Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

(2016) SG Bruce Brown to Miami

If we add Brown---this class is shaping up to be EPIC. I have to think the quick decision bodes well in our favor.  Maybe the Purdue visit put us over the edge.  While he was there visiting probably the only thing they talked about was IU.  Maybe their complex pushed him to an early commit!  :biggrin:

I am loath to get too excited about the class.  Some of us still remember "The Movement".

I am loath to get too excited about the class.  Some of us still remember "The Movement".

That was an outlier. Highly ranked recruiting classes end up producing good fruit more often than not. This class seems to be full of hard working, quality young men. Another thing you may be overlooking is the fact that most of these kids in this incoming class, have immediate roles to fill. Of all of the 2012 recruiting class, only Yogi Ferrell came in with a hole to fill. The others came in with glaring weaknesses. Most everyone knew that Jeremy was a lazy player, that Hanner could dunk but not do much more, and that Jurkin was a string bean project.

As for this class:

CuJo: Needs to improve ball handling and strength, but doesn't have to come in and start right away.

Bruce Brown (assuming he commits): Can guard anyone at his position, and has a high basketball IQ, and is very much filling a need on the perimeter.

De'Ron Davis: Workaholic, great size, good length, good kid, and is filling an immediete need.

Grant Gelon: Nobody expects a ton out of him but he's a known knockdown shooter, which Nick Z. has proven that his type can thrive in our offense.

That was an outlier. Highly ranked recruiting classes end up producing good fruit more often than not. This class seems to be full of hard working, quality young men. Another thing you may be overlooking is the fact that most of these kids in this incoming class, have immediate roles to fill. Of all of the 2012 recruiting class, only Yogi Ferrell came in with a hole to fill. The others came in with glaring weaknesses. Most everyone knew that Jeremy was a lazy player, that Hanner could dunk but not do much more, and that Jurkin was a string bean project.

There's some hindsight in play here IMO.  I remember a lot of people saying Jeremy could challenge for a starting spot and Hanner could be one-and-done because they watched YouTube highlights.  I also remember a certain poster saying Jeremy was lazy and posters telling him it'd be different at IU.

Jerry Meyer @jerrymeyer247
I'm thinking Indiana wins out for Bruce Brown. But tougher call than numbers show.

i don't really get the "tougher call" part. Following the timeline, I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't come to IU. Everyone was saying it was a springtime decision, and that he wasn't signing until then. Well, Davis announces he's coming to IU and apparently we turn up the heat on other guards and all of the sudden Brown has a final 2 and decision in a couple days. I could be wrong, but it just screams IU to me.

i don't really get the "tougher call" part. Following the timeline, I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't come to IU. Everyone was saying it was a springtime decision, and that he wasn't signing until then. Well, Davis announces he's coming to IU and apparently we turn up the heat on other guards and all of the sudden Brown has a final 2 and decision in a couple days. I could be wrong, but it just screams IU to me.

That's what it seems but we have no idea what has been going on with Miami and their recruitment with him.

That's what it seems but we have no idea what has been going on with Miami and their recruitment with him.

We don't, and recruiting experts don't either. A Twitter search for "Bruce Brown Miami" or something similar brings back a couple tweets about the weekend he went to visit and literally nothing else.

We don't, and recruiting experts don't either. A Twitter search for "Bruce Brown Miami" or something similar brings back a couple tweets about the weekend he went to visit and literally nothing else.

I know sometimes the dark horse comes out on top.