Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

Ned Grabavoy - Portland Timbers (Technical Director)

**Retired at the end of the 2016 season and became Scout/Recruiting Director for the Portland Timbers.

Ned played Midfielder for the Hoosiers from 2001-2003 and was originally selected by the LA Galaxy as the 14th overall pick in the 2004. He has played for Real Salt Lake the past 6 years.

Profile/Stats

Portland Timbers Twitter

Grabavoy set to join Caleb Porter and the Portland Timbers.

Ned Grabavoy, a 12-year MLS veteran who spent 2015 with New York City FC. He would be joining the team through free agency as he met the requirements of being 28 years old and having at least eight years of MLS experience.

Grabavoy would represent an versatile piece in a PTFC midfield that has seen Johnson leave for Toronto FC. He was a key contributor for Real Salt Lake over their many years of contention, racking up 159 appearances over six seasons with the club (2009-14). He has a total of 17 goals and 31 assists in 279 appearances across his lengthy MLS career.

Portland Timbers midfielder Ned Grabavoy today announced that he will retire as a professional soccer player at the conclusion of the 2016 MLS season. One of a select group of players to play 300 or more league games, Grabavoy will finish his accomplished playing career after 13 professional seasons in Major League Soccer.

A two-time MLS Cup champion and a Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup winner, Grabavoy, 33, has made 301 league appearances (225 starts) for six different clubs throughout his 13-year playing career, ranking as one of just 39 players in MLS history to play 300 or more career games in league play. Originally selected as the 14th overall pick in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft by the LA Galaxy, Grabavoy has compiled 17 goals and 31 assists in regular-season play during his career. Additionally, the midfielder has made 18 postseason appearances (12 starts) to date, scoring two goals.

“I've put a tremendous amount, physically and mentally, into this sport over a long stretch of years, and as difficult as this decision was, I know in my heart this is the right time for me to step away from the game that I love,” Grabavoy said. “I feel truly fortunate to have spent 13 seasons with some of the best clubs in Major League Soccer, and having played a role in the growth of this league is something I'm very proud of. I'm grateful for the opportunity to have spent my final season with the Portland Timbers organization, a club I believe is one of the most special and unique in Major League Soccer.

“I cannot thank my family enough for their support and the endless sacrifices they've made throughout the years to not only put me in a position to succeed, but provide me the opportunity to enjoy playing the game for as long as I have. Although I'm saying goodbye to the playing phase of my career, I'm excited and eager for the challenges that await me.”

Grabavoy joined Portland ahead of the 2016 season on Jan. 12, 2016, as the first-ever MLS free agent signing for the club, recently reaching the 300-game milestone in a start with the Timbers against the Colorado Rapids on Oct. 1. With the Timbers this season, Grabavoy has appeared in 27 games (9 starts) across all competitions.

“On behalf of the organization, I would like to thank Ned for choosing to play for the Portland Timbers during his final season, and congratulate him on a long and successful MLS career,” said Gavin Wilkinson, general manager and president of soccer for the Timbers. “Ned is a consummate and cerebral professional, traits that will serve him well as he transitions into his chosen career.”

Beginning his career in 2004, Grabavoy made 38 appearances for the Galaxy from 2004-06, winning an MLS Cup title and the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup championship in the same season (2005). In three years with the Galaxy, Grabavoy helped guide the team to the postseason in back-to-back seasons (2004-2005), and appeared in four playoff matches (4 starts), scoring in the team’s 1-1 draw against the San Jose Earthquakes in the Western Conference Semifinals to help the Galaxy advance on aggregate.

“Ned has had a tremendous career where he has won trophies and been a top professional with every team he’s played for,” said Caleb Porter, head coach of the Timbers. “We wish him all the best and know he has a bright future ahead.”

Following two seasons with the Columbus Crew (2006-07) and one with the San Jose Earthquakes (2008), Grabavoy joined Real Salt Lake in 2009 and recorded 159 appearances from 2009-14, helping the club win MLS Cup in 2009 before reaching the final again in 2013.

Recording 10 goals and 14 assists in his time with the club, Grabavoy and Real Salt Lake advanced to the postseason in each of his six seasons with the club, with the midfielder also logging 15 appearances (10 starts) during CONCACAF Champions League play for Real Salt Lake.

Selected by New York City FC as the second overall pick in the 2015 MLS Expansion Draft, Grabavoy featured in 26 games (22 starts) during New York City’s inaugural MLS season in 2015, before joining Portland ahead of the 2016 campaign as a free agent.

Internationally, the Joliet, Ill., native earned time with the U.S. Under-20 Men’s National Team in 2003, making four appearances (3 starts) during the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship in the United Arab Emirates. The midfielder also played three seasons with Indiana University, helping the program capture the 2003 NCAA National Championship.

http://www.timbers.com/post/2016/10/18/portland-timbers-midfielder-ned-grabavoy-retire-following-2016-season

On 10/19/2016 at 4:19 PM, LIHoosier said:

Geez I feel old. I remember seeing him shown around the IMU by Coach Yeagley. They mention his future several times, what does he have planned and might it involve IU?

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Scout/Recruiting Director for the Timbers now.

http://www.timbers.com/post/2016/11/16/timbers-name-ned-grabavoy-director-scouting-and-recruitment