Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Napleshoosier

Kyle Schwarber - Chicago Cubs

Kyle played C/OF for the Hoosiers from 2012-2014 and was drafted by the Cubs in the 1st round, 4th overall. 

@TonyAndracki23:Schwarber getting ready for his first @KCCougars game. #CubsTalk https://twitter.com/TonyAndracki23/status/479747393378713600

I am a Cubs fan and follow the team/minors as much as I do this board.  I would be shocked if he plays catcher after this season.  They are wanting him, Bryant, Baez, Alcantara, and possibly Soler/Almora to come up within a year of each other.  If he were catching he will be in the minors for 3 years.  They want him up by the latest of 2016.  If he is in LF he could be up at some point next season (probably August or most likely September). 

I am a Cubs fan and follow the team/minors as much as I do this board.  I would be shocked if he plays catcher after this season.  They are wanting him, Bryant, Baez, Alcantara, and possibly Soler/Almora to come up within a year of each other.  If he were catching he will be in the minors for 3 years.  They want him up by the latest of 2016.  If he is in LF he could be up at some point next season (probably August or most likely September). 

Next season seems pretty quick unless they are planning to have him skip a level at some point. If he absolutely dominates at every level, I could see that timetable. However, it would probably be a lot smarter for the Cubs to start him at AAA in 2016 and bring him up after a month if he's ready. I know the Cubbies aren't the poorest team in the league, but that would give them an extra year of control over Kyle, which is always nice regardless of finances.

That'd be a heck of a jump.  He'd be like 5 years younger than the average AAA player.

Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, and Arismendy Alcantara are all under 23.  The Cubs minor leagues are stacked with elite position players.  I would be willing to bet he is on the Kris Bryant timeline.  Skip Daytona (High A).  Plays Kane County for the rest of the year.  Starts in Tennessee next season.  Gets his 300 ABs (That is a FO thing and they said as much with Bryant even though he was putting up video game numbers in AA) then moves to Iowa.  If all goes well then he is in Chicago in 2016.  If he plays like Javier Baez is this year, he would start 2016 in AAA with an eye for June or early July to avoid the Super 2 status.  IMO

I'm not super familiar with the minors, but doesn't most of the quality at-bats and overall gametime come in AA? AAA seems like no-man's land while AA gives more competition. That's why I agree with everyone saying he'll skip Daytona and head straight to Chattanooga.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="Hovadipo" post="71095" timestamp="1403321184"]I'm not super familiar with the minors, but doesn't most of the quality at-bats and overall gametime come in AA? AAA seems like no-man's land while AA gives more competition. That's why I agree with everyone saying he'll skip Daytona and head straight to Chattanooga.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]AA is said to be the hardest jump. More high upside talent but AAA you have players who know how to play like a pro. Talent may be a little less but skill is higher.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I bet he skips AA and heads to AAA.

Sent from the can using BtownBanners

Yeah, wishful thinking I know...and one helluva stretch.  I'm going w/50+/- games in AA...he won't be there long IMO. 

Kyle seems to have the unique ability where the game slows down for him.  He'll be a household name...too bad it's w/the Cubs.  ;)

Javier Baez, Kris Bryant, and Arismendy Alcantara are all under 23.  The Cubs minor leagues are stacked with elite position players.  I would be willing to bet he is on the Kris Bryant timeline.  Skip Daytona (High A).  Plays Kane County for the rest of the year.  Starts in Tennessee next season.  Gets his 300 ABs (That is a FO thing and they said as much with Bryant even though he was putting up video game numbers in AA) then moves to Iowa.  If all goes well then he is in Chicago in 2016.  If he plays like Javier Baez is this year, he would start 2016 in AAA with an eye for June or early July to avoid the Super 2 status.  IMO

I don't know much about the Cubs system, other than I feel sorry for Schwarber.  My Yankees have some talent in the minors (unbelievably so), but it's pretty much all High A at best right now with a promising 2B just promoted to AAA after obliterating AA except for a couple players that are strictly 1B/DH types.  Unfortunately we'll keep trotting out super fragile/super crappy Brian Roberts, but of course this is the healthiest he's been in 10 years so he's really just a super POS.

I could see Schwarber skipping High A and going to AA, but not jumping from High A to AAA.  That'd be a pretty big jump.

I don't know much about the Cubs system, other than I feel sorry for Schwarber.  My Yankees have some talent in the minors (unbelievably so), but it's pretty much all High A at best right now with a promising 2B just promoted to AAA after obliterating AA except for a couple players that are strictly 1B/DH types.  Unfortunately we'll keep trotting out super fragile/super crappy Brian Roberts, but of course this is the healthiest he's been in 10 years so he's really just a super POS.

I could see Schwarber skipping High A and going to AA, but not jumping from High A to AAA.  That'd be a pretty big jump.

The Cubs system is stacked with position players.  Best set of position players in the minors.  Javier Baez was said to be the best coming into the season, but has struggled in AAA.  He is very young for AAA.  Kris Bryant put up video game numbers in AA and just was promoted this week.  They are both under 23.  Both are top 10 in all of the minors.  Schwarber is probably in the 6-8 range in ranking for the Cubs system.  A bi-product of good scouting and sucking.  We don't have pitching in the minors.  We have a bunch of 3-5.  No 1s and 2s.  Schwarber is the type of guy they have seemed to have been all over the last couple of years.  Big, power hitting dude that has good vision.  Cubs have a top 3 system right now because of their position players.  They will end up trading some for arms.  Have to.  

The Cubs system is stacked with position players.  Best set of position players in the minors.  Javier Baez was said to be the best coming into the season, but has struggled in AAA.  He is very young for AAA.  Kris Bryant put up video game numbers in AA and just was promoted this week.  They are both under 23.  Both are top 10 in all of the minors.  Schwarber is probably in the 6-8 range in ranking for the Cubs system.  A bi-product of good scouting and sucking.  We don't have pitching in the minors.  We have a bunch of 3-5.  No 1s and 2s.  Schwarber is the type of guy they have seemed to have been all over the last couple of years.  Big, power hitting dude that has good vision.  Cubs have a top 3 system right now because of their position players.  They will end up trading some for arms.  Have to.  

The average age in the minors is kind of skewed by older players not good enough to advance (or in the case of AAA, players not good enough to stick in the majors), but yeah 23 is still young for AAA.

We could use infield help, but we don't have the arms to trade.  Several good relief options but not really any starters and definitely not 1s or 2s maybe Manny Banuelos depending on how he recovers.  We'll likely end up trading from our catcher pool for help.  With Brian McCann signed long term we have a log jam: Francisco Cervelli is a solid backup, Romine would be a decent backup because he's pretty good defensively, John Ryan Murphy could have a long career in the majors as a solid catcher, and Gary Sanchez is waiting in AA but he's struggled.  We'll end up trading from there to get help probably for the rotation.