Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Movie Thread

On 5/15/2023 at 9:26 PM, mamasa said:

Such a great movie, and a lot of depth for a Marvel movie. I really did tear up tho..

Highly agree on this!  The soundtrack was spectacular I thought.  They pulled in some of my old '90s college tunes.

Oppenheimer was genuinely exceptional. Have to see it on Imax.

It explores his adult life in detail within the context of WWII and despite that, typing that, it sounds like it might get slow, it's a film that you really don't want to leave your seat at any point. Magnificently shot, story is extremely captivating, and he was one complex / complicated man. 

It does not glorify the bomb or war or even really Oppenheimer himself. It instead is a deeply captivating story where the viewer is placed into the context of the extreme choices and drama of the time, and the life of Oppenheimer within it. Outstanding movie.

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Oppenheimer was genuinely exceptional. Have to see it on Imax.

It explores his adult life in detail within the context of WWII and despite that, typing that, it sounds like it might get slow, it's a film that you really don't want to leave your seat at any point. Magnificently shot, story is extremely captivating, and he was one complex / complicated man. 

It does not glorify the bomb or war or even really Oppenheimer himself. It instead is a deeply captivating story where the viewer is placed into the context of the extreme choices and drama of the time, and the life of Oppenheimer within it. Outstanding movie.

So agree. Loved it.

19 hours ago, Demo said:

Along with being an obviously great director, my Lord, does Fincher have great taste. 

Oh yeah, several of those are in my top fav films, 

All the Presidents Men

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Alien

--

I wouldn't have thought off hand of Being There, but that's both a great movie (Peter Sellers) and book - the book is something else

Only quibble, if you're going to list Terminator, Gotta list Predator (I somehow re-watch it every time it's on)

I kind of laughed at including Animal House -- "when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor: .... :)

47 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

All the Presidents Men

Alien

--

I wouldn't have thought off hand of Being There, but that's both a great movie (Peter Sellers) and book - the book is something else

Only quibble, if you're going to list Terminator, Gotta list Predator (I somehow re-watch it every time it's on)

I kind of laughed at including Animal House -- "when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor: .... :)

For me he gets massive extra credit for The Year of Living Dangerously and Days of Heaven. Maybe a slight demerit for Godfather 2 over the original. But, not a single thing on there I don’t like.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

All the Presidents Men

Alien

--

I get it.  Predator is a very fun movie but terminator is Iconic. 

Excellent list. Overall. 

1 hour ago, Demo said:

For me he gets massive extra credit for The Year of Living Dangerously and Days of Heaven. Maybe a slight demerit for Godfather 2 over the original. But, not a single thing on there I don’t like.

Agree -- 

2 I would add, at least for me, 

Finding Forrester -- One of if not the best Connery film

Good Will Hunting -- for me, Robin Williams' best film, and the other guys weren't too shabby either

20 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Agree -- 

2 I would add, at least for me, 

Finding Forrester -- One of if not the best Connery film

Good Will Hunting -- for me, Robin Williams' best film, and the other guys weren't too shabby either

Finding Forrester is a strong call. A list of mine would absolutely have Diner and probably Chariots of Fire.

2 hours ago, Demo said:

Finding Forrester is a strong call. A list of mine would absolutely have Diner and probably Chariots of Fire.

Eastwood films deserve a mention, one of his I always enjoy is The Outlaw Josey Wales (it’s also based on a book, another good read). 

A twist on the above.

How about, what is the worst movie you've seen / had to sit through?

- Star Pilot, was released in '77 to cash in on the success of Star Wars. As a 10-year old, I was like, WTF?? I'd seen Star Wars and was all pumped up. When a 10-year old is let down.... It's partly but not fully dubbed into English, includes scenes from a Japanese film (Gorath) and from another US film (Doomsday Machine) - it was originally a 1966 Italian film, it took spaceship sets from other movies. It's soo incredibly bad it's flat out laughable

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

A twist on the above.

- Star Pilot, was released in '77 to cash in on the success of Star Wars. As a 10-year old, I was like, WTF?? I'd seen Star Wars and was all pumped up. When a 10-year old is let down.... It's partly but not fully dubbed into English, includes scenes from a Japanese film (Gorath) and from another US film (Doomsday Machine) - it was originally a 1966 Italian film, it took spaceship sets from other movies. It's soo incredibly bad it's flat out laughable

One that was supposed to be good? Shakespeare in Love.

yuuuuck.

BTW, Silver Linings Playbook was salvaged by a 22 year old Jennifer Lawrence dancing about. That was a good thing.

On 8/30/2023 at 2:55 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

A twist on the above.

Jonah Hex but didn’t make it though it 

On 8/30/2023 at 1:55 PM, HoosierHoopster said:

A twist on the above.

Quick Change, with Bill Murray. Hated, hated, hated it. Nothing pi$$es me off more than characters written as too stupid to function and Randy Quaid’s character in that movie just infuriated me.