Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Daily MLB Banter

ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports acrosd baseball, hundreds of minor league players were cut today and lost their jobs. Hundreds more will be released over the next week. In the end, upward of 1,000 players could see their baseball careers end. The minor leagues have simply been devastated.

39 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports acrosd baseball, hundreds of minor league players were cut today and lost their jobs. Hundreds more will be released over the next week. In the end, upward of 1,000 players could see their baseball careers end. The minor leagues have simply been devastated.

They gonna go down to a single level?

Yeah man, I know when we were having convos on how great the NBA minor leagues could be. How owners will do anything to stock talent. It’s a business and the minor leagues are a cost drain. MLB for years has tried to drastically lower the costs in the minors. Before this they were talking about cutting 3 levels and keeping 3 in the next CBA. I hate to see it so drastic. There are legit superstars that will never see the light of day. But with that little of talent pools you may see some younger players up earlier when injuries occur.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

What a massive swing and miss the MLB has taken here. Or maybe you could say they struck out looking? On all sides...owners, players, teams, whatever. They had the opportunity to be the one single sport for 2 months (probably more fair to say one month, but still). Competing against nothing else at all while everyone was home to watch, at a time where they have several young and marketable players. Now the NBA has a plan to restart, soccer is starting back up around the world, and people don't have to be home anymore. Though if I could have predicted a league to self sabotage its way into missing an opportunity like this, it definitely would have been the MLB. 

1 hour ago, Rico said:

I have all but resigned myself to watching golf and NASCAR for the rest of the summer.

There's a full slate of Premier League action all weekend starting today. Bundesliga has been back for several weeks, and MLS kicks off July 8th with a World Cup style tournament. Get on board!