Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

21 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I know a lot of people aren't, but I'm fired up for the universal DH.

Me too. Though a part of me did enjoy the additional strategy involved in a pitcher hitting, I think this is long overdue and what is best for the sport. I can't think of any other sport where all teams are competing on the same level, same field, and for the same prize, but there is one drastically different rule between the 2 conferences making up the league. 

On 2/11/2022 at 1:05 PM, NashvilleHoosier said:

Me too. Though a part of me did enjoy the additional strategy involved in a pitcher hitting, I think this is long overdue and what is best for the sport. I can't think of any other sport where all teams are competing on the same level, same field, and for the same prize, but there is one drastically different rule between the 2 conferences making up the league. 

I wish the DH would have never came about.

22 hours ago, Rico said:

I wish the DH would have never came about.

I would have been fine with that too. The two leagues being the same is what makes the most sense. But in reality, in this day and age, the game needs hitters, not pitchers hitting. The irony there is that the game has evolved to where you can keep your spot in the lineup if you hit .180 as long as you hit 40 home runs. I'll also never for the life of me understand why MLB pitchers are so collectively bad at hitting. I don't expect them to be one of the best hitters on the team, but it amazes me just how many MLB pitchers are just completely inept in the batter's box. 

I've been watching baseball for nearly 50 years. As far as sports go -- it was my first love. 

But honestly, I've had just about enough. And this is just more than a grumpy old guy saying "get off my lawn."

Pitchers having to face a certain number of batters. Managers and catchers can only visit the mound so many times. Runners starting on second base in extra innings. Playing 7-inning games. It's just become so ridiculous. 

And now this ...

They've had three months to figure this out. I'm just finding it real hard to give a sh-t anymore ... 

In my opinion there is no sport that is less self-aware than baseball. Not sure who is most to blame during the current lockout b/c I honestly don't care, but baseball just insists on getting in its own way. They could have owned the summer of 2020 while everyone was home during the worst of COVID lockdowns....could have played day game after day game where young kids could watch with their parents......ah, whatever, that's done and gone. Anyway, for a sport that needs exactly zero things to get in its way, it sure finds plenty of things to get in the way. 

Found this somewhat amusing. Druw Jones, the high school son of Andruw Jones and a big-league prospect, gets "Overrated" chants at his game recently. Best response ever ... 

He has committed to Vanderbilt but will be drafted (probably in the top 5), so likely won't play one second of college baseball. 

19 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Found this somewhat amusing. Druw Jones, the high school son of Andruw Jones and a big-league prospect, gets "Overrated" chants at his game recently. Best response ever ... 

He has committed to Vanderbilt but will be drafted (probably in the top 5), so likely won't play one second of college baseball. 

I'm not "old", but seeing the sons of athletes I watched growing up become pros sure makes me feel it. The last few years have been weird.

9 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Back to 9 inning doubleheaders and no stupid runner starting at 2nd base in extra innings. Thank god

Shift to be banned starting next year. Dumb

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Holy crap Tiny. It might be the first time I’ve ever agreed with you. 

Kind of a cool moment. 

A Cubs rookie pitcher, Ethan Roberts, finds out he made the Opening Day roster. 

Later, he said this is how it went down. He had taken a grounder off the hand and after he came off the field between innings, Dave Ross -- the manager -- asked how his hand was. 

Roberts: My hand's fine. 
Ross: Can you shake my hand? 
Roberts: Yes (shakes Ross' hand). See -- it's fine. 
Ross: Good, because you made the team.

I don't watch nearly as much baseball as I used to, but I've seen 2 grand slams so far this season.  Pretty interesting in that, prior to this, I don't think I've ever seen one!