Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
rebelhoosier848891

Most Underrated IU BBall Player All Time

Hoosier Nation---who is your most underrated IU BBall player of all time? This can be the guy who gets "no respect"  for his contributions or who was the "glue guy" for a team but never got the press or the headlines that others received.

I pick MICHAEL LEWIS.

Michael is a Southern Indiana guy originally from Jasper, Indiana-- who is the all time assist leader at IU but never seems to get the credit he deserves for his contributions as a point guard for IU. Michael was a fiery red head who actually had enough guts to argue with Coach Knight on the sidelines! He is now an assistant coach for the Butler Bulldogs. I always enjoyed watching him play!

Who you got and why?????

I was thinking about MIchael Lewis. 

However, I'll go with Greg Graham.  I know he was a first round draft pick, so how can he be "underrated."  The thing is, I think how good he was sometimes gets lost since he played with Calbert.  On any other IU team, he probably would have been the man and not the second option.  

Love it Parakeet--and so true!!! Calbert Cheaney was so smooth but Greg Graham was so athletic--Victorish!  I remember the sound of the crowd when he would steal the ball because we knew what was coming...His Tomahawk Jams were legendary!  Thanks for that stroll down memory lane!.

Jared Jeffries

He was phenomenal in college. He got respect during those times but no one mentions him in Best lists or Favorite lists or hardly at all.

He was BIG player of year in 2002 and consensus All American. Drafted 1st round 11 overall as a Sophomore! He would have been incredible as a 4 year player. He scored 24 and 15 Rebs against Duke in the 2002 tourney run.

Good guy, great player. Very versatile collegiate player. Underwhelming as a Pro but still had an 11 year career. He was incredible at Indiana!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'll go Watford. Everyone was like "YEAH WATSHOT YEAH", when in reality he was a fantastic all around player. Great shooter, solid rebounder, and good 4 year player for IU.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This. He was my pick and I think you said it best.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My first thought was to go with Jimmy Thomas. I agree with Woody with his critique on Jimmy: big, physical guard that would often lead the team in rebounding. But I think I'll put Matt Nover's name in the underrated group. He was undersized to play center, but Knight praised Nover for his workhorse mentality. He didn't back down. No quit.

Dean Garrett.

He was a huge defensive presence on the '87 team, and when Keith Smart faded in '88, Dean was by far the best player left. 

He shot a high percentage, was (and is) a really good guy, and was a true big who was also mobile and very, very good defensively.

My first thought was to go with Jimmy Thomas. I agree with Woody with his critique on Jimmy: big, physical guard that would often lead the team in rebounding. But I think I'll put Matt Nover's name in the underrated group. He was undersized to play center, but Knight praised Nover for his workhorse mentality. He didn't back down. No quit.

Great choice Lockdown.If I were in a bar fight I would want Matt on my side!

Wayne Radford was the Jim Thomas of the 76 undefeated teams best I can remember. He was a big, physical player that was steady and always played his best in important games. Indiana basketball has always been about a will to win and both Thomas and Radford are two great past examples of this.

Great choices and lots of great memories!

And ou812dude--- I had not thought about Steve Eyl  for a long time. I loved it when he came into a game because he made sure you knew he was there. He would get the ball on the wing and go hard to the hoop. If you did not stop his drive-- he would flush it on you!

And Stuhoo---you are so right on Dean Garrett. What a junior college transfer. I am not sure we win the championship in 87 without him manning the middle!  He gave us that solid rim protector and rebounder!