Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

FortWayneHoosier

This Started It All for Me

Where did you go to HS?  I know a retired Spanish teacher who has really good season tix.

good ole Borden High down here in sunny Southern Indiana.

edit: I'm not 100percent sure my old Spanish teacher still has those seats...I know he did for 30+ years, but is getting up there in age, and I know they travel a lot to the south during the winters now.

What started it all for me was sitting in the floor watching IU basketball with my parents, who met at IU. I was born in 1969 so the early memories are good ones for sure.

Two additional things.

Watching the 1976 season at the tender age of 7 I thought the players were the biggest, most grown up people I'd ever seen. Now the players look like little kids. Perspective is funny.

Mom and dad met when mom and some of her girlfriends got a football and went out in front of the dorm pretending they didn't know how to throw it, hoping some strapping young men would come along to "help" them. It worked.

Their love of IU, the school, is why it was the only college to which I applied and why I went there.

There have been good times in basketball and will be again. I'm looking forward to them.

Born and raised in southern Indiana.  Never missed an IU game on the tube from the late 50's on.  Graduated from IU in '69 and moved to Illinois to teach.  Retired in 2013.  Still bleed cream and crimson.  Youngest daughter was class of 2000.

I grew up hating IU because I thought they were stupid for firing Bob Knight (I was 10 when he was fired)... I had never watched an IU game until my Freshman year of college. My junior year was the first year with Zeller and instantly I became a huge fan... I've since watched tape of old IU bball and read a few books about Bob Knight to try and make up for lost time

Im born and raised in Indiana, but for some reason my family always rooted for Michigan, pUKe, purdue. Got to high school and the first game IU game i watched was with Eric Gordon, and ive never looked back. What got you guys into IU? I know most of you guys were just born into it, but for a guy like me i had to figure out because i didnt know any better lol. heres his highlight that i watch once a week lol!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

sorry i dont know how to embed videos if someone could help me out  :laugh:

My first memory of Hoosier basketball was watching Jon McGlocklin and the Van Arsdale twins with my dad - on a tiny black and white tv. Pretty much been hooked ever since. I was fortunate enough to attend IU from 1972-1977.

My dad, like many of you, was a huge IU fan. I grew up with IU bball on Channel 4 and my dad yelling at the TV. It used to annoy me and I couldn't imagine getting that worked up. Well, here I am at 32 years old and I do the same thing. My wife cracks up (sometimes) at the things I say to the TV. There are times when I have to leave the bedroom during the late games and go back to my cave so I don't wake her. I do my best to watch every game - to the extent I was watching the IU v. SMU game this year on my phone while in Austin, TX at a buddies rehearsal dinner. The only time you won't see me yelling at the TV now is when I watch with my dad - I still sit quiet and let him rant/rave. I don't get nearly as annoyed - I have even caught myself smiling a few times. 

I didn't take high school seriously enough to attend IU so I went north to Ball State. Although my degree says BSU, my heart will always say IU. I traveled there nearly every weekend to spend time on campus with friends and tailgate/attend games. I still root my for alma mater, but not with the same passion as my childhood team. I will forever bleed the cream and crimson - so will my boy, who is due in May. 

I was 10 years old in 75.....Cried my eyes out when we lost to the cheatin Cats. Watched the 76 undefeated team and have been hooked ever since. I used to watch all the games with my father until they got rid of RMK. My dad wouldn't watch anymore after that. When he did, he didn't like what he saw. I guess I am a throwback to the old days. I really hope that one day we get back to using Indiana kids. Play smart and disciplined, and most of all, play good solid defense. I like the high flyers and scoring as much as anyone. But when it comes to hanging banners, there is no substitute for good defense. 

Literally the very first memory I have in my life is of me sitting on my dads lap watching the 76 team play at 4 years old. Second memory I have is sitting in the same spot watching the Big Red Machine win the WS. Been a life long fan of the Hoosiers and the Reds. Yea, I was around when this program was the King of NCAA basketball.