Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

Ranking: If These Players Exceed Expectations...

Below is my list, in descending order, for most value that will be derived for the coming season if these players exceed expectations and/or show the most improvement:

1) (by far) Hanner Perea

2)              Troy Williams

3)              Jeremiah April

1. Hanner by a long shot. 

2. Troy needs to develop an outside shot to spread the floor

3. Stan needs to prove he can turn the ball over less and be consistent with his shot

4. April needs to be a viable option off of the bench. He has to, we have no one else

5. Davis needs to keep improving and become an inside presence

1) Hanner, because if not, we most likely lose. A lot.

2) Davis. Same reason as Hanner, with a little less riding on him.

3) Rojo. We need ALL of our guards to step up this year. Can't just be Yogi and Jimbo all season.

4) I'll throw in Hoetzel. If he exceeds expectations, that most likely means he's making an impact of some kind and we could really use a sniper to go along with our scorers. (Disclaimer: Not saying that he will, but if he does it could be huge)

Honorable Mention) If Stan can consistently play and guard the 3 spot, that would be a big help so we can let Troy run the 4.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I agree with Troy because he can really be an all-around solid player, even without surpassing my expectations. If he can develop more of an outside shot while being able to limit turnovers, I think he will be one of the key players. But, Hanner is still by far number 1 on this list mainly due to our lack of big men.

1) Hanner has to become the shot blocker and rim rocker we thought he would become

2) Yogi has to make the transition from the primary scorer to an assist focused PG. With the number of scoring threats we will have next year, our offense will rely on Yogi's vision, passing and ball security.

3) Troy needs to be excellent at slashing and cutting to the basket from the wing. He has the athleticism to dominate in that role.

4) Stan and Devin have to be bulldogs defensively. These guys need to help create a lot of turnovers for us.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I just always think on a list like this, you always want your best players to exceed expectations. Their ceilings are higher. The only reason I didn't include Yogi is because we kind of already know what he's capable of. 

We need Blackmon to be instant impact and more. 

I agree. Blackmon has to be the real deal and take over from day one for us to have a shot

1) Blackmon

2) Hanner

3) Davis

4) Troy

5) Stan

Disagree!!

Not because we don't need JB2 to be excellent, but because if he is excellent, that will merely meet, not exceed expectations.

Are the expectations unrealistic for James? Probably, but that's where they start IMO.

On the other hand, if Stan can get rid of that funky hitch in his jumper, if Hanner's defensive awareness improves drastically, or if one of our three unranked freshman bigs can play with some physicality, that would change our dynamics completely.

Here's where I disagree. If one of our unranked bigs exceeds expectations, that still probably means they average 4 pts and 3 rpg. While exceeding expectations, still not a huge impact. 

If Blackmon exceeds, not meets, but exceeds expectations, then we have one of the best guards in the country. We have arguably the best back-court in the country. That's huge. We need Blackmon to be a stud next year, and there's a big difference between "stud" and "impact freshmen". A guy like Stan, while him exceeding expectations would be great, the ceiling of what that means is lower. But, I did have Stan on my list. 

I have Hanner #2 on my list, so not sure why you're mentioning him. 

Disagree!!

Not because we don't need JB2 to be excellent, but because if he is excellent, that will merely meet, not exceed expectations.

Are the expectations unrealistic for James? Probably, but that's where they start IMO.

On the other hand, if Stan can get rid of that funky hitch in his jumper, if Hanner's defensive awareness improves drastically, or if one of our three unranked freshman bigs can play with some physicality, that would change our dynamics completely.

Here's where I disagree. If one of our unranked bigs exceeds expectations, that still probably means they average 4 pts and 3 rpg. While exceeding expectations, still not a huge impact. 

If Blackmon exceeds, not meets, but exceeds expectations, then we have one of the best guards in the country. We have arguably the best back-court in the country. That's huge. We need Blackmon to be a stud next year, and there's a big difference between "stud" and "impact freshmen". A guy like Stan, while him exceeding expectations would be great, the ceiling of what that means is lower. But, I did have Stan on my list. 

I have Hanner #2 on my list, so not sure why you're mentioning him. 

Interesting. Never really thought of JB2 as someone who could possibly do more than we have intended for him.

I'm not sure I want him to be one of the top five or ten guards in the country though. If he does that he's a one and done!

Yeah, that's the catch 22 with Blackmon.  If he succeeds as we hope, he is a goner!  

We have 3-4 players with NBA talent on this roster, so even though we are thin we still have a chance to be optimistic. 

I just hate we were unable to fill the backend of the roster worth a hoot!

[quote name="WayneHoosier" post="72568" timestamp="1404152209"]Yeah, that's the catch 22 with Blackmon. If he succeeds as we hope, he is a goner! We have 3-4 players with NBA talent on this roster, so even though we are thin we still have a chance to be optimistic. I just hate we were unable to fill the backend of the roster worth a hoot![/quote] Blackmon, Troy and Yogi all have the chance to go pro after next year if they exceed expectations. That would be disastrous for us the following year. As much as I like to see Crean developing talent and sending kids to the NBA, we need to keep these players to have two solid years in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. If we can hold on to the current roster and add some solid 2015 players, that 2015-2016 team could be epic. Edit: I know this is a lot of hypotheticals, but it's fun to talk about. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Blackmon, Troy and Yogi all have the chance to go pro after next year if they exceed expectations. That would be disastrous for us the following year. As much as I like to see Crean developing talent and sending kids to the NBA, we need to keep these players to have two solid years in 2014-2015 and 2015-2016. If we can hold on to the current roster and add some solid 2015 players, that 2015-2016 team could be epic. Edit: I know this is a lot of hypotheticals, but it's fun to talk about. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Don't talk about What-Ifs!! you'll get in trouble!

HMP for obvious reasons

But my personal feeling is that EVERYONE that comes in off the bench is going to have to improve drastically. I really feel like our 1st 5 will be able to play with just about anyone in the country this year. Assuming they improve on turnovers and get over just being freshman. With recruiting being what it was this year, we are very thin off the bench as we all know. Who knows, maybe April or Priller will be better than advertised, and we will be celebrating a B10 championship again. That's what I love about the off season. Optimism!!

[quote name="jurkinonthecourt" post="72548" timestamp="1404147345"]1) Hanner has to become the shot blocker and rim rocker we thought he would become

2) Yogi has to make the transition from the primary scorer to an assist focused PG. With the number of scoring threats we will have next year, our offense will rely on Yogi's vision, passing and ball security.

3) Troy needs to be excellent at slashing and cutting to the basket from the wing. He has the athleticism to dominate in that role.

4) Stan and Devin have to be bulldogs defensively. These guys need to help create a lot of turnovers for us.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.[/quote]
I disagree with the yogi part we definitely still need him to look for his shots. He's a scorer while saying that I agree he definitely needs to be able to take care of the ball and make smart passes

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners