Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
NotTheReal HoosierHoopster

One thing Kentucky basketball and Alabama football prove

If you are a big name program and you want to win and win big, you don't screw around in your coaching search. You hire the best and you don't take no for an answer. You pay whatever it takes. UK made a mistake and yanked Gillespie as soon as he missed the NCAA. I believe we have made three mistakes in a row now.

The results of these programs compared to ours speak for themseves.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="55648" timestamp="1396114208"]They also share many of the same fans. My goodness, UK basketball/Alabama football fans are even more miserable than the typical UK basketball fan.

We actually had a good coach with Sampson. He just couldn't run a program, which is part of the job.[/quote]

Haha wow I just missed your post

If you are a big name program and you want to win and win big, you don't screw around in your coaching search. You hire the best and you don't take no for an answer. You pay whatever it takes. UK made a mistake and yanked Gillespie as soon as he missed the NCAA. I believe we have made three mistakes in a row now.

The results of these programs compared to ours speak for themseves.

Especially to the athletes

[quote name="Hwy 1" post="55675" timestamp="1396116747"]Especially to the athletes[/quote]

Maybe we are on to something. 2 giant programs with the same fans generates 1 pot for 2 programs worth of booster money which then leads to the paying of whoever they want.

Alabama football had a 30 year span recently where they were consistently average.  There was lots of talk about how they were a has been program.  They went through 7 bad coaching hires in a row.

Don't act like they've been a constant powerhouse.  They had a long rough stretch.  Every program does.

Alabama football had a 30 year span recently where they were consistently average. There was lots of talk about how they were a has been program. They went through 7 bad coaching hires in a row.

Don't act like they've been a constant powerhouse. They had a long rough stretch. Every program does.

That's just incorrect. They won it all in 1994. They hired Saban and became powerful again in 2010. That's 16 years. A very long 16 years for fans with high expectstions.

It's all about hiring the right coach, something that Indiana has frankly had a difficult time with since the firing of Knight.

That's just incorrect. They won it all in 1994. They hired Saban and became powerful again in 2010. That's 16 years. A very long 16 years for fans with high expectstions.

It's all about hiring the right coach, something that Indiana has frankly had a difficult time with since the firing of Knight.

Alabama didn't win anything in 1994.  They won in 1992 under Gene Stallings. 

I live in Nashville and there are more Bama FB and UK BB fans in town (since the arrival of Saban and Cal) than there are Tennessee fans of any sport in town

so if any of you ever start feeling bad about yourself remember it could be much worse, you could be surrounded by UK fans to the extent I am. In an odd twist, the only decent UK person I know is moving out of my neighborhood

You're right. And Saban was hired in 2007. So it was actually 15 years for Alabama instead of 16 before they got sick of not winning big and did whatever it took to get Saban.

From their 1979 title to their 2009 title they were largely irrelevant.  They had that one year in the middle (1992) where they broke through, but the rest of those 30 years were largely disappointing.