Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Plasticjimmyhat

Is Coach Crean feeling the heat?

He's good at more than just transition. Here is where his teams have ranked nationally in offensive rebounding percentage:

2014: 23rd

2013: 7th

2012: 59th

2011: 181st

2010: 89th

2009: 179th

2008: 23rd

2007: 19th

2006: 142nd

2005: 12th

2004: 30th

2003: 6th

Outside of his first three years at IU, I think you will be hard pressed to find a coach that has teams ranked that high consistently. As much as his dribble drive like offense tends to offend Hoosier senses, it is a large part of the reason for the high offensive rebounding rates. I am very confident in saying that because outside of this year with an excellent natural rebounder in Noah, Crean's teams have never been anywhere near the top in defensive rebounding. Until this year, he'd never had a team in the top 100 in defensive rebounding percentage.

Crean might not be the greatest offensive coach on the planet, but his system does work to generate extra possessions. It's more than just a good in transition system.

How does that translate to wins? generating extra possessions when you can't capitalize on said possessions ends your point.

Define "good coach." Crean is good at some things like offensive rebounding. He's not so good at others like turnovers. I'd say that Crean is a very good coach on offense, but a mediocre coach on defense. Overall, I think he's good. I don't think he's great or even quite good enough to get us where we want to go. But, if you say he's not a good coach, your arguments against him tend to fall on deaf ears because of the exaggeration.

There is no exaaggeration on CTC's in game coaching. To say that he is mediocre on defense and "OK" on offense seems to be backward in my opinion. I spent many a game watching Yogi dribble while the rest of the team watched. Their defense was the only thing they had going "OK" IMO.

He's good at more than just transition. Here is where his teams have ranked nationally in offensive rebounding percentage:<br /><br />2014: 23rd<br />2013: 7th<br />2012: 59th<br />2011: 181st<br />2010: 89th<br />2009: 179th<br />2008: 23rd<br />2007: 19th<br />2006: 142nd<br />2005: 12th<br />2004: 30th<br />2003: 6th<br /><br />Outside of his first three years at IU, I think you will be hard pressed to find a coach that has teams ranked that high consistently. As much as his dribble drive like offense tends to offend Hoosier senses, it is a large part of the reason for the high offensive rebounding rates. I am very confident in saying that because outside of this year with an excellent natural rebounder in Noah, Crean's teams have never been anywhere near the top in defensive rebounding. Until this year, he'd never had a team in the top 100 in defensive rebounding percentage.<br /><br />Crean might not be the greatest offensive coach on the planet, but his system does work to generate extra possessions. It's more than just a good in transition system.

We missed so many layups this year that its no surprise our offensive rebounds were up. I really don't see how offensive rebounds can be credited to the coach though.

[quote name="Dunn Woods" post="55970" timestamp="1396188073"]heading into year seven our program is behind Michigan St, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio St when it comes to comparing with other B1G schools

he damn sure better be feeling the heat[/quote]

And starting to fall behind Nebraska IMO

[quote name="Dunn Woods" post="55970" timestamp="1396188073"]heading into year seven our program is behind Michigan St, Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio St when it comes to comparing with other B1G schools

he damn sure better be feeling the heat[/quote]

Last year was the first year you could argue our program was in front of any of those programs for the past 15 years (and maybe longer) so I'm not sure this is all on Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

A question I've been pondering for awhile so I thought I would take it to a crean thread. Say IU makes the tournament next year but it's a short stay like round of 64. Is there more pressure on him (even hotter or possibly canned) or does the some of the pressure get lifted off? I've thought about it and with next years squad, a tournament birth isn't guaranteed as of right now.

A question I've been pondering for awhile so I thought I would take it to a crean thread. Say IU makes the tournament next year but it's a short stay like round of 64. Is there more pressure on him (even hotter or possibly canned) or does the some of the pressure get lifted off? I've thought about it and with next years squad, a tournament birth isn't guaranteed as of right now.

I think some pressure gets lifted off because we would presumably be returning EVERYONE. Right now, we'd have 0 seniors in the upcoming season, unless there is a 5th year transfer, so I think if he can get this young team to the tourney (even with an early exit), he would stay around another year to work with them and hopefully lead them deeper with more experience.

This is also assuming that there is not another mass exodus next year :)

[quote name="djsalway" post="57191" timestamp="1396534835"]I think some pressure gets lifted off because we would presumably be returning EVERYONE. Right now, we'd have 0 seniors in the upcoming season, unless there is a 5th year transfer, so I think if he can get this young team to the tourney (even with an early exit), he would stay around another year to work with them and hopefully lead them deeper with more experience.

This is also assuming that there is not another mass exodus next year :)[/quote]

Kind of how I feel on the subject. I've been hard on Crean but getting this upcoming team to the tourney will do wonders for experience and the year after.

He should be getting the heat on his players. It is clear little 5 is going to be the death of the players if they aren't careful...ie their twitter accounts. You would think the admin for IU would be monitoring their accounts instead of hunting for leaks on a message board. Clearly, they are not taking care of their own issues in house or these posts would not be happening, as it directly reflects IU, and the basketball program.

Sent from the gym using BtownBanners

He should be getting the heat on his players. It is clear little 5 is going to be the death of the players if they aren't careful...ie their twitter accounts. You would think the admin for IU would be monitoring their accounts instead of hunting for leaks on a message board. Clearly, they are not taking care of their own issues in house or these posts would not be happening, as it directly reflects IU, and the basketball program.

Sent from the gym using BtownBanners

I don't mean this in a disrespectful manner but what are you taking about? Sorry, I don't follow players' twitter accounts.

Uhhh..yeah. What are we talking about here? Did a player tweet a naked selfie with a middle-aged, married with kids school nurse licking his face with her shirt pulled down to expose her breasts? If not, I'd say we're ahead of the curve for now because that happened at KU this week.

Uhhh..yeah. What are we talking about here? Did a player tweet a naked selfie with a middle-aged, married with kids school nurse licking his face with her shirt pulled down to expose her breasts? If not, I'd say we're ahead of the curve for now because that happened at KU this week.

wow....

...you got some 'splainin to do, Lucy!...<in my best Latin accent>

[quote name="Rayl" post="57205" timestamp="1396536239"]Uhhh..yeah. What are we talking about here? Did a player tweet a naked selfie with a middle-aged, married with kids school nurse licking his face with her shirt pulled down to expose her breasts? If not, I'd say we're ahead of the curve for now because that happened at KU this week.[/quote] Ok my bad! Definitely not that bad! 3 things here ..I have been with other universities that monitor every word on social media by their players. 2. I would think that since drug testing and an arrest were in the table this year, you would want to be on top of this with all that is going on, especially underage players and I know they will be partaking and so do they 3. There is "stuff" going on that leads me to believe they will let this "elite" crew get away with anything, to keep them there. As a coach we all know that will be detrimental to the program. Again, I like Crean the man, I just question the method to get the final result. My point, you can't babysit but you can make darn sure it doesn't get to the public. Sent from the gym using BtownBanners

Agreed. Indiana has nobody to blame but themselves. Since the Knight firing, every decision made regarding the basketball program has been tge wrong one.
From letting Davis and the players bully them in letting Davis take over, extending him, to not hiring Matta 10 years ago. Hiring Kelvin Sampson when guys like Beillein were available. Hiring Crean when Sean Miller was available.

After all that, we get stuck being perpetually a fringe BIG power. Behind football schools such as Michigan, OSU and Wisconsin.

I completely agree with all of this, except I'm not sure that hiring Sampson over Beilein would have created much of a controversy at that time.  Sampson was the poster child for consecutive 20-win seasons back when 20 games was the benchmark (and teams didn't play a kajillion games like they do now) and he'd been to a final four.  Beilein had done some nice things at West Virginia, but I don't think he was as highly regarded as Sampson.

Sad part is, Crean may very well want to punish these guys, but his job is on the line and he knows it. Take the high road, punish or kick them off and get let go at the end of the season, or cover it up, let them play and hope to keep your ridiculously high paying job.

I know exactly what id do... and it'd be looking out for ME.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="IU Hoosier41" post="57217" timestamp="1396538096"]Sad part is, Crean may very well want to punish these guys, but his job is on the line and he knows it. Take the high road, punish or kick them off and get let go at the end of the season, or cover it up, let them play and hope to keep your ridiculously high paying job.

I know exactly what id do... and it'd be looking out for ME.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

I think I would find a happy median for both. Doesn't mean he can't punish the hell out of them in practice.