Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

On 8/2/2021 at 9:41 PM, Hardwood83 said:

I want the best for Rizzo for sure, quality guy and all-time Cub.....BUT it is frustrating to read about him, Bryant and Baez killing it for their new teams. If they hadn't been so inconsistent (and outright sucking hard in the post-season) the past few years they wouldn't be playing for other teams. Cubs management deserves their share of blame, but they aren't responsible for Baez striking out 3 times every freaking game. Ok rant is over- again, all the best to Rizzo. :) 

I think the Cubs made the mistake of not shaking things up a few years back.  

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I think the Cubs made the mistake of not shaking things up a few years back.  

Had they done it in the offseason they likely would've gotten better returns too but they tried to hang on as long as possible. 

16 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

Had they done it in the offseason they likely would've gotten better returns too but they tried to hang on as long as possible. 

I didn't mean for them to do it for better returns but rather trying to win more titles.  

1 minute ago, Rico said:

I didn't mean for them to do it for better returns but rather trying to win more titles.  

The reality was that group wasn't going to win anymore in Chicago. They tried with multiple managers and that core couldn't repeat the magic they had win they won the World Series. They tried making roster moves in prior years but it just didn't work and when Theo left that was all she wrote for that core in Chicago which I'm 100% ok with personally. 

2 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

The reality was that group wasn't going to win anymore in Chicago. They tried with multiple managers and that core couldn't repeat the magic they had win they won the World Series. They tried making roster moves in prior years but it just didn't work and when Theo left that was all she wrote for that core in Chicago which I'm 100% ok with personally. 

That is my point...they should have trade a guy or two from the core a few years back.  Maybe if they would have done that it wouldn't have turned out like it did...a fire sale mid-season.  I realize it is all speculation on my part but the Cubs stayed status qua with the core when it was apparent(IMO) they needed some new blood years ago.  

Something happened to the Cubs after they won a World Series. GM Theo Epstein seemingly lost interest after 2016. The Cubs pitching peaked in 2016 and so did Kris Bryant in his 2nd season although he continued to play well enough to make several All Star teams. The Cubs screwed up with him and he was never going to sign long term with them anyway. Baez is a flashy player and home run hitter who strikes out too much. Rizzo is solid but on the back side of his career. Kyle Schwarber never found the groove after his initial splash until June of this year playing for Washington. Addison Russell should have been really good for a long time but his career collapsed after he was accused of domestic violence. None of the players they expected to develop turned out well. The chemistry was all wrong by 2021. It is sad what happened to the Cubs and they aren't likely to win another World Series in my lifetime. But at least they won one.

2 hours ago, Honkyman said:

Something happened to the Cubs after they won a World Series. GM Theo Epstein seemingly lost interest after 2016. The Cubs pitching peaked in 2016 and so did Kris Bryant in his 2nd season although he continued to play well enough to make several All Star teams. The Cubs screwed up with him and he was never going to sign long term with them anyway. Baez is a flashy player and home run hitter who strikes out too much. Rizzo is solid but on the back side of his career. Kyle Schwarber never found the groove after his initial splash until June of this year playing for Washington. Addison Russell should have been really good for a long time but his career collapsed after he was accused of domestic violence. None of the players they expected to develop turned out well. The chemistry was all wrong by 2021. It is sad what happened to the Cubs and they aren't likely to win another World Series in my lifetime. But at least they won one.

They barely "bought' a WS with Maddon and an $88 million dollar advantage. Nothing real sustainable was going on here.

I’m a Sox fan so take it for what it’s worth but there was little chance of the Cubs retaining Bryant after this season. He was already making record salary numbers through arbitration due to his incredible start to his career. A team that dumped Darvish due to salary crunch the writing was on the wall that there was going to be roster turnover barring a playoff run. The losing streak prior to the break made this unlikely. The decision for the Cubs on Bryant was if the deadline return would outweigh the return they’d get in next years draft once they offered him a qualifying offer at season’s end.

The payroll flexibility they’ve gotten from all these deals I do suspect they will be major players in free agency this offseason. Whether that’s any of these players returning remains to be seen.

4 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yep. I hate single elimination baseball.  

I do too.  TBH, my gut told me the Cards were gonna get to the WS.  Must have been all that pixie dust I swallowed while the Redbirds were on fire.