 3rd round and my Colts get him... Just because he's from IU

I would love to see him go to the 3rd round and my Colts get him... Just because he's from IU

Nah...Forte only has so many miles left on his tires up in the windy city. :)

Tevin to Indy would be fantastic, especially if we got him in the 3rd round. He could be the main back, and T-Rich and Ballard could give him a break now and then. That, however, is considering Bradshaw doesn't come back, which if he keeps it up this season I don't think he will be.