Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
KelleyHoosh

2015 Basketball Recruiting Class

We currently have two spots open for next year.

Given normal attrition and a chance that either Yogi, Troy, or JB2 could turn pro, I would expect a class of 3-4.

That means two guards: Conway (most likely), Shake, JWhitt, Coleman, Prince Ali, Donovan Mitchell, Chris Clarke. 

My preference? Conway (the only true point) and one of dem 6'4"-5" guys (Clarke, Ali, or Shake).

One/two bigs (here's where it gets good): Currrent options? Maker (sigh), Zimmerman (long shot, even more so than Maker), Swanigan ($$), Spalding, Morgan, Heldt, Shurma (who seems to be very Luke Fischer-esque).

NONE of those guys are 'plan B' type players. 

Remember, we are not likely to lose any bigs after this season; we will have Hanner, Devin, MSB, Max, and April returning, all of whom can defend the 4 at a minimum. We may only need one more big.

Good analysis Stu!

If we can get lucky enough to get one of Maker, Zimmerman, Swanigan that would be great!  Not sure how close JB2 and Swanigan are really.  I know they are friends but JB2 always dominated the attention over Swanigan on their AAU team.  I wonder if that'll lead to the Trevon Bluiett effect where TB didn't want to be second fiddle to Yogi anymore and Swanigan may not want that from Blackmon. 

I know that is a stretch but it makes me think.  Although, that doesn't detour $Kentucky$ from piling up All American's...........

I am not sold on Austin Conway yet.  We are competing with Rice and Wyoming, what does that say???  ROJO and Blackmon appear to have the skillset to run the point by their second year, so I'd rather get the best guard available.  If that is AC then great, but those other combo guards are much more appealing to me.

Whitt and Shake seem like great kids and great players, plus they have some size.  I don't include Coleman much in my talks because all signs appear he will go elsewhere, likely Michigan. 

I think we you are right, 3-4 in the class is likely.

2 openings

1 inevitable transfer or more???

1 potential NBA jump

Good analysis Stu!

If we can get lucky enough to get one of Maker, Zimmerman, Swanigan that would be great!  Not sure how close JB2 and Swanigan are really.  I know they are friends but JB2 always dominated the attention over Swanigan on their AAU team.  I wonder if that'll lead to the Trevon Bluiett effect where TB didn't want to be second fiddle to Yogi anymore and Swanigan may not want that from Blackmon. 

I know that is a stretch but it makes me think.  Although, that doesn't detour $Kentucky$ from piling up All American's...........

I am not sold on Austin Conway yet.  We are competing with Rice and Wyoming, what does that say???  ROJO and Blackmon appear to have the skillset to run the point by their second year, so I'd rather get the best guard available.  If that is AC then great, but those other combo guards are much more appealing to me.

I think that Austin Conway is a great fit; everything we are looking for as a representative of IUbball and a talented player who is a very hard worker.

Yeah, I understand that.  I am in the wait and see mode for him.  There is a lot to like about him as you mentioned, but to me, we have better options.  If he was going to be a career backup PG, I would absolutely love signing him.  I am not sure HE is the Yogi replacement.  Although, who is really???  That is going to be a problem, we are spoiled with Yogi right now!

I was thinking 3, but I could see 4.  Coleman is at the absolute top of the list for me, that's the kind of kid we absolutely cannot let get out of state.  Crean said he was going to "lock down the borders" and Coleman should be a big priority to put in candy stripes.

Other than that I'm not sure.  We're not getting Zimmerman, and Maker hasn't reclassified so he's not a 2015.

And yes it relevant, we have to start getting these classes balanced.  Should've been working towards that from the get go.

I really, really, really hope that none of Yogi, Troy or JB2 go pro after this year. If we can keep them and pull a solid group in this class, the year after this one could be super good. 

I'm partial to Jimmy Whitt, but I have to learn more about the other 2015s. I want to get a big who can contribute right away

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="72685" timestamp="1404229628"]I was thinking 3, but I could see 4. Coleman is at the absolute top of the list for me, that's the kind of kid we absolutely cannot let get out of state. Crean said he was going to "lock down the borders" and Coleman should be a big priority to put in candy stripes.

Other than that I'm not sure. We're not getting Zimmerman, and Maker hasn't reclassified so he's not a 2015.

And yes it relevant, we have to start getting these classes balanced. Should've been working towards that from the get go.[/quote] If Coleman doesn't want to play at IU, that's his choice. "Locking down the borders" doesn't mean a thing. After we make our sales pitch, it's down to the kid and their family.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

[quote name="jurkinonthecourt" post="72692" timestamp="1404231873"]If Coleman doesn't want to play at IU, that's his choice. "Locking down the borders" doesn't mean a thing. After we make our sales pitch, it's down to the kid and their family.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.[/quote]

That's how I feel. I don't care where the kid is from as long as 1. He wants to be here. 2. He bleeds cream and crimson when he does get here. 3. He busts his ass while he's here. And 4. He helps us win. It doesn't matter if you're from Indiana or an igloo in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="dalton26" post="72696" timestamp="1404232964"]That's how I feel. I don't care where the kid is from as long as 1. He wants to be here. 2. He bleeds cream and crimson when he does get here. 3. He busts his ass while he's here. And 4. He helps us win. It doesn't matter if you're from Indiana or an igloo in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote] The whole argument for the in-state kids is that they know the tradition and have grown up Hoosiers. Shockingly, this isn't true for all recruits in Indiana(!!!). So, why is a kid from Indiana who seems to want to play elsewhere worth fighting for when there is a kid over in the DMV dying to put on the candy stripes? It's extra special when it works out that we land in-state kids like Zeller and JBJ, but it's not going to work out with every recruit.

[quote name="dalton26" post="72696" timestamp="1404232964"]That's how I feel. I don't care where the kid is from as long as 1. He wants to be here. 2. He bleeds cream and crimson when he does get here. 3. He busts his ass while he's here. And 4. He helps us win. It doesn't matter if you're from Indiana or an igloo in Alaska.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote]

That might bring a new meaning to ice water in his veins. Who on staff is responsible for recruiting Alaska?!

Sent from my sarcastic iPhone using BrownBanners

[quote name="HoosierAloha" post="72703" timestamp="1404236406"]That might bring a new meaning to ice water in his veins. Who on staff is responsible for recruiting Alaska?! Sent from my sarcastic iPhone using BrownBanners[/quote] I'm pretty sure we are about to hire Frosty the Snowman so I'm assuming him. Sources say his one stipulation was that he wouldn't recruit the warm states. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

If Coleman doesn't want to play at IU, that's his choice. "Locking down the borders" doesn't mean a thing. After we make our sales pitch, it's down to the kid and their family.

I'm just quoting exactly what Crean said, and this fan base ate it up.  Now that he's developed his love affair with kids that can jump from the DMV people change their tune.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="72718" timestamp="1404241756"]I'm just quoting exactly what Crean said, and this fan base ate it up. Now that he's developed his love affair with kids that can jump from the DMV people change their tune.[/quote] I'm glad he's able to move on from something he said 6 years ago when he sees success elsewhere. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.