Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hwy 1

B1G tourney headed to DC in 2017

It won't be long before the Whole tournament is in NY or DC ANNUALLY. It's sad, but money doesn't lie. I'll enjoy it while it's in Indy. Atleast some east coast Hoosiers fans will get a chance to see a game for cheaper. Maybe they will be louder than the crowds at BLF. I've always been disappointed with the crowds here anyway.

Our Alumni fanbase is pretty pathetic. Went to the Butler game last year and the ND game this year. Both times it was just a bunch of red sweaters sitting on their hands. Even the Dayton tournament games were pretty embarassing

Not to mention DC is an AWFUL city. It smells everywhere. Anywhere of significance such as memorials and museums are always packed to the brim. Homeless people don't take no for an answer. The public transportation is a toilet on tracks. Enjoy your cab rides in from Fairfax, VA every single day. Any decent part of that city is nowhere near the arena. That's why no one who roots for the Skins or Wizards actually lives in DC. It's a piece

DC is actually a very clean city and the public transportation is the cleanest I've ever been in.  The public transportation will bring you in from any surrounding area including Fairfax, VA or anywhere in Maryland suburbs as well.  The area around Verizon Center will be pretty good around the games if you ask me.  A lot of bars and places to eat before/after games.  Makes for a great weekend and the memorials and monuments won't be too crowded in the spring, the busy season for those is in the summer.

I think Indy is the perfect setup for this event but if you are going to other locations in the B1G footprint, DC is a great option.   Personally I think DC is WAY better than Chicago/United Center which is so far out of the way and in an unsavory part of town.

As far as why no one in DC roots for Skins and Wizards, it has more to do with it being a transient population who live and work in DC for the government.  It is truly an international town and people have their own allegiances already when they move there.  It has nothing to do with where the stadiums are located as both FedEx Field and Verizon Center are easily accessible on public transportation.

It is time for many of you to face the facts, it is not OUR league, it is just a league.  Doesn't matter when the team joined I welcome them with open arms.  Look at Maryland, they've been dragged through litigation and paid millions of dollars to join.  Says something about the B1G ($$$$, but regardless) that they would do that and I appreciate it.  I think the Terps will be a great addition from a basketball standpoint.  They may win the league next season with their returning team as well as incoming recruits.

I'm moving to NYC and I have a ton of friends who have all graduated and now work in NYC and DC. Hoosier nation travels and I know I'll be there. This could really help our East Coast recruiting.

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

IU matched UConn as far as fans in MSG in November.  I thought it was funny that a lot of my friends from MSU complained that UConn had a home court advantage in MSG in the tournament.  I responded that it was on MSU fans because IU was able to match UConn in their backyard.   

DC is actually a very clean city and the public transportation is the cleanest I've ever been in.  The public transportation will bring you in from any surrounding area including Fairfax, VA or anywhere in Maryland suburbs as well.  The area around Verizon Center will be pretty good around the games if you ask me.  A lot of bars and places to eat before/after games.  Makes for a great weekend and the memorials and monuments won't be too crowded in the spring, the busy season for those is in the summer.

I think Indy is the perfect setup for this event but if you are going to other locations in the B1G footprint, DC is a great option.   Personally I think DC is WAY better than Chicago/United Center which is so far out of the way and in an unsavory part of town.

As far as why no one in DC roots for Skins and Wizards, it has more to do with it being a transient population who live and work in DC for the government.  It is truly an international town and people have their own allegiances already when they move there.  It has nothing to do with where the stadiums are located as both FedEx Field and Verizon Center are easily accessible on public transportation.

It is time for many of you to face the facts, it is not OUR league, it is just a league.  Doesn't matter when the team joined I welcome them with open arms.  Look at Maryland, they've been dragged through litigation and paid millions of dollars to join.  Says something about the B1G ($$$$, but regardless) that they would do that and I appreciate it.  I think the Terps will be a great addition from a basketball standpoint.  They may win the league next season with their returning team as well as incoming recruits.

I couldn't sit down on a Metro because there were puddles of urine on the seats. Not to mention 3 people were sleeping lying down covering three seats each in the car. Outside of bar Louie (spelling?) near the Verizon Center I saw a bouncer kick a homeless guy in the face who was sitting on the ground. Knocked him out. Outside of the pizza place a few blocks down I saw at least 20 bags of trash sitting in the middle of the street. I was there for my cousin's graduation so it was hot out and it absolutely reeked. Almost made my aunt throw up. Smeared feces, fights, homelessness on every street. You name it, I saw it. I have been to Detroit. Detroit is infinitely nicer and cleaner than DC. 

I couldn't sit down on a Metro because there were puddles of urine on the seats. Not to mention 3 people were sleeping lying down covering three seats each in the car. Outside of bar Louie (spelling?) near the Verizon Center I saw a bouncer kick a homeless guy in the face who was sitting on the ground. Knocked him out. Outside of the pizza place a few blocks down I saw at least 20 bags of trash sitting in the middle of the street. I was there for my cousin's graduation so it was hot out and it absolutely reeked. Almost made my aunt throw up. Smeared feces, fights, homelessness on every street. You name it, I saw it. I have been to Detroit. Detroit is infinitely nicer and cleaner than DC. 

I am speaking from my experience living in DC for a summer and having a sister that has lived in the surrounding areas for over  8 years as well as innumerable trips to DC in my lifetime.  What that breadth of experience has shown me is everything you say is not true.  They don't even allow food or drink on the Metro and it's a rule strictly enforced.  The entire system is extremely clean compared to its comps.  I used to go out for happy hour all the time by Verizon Center and my experiences were always positive.  Not sure when you were there but it's just not an accurate description of the current state of the City.

As far as your comparison to Detroit.  I've also been to Detroit, I know the city of Detroit, DC is a million times nicer and cleaner. 

I laughed out loud at your assertion.  DC is the most expensive place to live in the US.  The high rents seen in that city would not have happened if it looked as you are describing.

Everyone has their own experiences of course, but mine more mirrors yours. I live in Maryland and get into DC several times a year, usually a Wizards game, Caps game and Nationals game, and have always found the Metro to be really clean. I've also always enjoyed the area surrounding the Verizon Center. Several cool bars and restaurants. 

I am speaking from my experience living in DC for a summer and having a sister that has lived in the surrounding areas for over  8 years as well as innumerable trips to DC in my lifetime.  What that breadth of experience has shown me is everything you say is not true.  They don't even allow food or drink on the Metro and it's a rule strictly enforced.  The entire system is extremely clean compared to its comps.  I used to go out for happy hour all the time by Verizon Center and my experiences were always positive.  Not sure when you were there but it's just not an accurate description of the current state of the City.

As far as your comparison to Detroit.  I've also been to Detroit, I know the city of Detroit, DC is a million times nicer and cleaner. 

I laughed out loud at your assertion.  DC is the most expensive place to live in the US.  The high rents seen in that city would not have happened if it looked as you are describing.

[quote name="BGleas" post="65584" timestamp="1399408635"]Everyone has their own experiences of course, but mine more mirrors yours. I live in Maryland and get into DC several times a year, usually a Wizards game, Caps game and Nationals game, and have always found the Metro to be really clean. I've also always enjoyed the area surrounding the Verizon Center. Several cool bars and restaurants. [/quote]

I'm with you. I've lived at least a few months everywhere from Detroit to Philly to DC and they were by far the nicest subway system. I grew up outside NY and there was far more hobo feces there than anywhere in DC.

As a Maryland resident this is definitely exciting for me! In addition to IU, there are a lot of PSU, OSU, and Michigan alum in the DC-area. In addition to the exposure for the league, it has to be exciting for the athletes to visit a new city like DC.

As long as the tournament is not held on the east coast on a regular basis I don't think this is as big a deal as most are making it to be.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm a Maryland resident (obviously), but to the whiner who's bashing DC, you sir, have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.. To act as if you're some kind of expert after spending a weekend there to go to a wedding is pretty insane.

I've made dozens of trips down the beltway to DC. Baltimore to DC is like Indy to Bloomington, only there is a chance you hit major traffic on any given day. I usually catch the metro at College Park because parking can be an issue.. That being said, just like any major metro area there are good spots and bad spots. The area where the Verizon Center is located is pretty nice. You're only a block or two from Mt Vernon Square and the Smithsonian Art Museum. There are a lot of good restaurants in the area. Mount Vernon has some decent night life too.

This is a PR/money move for the B1G. I think it makes sense. It's a chance to grow the fan base and give a chance for the East Coast to experience the B1G Tournament up close and personal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Been to DC a handful of times and have loved it.

A little disappointed with the Nationals stadium as there wasn't much around it in regards to eateries. Granted that was a few yrs ago. Nice stadium though.

Agreed with the majority. Money talks. And those traditionalists will hate it the most. And that's ok. Just don't get too grumpy! ;)

Sent from the can using BtownBanners

Been to DC a handful of times and have loved it.

A little disappointed with the Nationals stadium as there wasn't much around it in regards to eateries. Granted that was a few yrs ago. Nice stadium though.

Agreed with the majority. Money talks. And those traditionalists will hate it the most. And that's ok. Just don't get too grumpy! ;)

If they start having it in Denver I'm gonna be mad! ;)

[quote name="Hwy 1" post="65636" timestamp="1399479838"]If they start having it in Denver I'm gonna be mad! ;)[/quote]

Count me in. :)

We're actually talking of a move to the east coast so a DC tourney isn't sounding bad. :) :)

[quote name="CampCrean" post="65829" timestamp="1399576491"]I forgot that if you don't drink or eat on a train, you can't piss or lay down on it. It was hands down the dirtiest public transportation I have ever been minus MARTA in Atlanta. [/quote] Maybe you just haven't seen it enough. Sample size matters. I trust the people who live there. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

Maybe you just haven't seen it enough. Sample size matters. I trust the people who live there. Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

New York, Chicago, Atlanta, DC, San Fran, Boston, Denver, SeWa