Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosier Cowboy

Can Indiana be a consistent winner under Coach Crean?

[quote name="dalton26" post="71652" timestamp="1403667047"]I don't get where people get that Tom Crean put IU on top. We must have very different definitions of what on top means. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote] Pretty sure being #1 means you're on top. That may be wrong but I thought the best team was supposed to be #1. Even though we may not have been the best team, the point of rankings is to predict ahead of time who is. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="Hoosier Cowboy" post="71679" timestamp="1403671595"]Some good feedback here guys. I appreciate the discussion. Believe me, I WANT Crean to succeed. And to me, being and annual threat is truly being successful at Indiana if we are honest with ourselves.

Im almost to the point where I would rather have two four star 3/4 year players now than to have one 5 star 1/2 year player. I may create a topic on that tomorrow.[/quote] i dont see why everyone is trashing hoosier cowboy he seems to be honest not "trolling"

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="mamasa" post="71737" timestamp="1403713259"]It's not necessarily this one comment, it's the pattern of past topics/comments[/quote]
Ah ok i just started really posting/being active

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Interesting points, mdn82. IMO, one of Crean's biggest problems will be not bringing in better talent around Zeller in the 2011 class and outside of Yogi, the 2012 class being a bust. Even with Zeller leaving, if the other two players in 2011 had been more productive and we got what was anticipated out of Perea and Hollowell, things would have been perfectly fine last season. 

We'd be coming off the back-to-back Sweet 16's (though the second one being a bit disappointing) and a conference title, and probably would have gone down a bit last year, but not nearly as dramatically. We still would have been a tournament team and competitive in the conference. 

But, getting zero from Remy Abel and virtually zero from Ethrington, Hollowell, Perea and Jurkin is what has killed Tom Crean's program right now. 

Honestly, I don't think he can until recruiting class size is stabilized.  We cannot pull Kentucky type talent to have the turnover year in and year out.  Any kid with an opportunity will go pro, but when you are touting the kids behind them as much as the stars, you can't have 2 bad years in a row.  Last year to me was expected.  This year is crucial for Crean's future at IU.  IMO.  Hope they get it done cause things may look great if we pull Thon Maker in 2015 and some of the others we are in on.  I would like 3 and 4 year players like Robert Johnson.  Skilled players who play hard and will develop with proper coaching.  Sprinkle that in with your Noah Vonleh's and Cody Zeller's and we could be consistently good.  These 5 and 6 men classes every year don't allow for development.  How many incoming freshman truly get it out of the gate?  If Will and Vic came in on a normal year would either of them have stayed past their freshman season?  I highly doubt Will would have. 

[quote name="Willfesler11" post="71701" timestamp="1403707570"]Pretty sure being #1 means you're on top. That may be wrong but I thought the best team was supposed to be #1. Even though we may not have been the best team, the point of rankings is to predict ahead of time who is. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote] On top means being the Champ. It doesn't matter where you're ranked at during the season. That means nothing. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Win consistently???  Where does the blame fall

1.  We play in one of the toughest conferences year in and year out.  Top to bottom, any team can win and any team can lose.

2.  There are only a handful of teams that I would consider "elite".  But even the "elite" teams are still vulenerable.  See the Duke team this year in the tournament.  See the Kentucky team of last year.  See Kansas this year in the tournament.  See Syracuse this year in the tournament.  Heck, would you consider Butler an "elite" team for the going to the championship game two years in a row.  No!

3.  The state of NCAA basketball is so broad in talent that it is totally unpredictable.  Players and coaches have to bring it every single game or you will get beat on any given night.

4.  I believe in Hoosierland, we all have the expectations of the program being "elite".  But are we blinded from reality as it stands today.

-long story short, I think it is hard for any team to win consistently.  It takes, coaching, talent, and desire to win consistently.  Take one of those away and it simply doesn't work.

Look, BubbleKnuts isn't our coach anymore. Hasn't been for 14 years. We probably should realize that. It's going to be rough trying to find someone as consistent a winner, year after year. I believe Crean can do it, but from what I've seen in the past, something really need to change.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Win consistently??? Where does the blame fall
1. We play in one of the toughest conferences year in and year out. Top to bottom, any team can win and any team can lose.
2. There are only a handful of teams that I would consider "elite". But even the "elite" teams are still vulenerable. See the Duke team this year in the tournament. See the Kentucky team of last year. See Kansas this year in the tournament. See Syracuse this year in the tournament. Heck, would you consider Butler an "elite" team for the going to the championship game two years in a row. No!
3. The state of NCAA basketball is so broad in talent that it is totally unpredictable. Players and coaches have to bring it every single game or you will get beat on any given night.
4. I believe in Hoosierland, we all have the expectations of the program being "elite". But are we blinded from reality as it stands today.

-long story short, I think it is hard for any team to win consistently. It takes, coaching, talent, and desire to win consistently. Take one of those away and it simply doesn't work.

You raise some good points but Bo Ryan, Thad Matta, Izzo and now Beilein have their teams contending for the Big Ten title and post season play every year. They dont have near basketball tradition that we do. If they can do it, certainly we can.

Unfortunately I think CTC will do just enough to keep his job. Great team academics, but not so great on the court.

I hope thats not the case but seeing the NBA coaches draft only reinforces the fact that Crean is not well thought of as a coach in the basketball world.

I hope thats not the case but seeing the NBA coaches draft only reinforces the fact that Crean is not well thought of as a coach in the basketball world.

I'm not familiar with the NBA coaches draft...   can anyone enlighten me?   

I think maybe he meant how NBA coaches draft? I don't know it confused me when I read it too

well, i'd say Crean has been near the top of the list in great draft picks coming from the university he coaches.  Marquette and IU so far have had some great ones, and near the top too. hmm

[quote name="nick242" post="71717" timestamp="1403710825"]i dont see why everyone is trashing hoosier cowboy he seems to be honest not "trolling"

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]
I know I haven't seen near to all of his posts but every single one I have seen has been about Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="dalton26" post="71751" timestamp="1403715123"]On top means being the Champ. It doesn't matter where you're ranked at during the season. That means nothing. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app[/quote]
If it doesn't mean anything what the point of having it?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="Hoosier Cowboy" post="71812" timestamp="1403732720"]Sorry, I meant the NCAA coaches draft. Here is the link: [url="http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/24596512/college-basketball-coaches-draft-who-would-you-pick-to-lead-your-team"]http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaab/eye-on-college-basketball/24596512/college-basketball-coaches-draft-who-would-you-pick-to-lead-your-team[/url][/quote] Here's a nice summary of my feelings about the ESPN coach rankings: "Supposedly, credentials don't matter. It's all about the present. And yet multiple coaches who haven't accomplished anything notable in years and are hardly on an upward trajectory are ranked ahead of other coaches who currently run nationally relevant programs and/or have careers undeniably on the rise, and I was tempted to do what amounts to an offseason Poll Attacks but decided against it because I wouldn't even know whom to attack. That's because the ESPN rankings are the result of a survey taken by nearly 100 staffers, which means it's impossible to tie any questionable ranking to any one person ... although my guess, from past experiences, is that my pal Jeff Goodman is almost certainly responsible for the majority of the silliness." I don't believe Crean is an elite coach, but I do believe in him here at IU. The 24 coaches named in that draft are either locks for the Hall of Fame, or have been the hot new thing over the last couple years. Crean is not one of those, but that does not mean he can't create a winning program here by consistently recruiting his type of player, which I believe he is really starting to do, continuing his academic standards, and sticking to his transition offense. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.