Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

WayneFleekHoosier

(2015) SF Ogugua Anunoby to IU

If you need to oversign as much as Crean does, you aren't very good at roster management. 

Roster management isn't always about the coach. Kids are free to choose. Crean is not the only one who does it. Pitino does it just as much, if not more than Crean.

If you need to oversign as much as Crean does, you aren't very good at roster management.

Understatement. We are at the top of the B1g in turnover rate in mens basketball on and off the court and not because of players leaving for the NBA. It comes from signing 6/7 new players every year and turning loose good quality upperclassmen for the next, new shiny player. We Pride ourselves as being different from UK yet we can't even have a senior night except for the cheerleaders and band. Disgraceful what IU has become.

Schoosier---I disagree with calling it disgraceful unless the players are actually being "run off". Many if not most other programs are doing close to the same thing.

I agree with you that I don't like it and hope last year was an exception and not the new IU norm.

I am also on record agreeing with you that we need players that we develop and get experience so we can have competitive upperclassmen instead of being young--- year after year after year.......Experience matters--experience wins.

Wow, the recruitment of this kid really happened quickly. I never thought we were the favorites to land him, but let me say welcome to Bloomington young fella!!! Remember, a ranking is just a number. Victor Oladipo can tell you that if you don't believe me. This is Indiana, and it's all up to you whether or not you will be great. Enjoy your senior season.

Schoosier---I disagree with calling it disgraceful unless the players are actually being "run off". Many if not most other programs are doing close to the same thing.

I agree with you that I don't like it and hope last year was an exception and not the new IU norm.

I am also on record agreeing with you that we need players that we develop and get experience so we can have competitive upperclassmen instead of being young--- year after year after year.......Experience matters--experience wins.

Rebel, we seem to agree on most everything except the definition of being "run off". I surmise Roth, Abell, Creek, Jurkin, and others were run off while Fisher fits into the other. Why would Fishers then be such a surprise and caught the staff off guard. You guessed it, they had no planning in it like the others. Next year will be more of the same just by his commits. Of course, these transfers will leave for more playing time, but the official statement by Crean like Fishers speak volume as to motivation.

I agree Schoosier that we disagree on the definition of "run off".

I don't think a recruit is "run off" if the staff is truthful with him and he is told he has had 2 years to develop and has not and others who are younger or are walk-ons are going to be playing over him next year and then HE decides to transfer to a school for more playing time.

I do think a player is "run off" if he is told he has not progressed and IU is not renewing his scholarship next year so he might as well transfer.

Maybe there is sometimes almost a blurred line between the two but they are very different.  Most top tier D1 athletes like IU would recruit want to play and they are not content to set on the bench so they decide to transfer when the staff is truthful with them.  I think that applies to players like Abell .  He still comes back to IU to scrimmage and visit so I don't think he holds a grudge.

But again--I agree I don't like the high turnover either.