Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
IU Hoosier41

What Would YOU Do?

[quote name="coachmayhew" post="75965" timestamp="1406775979"]Indiana is still a college, so the way I read it 2 is open to all D1 schools. I choose Indiana University. But I see how you read it. Just different interpretations I guess.

Check my stats using BtownBanners[/quote]

But #1 said stay at IU until you get a degree regardless of draft position so I don't see anywhere where 1 and done would be an option for IU. Unless I'm completely reading it wrong.

Regardless I still wouldn't choose IU for 1 yr or 4 years with Tommy.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="Crean and Crimson" post="75966" timestamp="1406776021"]dalton26 I believe you are misinterpreting the question. It doesn't state that you can't go to IU for just 1 year, it says "Play one season in college and jump to the NBA". The first option is to go to IU for all 4 years.[/quote]

How do you know you aren't the one misinterpreting it?

It just doesn't make sense to have the option of one and done and stay as long as you want at IU. I may just be reading too much into it though.

[quote name="dalton26" post="75968" timestamp="1406776220"]How do you know you aren't the one misinterpreting it?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote]

Everything reads differently to everyone, so we can all be correct. It is a hypothetical situation. Either way we would all be on our way to a payday. Barring injuries of course. I will see you at the all star game & 3 point contest.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using BtownBanners mobile app

Well that got derailed in typical off season fashion... As for the question, I honestly didn't put that much thought into the question, just stated get a degree vs 1 and done. Threw Indiana in there since I would assume the majority of people on here would want that. My take on the main question I proposed: I love IU just as much as anyone else here. The rush of running onto the court with the candy stripes on would be intense... But not as intense as having 1.25 MILLION in my account for 5 months of work. If my family was struggling and needed money it would make that decision that much easier. There are ZERO outcomes where you lose out by going overseas and getting paid. If you are good enough to be drafted, the NBA could care less where you played, they will find you. $1.25M at 18 years old. Invest 700,000 of it from day one and you are on track to super early retirement. It's a no brainer to me, and I would guess of this experiment works out well for him, others will follow this path as well. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'd love to say I would complete my education at IU, but in reality, I would take the overseas gig. Great chance to see the world, as well as building stock for an NBA career. As mentioned above, investing for the future is key. Of course, I would make it known where my college loyalty lies, and when I am ready to retire, I would get my degree from IU.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

After being downsized, rightsized, reallocated by several companies, while the CEO's were increasing their salaries (just as politicians do) I would go to China and take the money. I would love to play for IU, but getting swept by Nebraska, Illinois, losing a lead at home to Penn State, getting beat soundly by the Boilermakers and finishing near the bottom of the BigTen is not my cup of tea.

If I was that good and would be a top 5 pick in the Draft after one year, I hate to say it, but I would play 1 year at UK and head to the NBA. Hard to turn down the exposure I would get from UK and the money from the NBA. <br /><br />Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BtownBanners mobile app<br /><br />

[quote name="ctown2grhoosier" post="76002" timestamp="1406819628"]If I was that good and would be a top 5 pick in the Draft after one year, I hate to say it, but I would play 1 year at UK and head to the NBA. Hard to turn down the exposure I would get from UK and the money from the NBA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using BtownBanners mobile app

[/quote]

Why play 1 year at Kentucky vs a 5 month commitment in China for 1.25 million? Not insulting your decision, just curious as to why you would make that choice.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Of that 1.25 million he's likely to lose 375 k to taxes (not sure how that works in China). After insurance plans and 'paying' his people he won't see too much of that money. Probably more than he'd get in college (unless he goes to UK, UL, O$U etc) but not nearly 1.25 million.

However there is talks of a shoe deal that could help.

Remember people, Chris Webber got 200,000+ nearly 20 years ago to go to MICHIGAN.

We are being naive if we think these top 10 types aren't getting paid one way or another. It's happening at a multitude of universities. Not just top 10 guys either.

The joke is that UK kids get paid more than the pros for a reason. Sarcasm slightly but money is changing hands!

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="76007" timestamp="1406821230"]Of that 1.25 million he's likely to lose 375 k to taxes (not sure how that works in China). After insurance plans and 'paying' his people he won't see too much of that money. Probably more than he'd get in college (unless he goes to UK, UL, O$U etc) but not nearly 1.25 million.

However there is talks of a shoe deal that could help.[/quote]

The article or says he"ll only be hit with social security tax which would cap him at about $7,500 total in taxes. After paying insurance policy and living expenses (which the team will probably cover) he'll still net over a million for those 5 months. Additionally, if he was going to take out an insurance policy for going overseas, I'd assume he'd take one for playing in college so that cost is equal in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I have always known what I would have done if I had been a man. I would have played 4 years for Indiana basketball and would have even if I rode the pine for those 4 years because the year I would have been a senior I would be wearing a NCAA championship ring on my finger dated 1981. I would have played basketball and learned from in my opinion from the greatest basketball coach Indiana has ever had.

I imagine those insurance policies would be hard for a family to afford if you're insuring yourself for the kind of money you plan to make as a lottery pick. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

The NCAA allows the player's family to get a loan to pay for the Lloyds of London policy. Collateral to pay the premium is their future contract. With this being said and this was my decision I would play one year at IU then get paid. Bypassing the cash to have one great year in Bloomington would be worth it especially to have Vonleh's results.

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="75991" timestamp="1406815315"]Well that got derailed in typical off season fashion.... Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Yeah sorry about that, but all is well that ends well.

Check my stats using BtownBanners