Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Indianapolis Colts Off-Season Thread

Why is this the standard response here?  Why can't we discuss it without "you're dumb" coming out of some people?

Luck cost us the game tonight.  Again.

Probably has something to do with the, "Lets trade the future of the franchise because he isn't having a good year" coming from you in all seriousness. It is beyond knee jerk reaction given that it has now come out he is playing injured. And most people agree the guy drawing up the playbook would probably be outmatched at the college level a good amount of the time, let alone the NFL

It's stupid to even mention trading Luck, but jeez quit blaming the OC for his failures this year. Watching the games you can see tons of examples of Luck just making terrible reads and bad throws. You can blame his "injury" but that shouldn't cause his decision making to falter. I don't know what his problem is but getting his head fixed needs to be their #1 priority because the season is already in the shitter.

Injuries can absolutely impact decision making. Clearly if you have broken ribs your natural reaction is going to be to try and protect them and not get hit. Playing with that mentality may cause you to do things like throw off your back foot instead of stepping into a throw, which lessens accuracy. It may cause you to throw earlier than you typically would want to so you avoid a hit, meaning you're throwing into a space that hasn't yet developed, etc. An injury can really throw your mental game and preparation off.

Not saying that is the cause in all of his mistakes, but it can definitely play a part in some of them.

It's stupid to even mention trading Luck, but jeez quit blaming the OC for his failures this year. Watching the games you can see tons of examples of Luck just making terrible reads and bad throws. You can blame his "injury" but that shouldn't cause his decision making to falter. I don't know what his problem is but getting his head fixed needs to be their #1 priority because the season is already in the shitter.

Injuries can absolutely impact decision making. Clearly if you have broken ribs your natural reaction is going to be to try and protect them and not get hit. Playing with that mentality may cause you to do things like throw off your back foot instead of stepping into a throw, which lessens accuracy. It may cause you to throw earlier than you typically would want to so you avoid a hit, meaning you're throwing into a space that hasn't yet developed, etc. An injury can really throw your mental game and preparation off.

Not saying that is the cause in all of his mistakes, but it can definitely play a part in some of them.

Well if he's so hurt, he can't stay in the pocket because he's scared he needs to stay off the field.

Well if he's so hurt, he can't stay in the pocket because he's scared he needs to stay off the field.

I have only followed the Colts peripherally this year (aka watch them when they're the only game on, some highlights when they conflict with the Niners, and redzone otherwise), but is there chatter about whether it's Luck insisting he play or coaches just playing him?

I have only followed the Colts peripherally this year (aka watch them when they're the only game on, some highlights when they conflict with the Niners, and redzone otherwise), but is there chatter about whether it's Luck insisting he play or coaches just playing him?

I've probably followed about as closely as you, but does it matter? I'm sure Luck is wanting to play but if it's his injury forcing him to play this bad, then for the good of the team sit him until he's ready.

I've probably followed about as closely as you, but does it matter? I'm sure Luck is wanting to play but if it's his injury forcing him to play this bad, then for the good of the team sit him until he's ready.

It matters only as far as the discussion choices are:

Why is the coaching staff putting him on the field in this condition? or Why does Luck continue to think he can play through this injury?

Though, the second choice also has a "And why does the coaching staff not put a stop to it?" component too.

The Colts have a head coach who wasn't a head coach until 2012. 

They have a GM who wasn't a GM until 2012. 

They have an offensive coordinator who wasn't an NFL offensive coordinator until 2013, and has done nothing but ride his current quarterback's coattails. 

They've blown their last three first round picks on guys who are unproductive/no longer here/not playing. 

Too many people in this organization trying to learn on the job (and failing). 

It matters only as far as the discussion choices are:

Why is the coaching staff putting him on the field in this condition? or Why does Luck continue to think he can play through this injury?

Though, the second choice also has a "And why does the coaching staff not put a stop to it?" component too.

That's my point regardless of how much Luck wants to play, if his injuries is effecting him as much as some want to think then the Coaches need to bench him. No player is forced to play of they're hurt, Luck wants to play, and the coaches need to say no.

That's my point regardless of how much Luck wants to play, if his injuries is effecting him as much as some want to think then the Coaches need to bench him. No player is forced to play of they're hurt, Luck wants to play, and the coaches need to say no.

Definitely. Don't disagree. If his injury is messing with his game, there is no reason to keep putting him in and someone has to stop it no matter what. Just was interested if anyone knew who the driving force was.

Coaches can't and won't force him to play, but there is certainly a culture that would strongly encourage him to play. Look at Hyde on the Niners with his broken foot. Everything I read going into the Seahawks game said he was ambivalent about playing on his foot. Then there he was injuring it further on the field. So, while I think he could have flat-out refused and been listened to, I think if a player is uncertain about if they can play, they'll defer to the coaching staff. Not just because they're the boss, but because the staff sees them playing on it and has a more objective viewpoint.

And maybe not really for Luck because, well he's Andrew freaking Luck, but there could be fears of being traded or cut if you sit down for your injuries. Ask Alex Smith how that goes.

Definitely. Don't disagree. If his injury is messing with his game, there is no reason to keep putting him in and someone has to stop it no matter what. Just was interested if anyone knew who the driving force was.

Coaches can't and won't force him to play, but there is certainly a culture that would strongly encourage him to play. Look at Hyde on the Niners with his broken foot. Everything I read going into the Seahawks game said he was ambivalent about playing on his foot. Then there he was injuring it further on the field. So, while I think he could have flat-out refused and been listened to, I think if a player is uncertain about if they can play, they'll defer to the coaching staff. Not just because they're the boss, but because the staff sees them playing on it and has a more objective viewpoint.

And maybe not really for Luck because, well he's Andrew freaking Luck, but there could be fears of being traded or cut if you sit down for your injuries. Ask Alex Smith how that goes.

Very true, but damn Luck should know he could have the whole coaching staff fired before somebody thought about cutting him.

I think he'll easily be a top 5 qb. Too many people got spoiled by what he's done this far with a crap team around him and don't take into consideration that the Colts screwed up their own rebuild because of how good he was so quick. The team around Luck is not a superbowl team and they were only getting the hype because of him.

I also think a lot of colts fans problem is that his name isn't Peyton Manning.

I think he'll easily be a top 5 qb. Too many people got spoiled by what he's done this far with a crap team around him and don't take into consideration that the Colts screwed up their own rebuild because of how good he was so quick. The team around Luck is not a superbowl team and they were only getting the hype because of him.

I also think a lot of colts fans problem is that his name isn't Peyton Manning.

You talkin about the Colts fans who wear #18 Broncos jerseys?

And do nothing but talk about how if Peyton was still here we would've won another superbowl already.

Yea, thats not me. I still remember the Peyton happy feet in the playoffs many times. Colts made the right move there. Like you said the team as a whole is not Super Bowl talented. While I don't think Luck will be a top 5 QB he is plenty good enough to get us there with the right team around him.

And do nothing but talk about how if Peyton was still here we would've won another superbowl already.

Hey, if he could win one with the Broncos then why couldn't he have--

Wait, what? Really? They lost? BY HOW MUCH!?!? But he played a good game and-- no? Two interceptions, a missed snap resulting in a safety, and only one touchdown pass?

Oh. Never mind then.

Yea, thats not me. I still remember the Peyton happy feet in the playoffs many times. Colts made the right move there. Like you said the team as a whole is not Super Bowl talented. While I don't think Luck will be a top 5 QB he is plenty good enough to get us there with the right team around him.

The right team around him is the biggest thing in my opinion. One player just isn't going to win a superbowl on his own. Whether its Grigson and Pagano or 2 other people I hope they realize that and build this team from the inside(lines) out(everything else).