Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Chuck Martin to IU (Official)

Amazing it's not OFFICIAL yet.  Clearly he is "working" for IU.

True, but like pap said in the other thread. He's not held to any rules or what not. Next recruiting period will be up in a few weeks and maybe we hear something by then. It's quite apparent he's doing some work already with a few names that have hit the board recently.

I'm sure by the time you're listed as an assistant coach on the university website and you have an indiana.edu email address, all the rules apply.

I'm not too worried about an official announcement or lack thereof. Makes little difference when I find out...

I'm sure by the time you're listed as an assistant coach on the university website and you have an indiana.edu email address, all the rules apply.

I'm not too worried about an official announcement or lack thereof. Makes little difference when I find out...

I think this is true now, just no official announcement. If recruits are reporting Chuck is recruiting on IU's behalf, which I know he is, then he is officially an employee. I do think he was lingering around during the no contact period but not now.

Amazing it's not OFFICIAL yet.  Clearly he is "working" for IU.

Bob Huggins was working for the next university (K-State) which was going to hire him after he was terminated at Cincy. He did not have to answer to any NCAA rules or dead periods. He was able to land Beasley because he had access when other coaches did not.

My guess is he is still being vetted by the university. Dotting i's and crossing t's so as not to have something come back on us. They also may be waiting on a contract to be signed and waiting on all the lawyer stuff.

[quote name="schoosier" post="72430" timestamp="1404056154"]My guess is he is still being vetted by the university. Dotting i's and crossing t's so as not to have something come back on us. They also may be waiting on a contract to be signed and waiting on all the lawyer stuff.[/quote] I think the explanation of not having him on contract yet allows him to bypass NCAA contact rules is more likely

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

I think the explanation of not having him on contract yet allows him to bypass NCAA contact rules is more likelySent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

You may be correct but after the Sampson years, doing anything to bypass NCAA contact laws looks shady. And I don't buy that everyone else does it excuse. Its like showing up at a recruits high school the day after contact period ends and saying you didn't realize what day it was except this is technically not a violation.

I think it's kind of smart, if that's what is really happening, except we seem to stink at this. You have recruits saying Martin is recruiting them for Indiana, I think Martin even made a reference to the job or to Bloomington on Twitter, then you have him appearing as a coach on the team website.

If we're playing this game, we're not very good at it.

You may be correct but after the Sampson years, doing anything to bypass NCAA contact laws looks shady. And I don't buy that everyone else does it excuse. Its like showing up at a recruits high school the day after contact period ends and saying you didn't realize what day it was except this is technically not a violation.

[quote name="BGleas" post="72446" timestamp="1404066483"]I think it's kind of smart, if that's what is really happening, except we seem to stink at this. You have recruits saying Martin is recruiting them for Indiana, I think Martin even made a reference to the job or to Bloomington on Twitter, then you have him appearing as a coach on the team website.

If we're playing this game, we're not very good at it.

[/quote] The thing is, I don't think it matters if he doesn't have a contract or it wouldn't be so obvious.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.