Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HystericalHoosier

Indy Eleven - Thoughts, Opinions, Banter

What are everyone's views on the new NASL team that has its first official game on Saturday? Anyone going? Do you follow the team? Will it continue its success that it has had in selling tickets? I heard that they sold the 7,000 season tickets pretty quickly.

I've heard doubts from some people as to whether or not it will last. I'm hoping it will, but I don't live in Indy, so I don't know much about the support for it.

I'm intrigued by this. Not sure what the competition level is in this league, but I think I heard Indy has a Brazilian national team guy. I'll probably catch a few games.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'm intrigued by this. Not sure what the competition level is in this league, but I think I heard Indy has a Brazilian national team guy. I'll probably catch a few games.

You are correct in the Brazilian, Kleberson. He has played for Manchester Utd and has also won a World Cup (2002). I know that the ultimate goal of the NASL is to provide competition for MLS. Most will view it as a different tier, and may end up as such, but I've heard the ceiling is to have them on the same level. 

I ended up being able to go to the game on Saturday. What an atmosphere. 11,000+ packed that tiny stadium and rocked it. Sure, it ended in a tie, but that is huge when you think this team hasn't been playing together very long, and their opponent was the runner-up of the league last year. Excited to see what will come of this team. 

I've been impressed with their marketing campaign. Not only have they catered to hardcore fans, but casual as well. I saw a Facebook posting regarding feedback from the first game- they acknowledged concerns and committed to fixing then. Seems to be a well run organization!<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Living in Louisville, I was tempted to buy season tickets. Rumors are flying that Louisville is going to get the Orlando franchise that joined MLS. Could start a great rivalry. So decided to hold off on Indy tickets and see if this happens. Glad this area is finally starting to embrace professional soccer.

Indy Eleven Professional Soccer made several changes to its technical staff today, announcing that former assistant coach Tim Regan will take over the club’s head coach and director of soccer operations roles on an interim basis after relieving Juergen Sommer of those same duties.  In addition, assistant coach Paul Telfer was released from the club’s technical staff and will be replaced on the bench by midfielder Kleberson in an interim role as he recovers from recent Achilles tendon surgery.

Sommer saw his tenure with Indy Eleven end nearly two years after it began, the former U.S. National Team goalkeeper, Indiana University All-American and product of Culver Military Academy officially signing on with the club on June 11, 2013.  Sommer guided the “Boys in Blue” to a 7W-13D-15L record in 35 NASL regular season games, which included a 6W-5D-7L run in the 2014 Fall Season that ranked tied for 6th place in the 10-team league and showed improvement from a winless Spring Season (0W-4D-5L).  “Indiana’s Team” currently sits at the bottom of the NASL Spring Season standings with a 1W-4D-3L mark and bowed out of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup last week after a heart-breaking added extra time defeat to USL side Louisville City FC.

Minnesota United spoils IE's bid for the NASL unbeaten streak record last night. Nice run and turnaround this year.

Recap

Christian Ramirez erased the memory of last week’s missed penalty kick at Indy (2W-1D-1L, 7 points) when he converted from the spot in the game’s third minute to give Minnesota (2-0-1, 6) the early lead at NSC Stadium in Blaine, Minn. The NASL’s leading scorer then doubled the Loons’ lead three minutes later when he tucked in a cross from Stefano Pinho from three yards out. The goals upped his league-leading total to 10 on the year.

The loss leaves the Eleven tied with the Carolina RailHawks (2011) and New York Cosmos (2013-14) with an unbeaten streak of 13 games. Mexican star Gerardo Torrado made his NASL debut in the game, coming on as a halftime sub.

Less than 30 days after the Indy Eleven's league, the North American Soccer League, received a stay of execution, the Eleven have set their sights at the highest level of American soccer.

Late Monday night, the Eleven confirmed to IndyStar that the team will submit paperwork to Major League Soccer headquarters in New York Tuesday afternoon applying for expansion. Sports Illustrated first reported the news.

Tuesday is the deadline for cities to submit applications for MLS expansion and Eleven owner Ersal Ozdemir plans to personally hand in the paperwork around 1 p.m.

In December, MLS revealed it hoped to expand by four teams. Indianapolis would become the 12th city to apply. Indy's competition is Charlotte, Cincinnati, Detroit, Nashville, Phoenix, Raleigh, Sacramento, St. Louis, San Antonio, San Diego and Tampa Bay.

The Eleven, who advanced to the NASL championship game last season and finished second in average attendance, had stated MLS goals when the franchise was first conceived in 2013. A potential stumbling block in Indianapolis' bid could be the unsettled stadium situation. The Eleven play in IUPUI's Michael Carroll Stadium and had a proposed $82 million deal for a new stadium shot down by the state legislature in 2015.

“We have a lot of energy for building a soccer stadium here,” team president Jeff Belskus told Sports Illustrated on Monday. “We’ve proven Indianapolis has the fan base to support soccer. It will support pro soccer and it will support Major League Soccer … It’s so logical for us.”

The Eleven will play the 2017 season in the NASL, which begins play March 25.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2017/01/30/indy-eleven-apply-mls-expansion/97271092/

IE hasn't won a game this year, but hasn't lost one either. 0-4-0.

http://www.indyeleven.com/news/2017/04/22/recap--indy-eleven-sets-nasl-modern-era-record-in-stalemate-with-san-francisco#tabs-1

INDIANAPOLIS (Saturday, April 22, 2017) – Indy Eleven extended its home unbeaten streak to an NASL Modern Era record 20 games in a 0-0 draw with the San Francisco Deltas on Saturday afternoon at Carroll Stadium.

5 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Pretty unfamiliar w/ the structure of pro soccer- is this a good thing?

Short answer, yes. Long answer, MLS is essentially using USL as their minor league putting some of their junior teams in the league along with independent teams. Several teams along with Indy have jumped ship from the NASL before the proverbial ship sinks. I'm hoping there's room for the NY Cosmos because I think there's maybe 7-8 teams left in the NASL.

55 minutes ago, mamasa said:

Pretty unfamiliar w/ the structure of pro soccer- is this a good thing?

Probably yeah, NASL wanted to compete with MLS to try to get a promotion/relegation pyramid going, while USL has basically agreed to be the feeder league for MLS, but is overall a much more stable league with probably a slightly higher quality (though reportedly the USL/MLS relationship isn't all sunshine and rainbows behind the scenes).

I'm a much bigger fan of the NASL structure, but ultimately USL was the league that was going to play. I'd rather play than not have a team. We'll see what happens with NISA (league that is being formed to basically take NASL's role) and how the NASL lawsuit against USSF soccer goes as well.