Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

2 hours ago, johnsoniu said:

Ouch, that hurts. Almost as much as a Scott Podsednik walk off :)

You mean Scotty Pods? LOL! 

When I'd visit my parents and he was playing for the White Sox, my dad would have them blaring on the tube. Hawk Harrelson would say "Scotty Pods" about 10 times during every Podsednik at-bat. It was all I could do to not hurl at every mention. 

10 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

What a terrible ending to a great game. 

Got no dog in this fight, so I didn't care who won, but that dude did NOT swing. 

Absolutely.  A game of that magnitude ending like that is BS.

Big Papi is the only one elected to the Hall. No dice for Bonds, Clemens, Sosa and Schilling. Throwing out the steroids debate, I think Schilling's a HOFer. I think he's kind of a douchebag, but to me, he should be in. Writers hate him and he hates writers, so it's a perfect mix to deny him entry, I suppose. He had over 70% of votes last year, but dropped to 58% this year. 

Obviously, his diatribe after last year's vote -- in which he demanded to be taken off the ballot for his final year -- didn't do him any good. I was hoping they'd vote him in just to spite him. LOL. 

He didn't cheat the game; his only crime is being an as-hole.

4 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Big Papi is the only one elected to the Hall. No dice for Bonds, Clemens, Sosa and Schilling. Throwing out the steroids debate, I think Schilling's a HOFer. I think he's kind of a douchebag, but to me, he should be in. Writers hate him and he hates writers, so it's a perfect mix to deny him entry, I suppose. He had over 70% of votes last year, but dropped to 58% this year. 

Obviously, his diatribe after last year's vote -- in which he demanded to be taken off the ballot for his final year -- didn't do him any good. I was hoping they'd vote him in just to spite him. LOL. 

He didn't cheat the game; his only crime is being an as-hole.

May as well let Bonds etc in.  Ortiz tested positive and IIRC was named in the Mitchell report, can't hold it against them and give him a pass.

Just looking at numbers maybe he has a case, though not first ballot.  My problem is this, there are drastically better players left out because of PED connections but Ortiz gets in despite PED connections because the writers always loved him since he kissed their butts as a player.

Bonds and Clemens are two of the best players ever but can't get in.  Pete Rose is the all time hits leader and is banned.

6 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Just looking at numbers maybe he has a case, though not first ballot.  My problem is this, there are drastically better players left out because of PED connections but Ortiz gets in despite PED connections because the writers always loved him since he kissed their butts as a player.

Bonds and Clemens are two of the best players ever but can't get in.  Pete Rose is the all time hits leader and is banned.

It's a club as much as it is the HOF. You gotta play the game while playing the game to get in.

8 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

Bonds is one of the biggest assholes in MLB history so I can see why writers didn't feel as though he should get extra credit. I dont know about Clemens. I do remember reading tbat Rose had signed papers that effectively banned him and that's why he isnt under consideration

If they are letting anybody with any steroids in whatsoever. then Rose should be let in there

1 hour ago, wirenuts said:

Bonds is one of the biggest assholes in MLB history so I can see why writers didn't feel as though he should get extra credit. I dont know about Clemens. I do remember reading tbat Rose had signed papers that effectively banned him and that's why he isnt under consideration

If they are letting anybody with any steroids in whatsoever. then Rose should be let in there

I guarantee you there are a lot of assholes in the HoF already, and I have doubts on Clemens being a nice guy.  PEDs are either a line or not; if they are then no way does Ortiz belong and if they're not then Clemens etc should be inducted. 

Rose bet on baseball, unless you want to get into Black Sox territory that has less impact on the game than steroids.

12 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I guarantee you there are a lot of assholes in the HoF already, and I have doubts on Clemens being a nice guy.  PEDs are either a line or not; if they are then no way does Ortiz belong and if they're not then Clemens etc should be inducted. 

Rose bet on baseball, unless you want to get into Black Sox territory that has less impact on the game than steroids.

I dont disagree, however writers obviously felt like the 2003 report on Ortiz didn't carry the same weight as the Mitchell report. It should have been delegated by MLB, not writers/voters anyways. 

Selig turned a blind eye for years...and he is in so I guess they should be in too. Calling Bonds the home run king is something I will never do though. thats my personal line, not that my opinion does/should make a difference

4 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Officially no more pitchers striking out and sacrifice bunting. Unfortunately no more Bartolo moments emoji3064.png

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/02/10/mlb-lockout-news-universal-dh-agreed-upon-sides-talk-saturday/6734986001/

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

It also means our very own Kyle Schwarber is now eligible to play in both leagues. LOL! 

25 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Officially no more pitchers striking out and sacrifice bunting. Unfortunately no more Bartolo moments emoji3064.png

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/columnist/bob-nightengale/2022/02/10/mlb-lockout-news-universal-dh-agreed-upon-sides-talk-saturday/6734986001/

I know a lot of people aren't, but I'm fired up for the universal DH.

31 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

Finally.