Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
ccgeneral

(2014) JUCO SG Devaughn Purcell to Illinois St.

He's 6'5". In college that's a wing folks.<br /><br />For next year:<br /><br />Stan, Yogi, Rojo = our guards<br />Troy, Max, Collin with a torn ACL = our wings<br />Hanner, Devin, PJ = our bigs<br /><br />We need bigs AND a wing

You forgot maybe the most important. JBJ.

Whatever, Coach Crean knows he has to pull out all stops and put on the full court press in regards to the Hoosier program next year.  I don't think he is looking down the road too far rather just get through next year with vast improvement even if it means only bringing in talent for one year players.  Not a way to "build" a program but he knows he has to save his hide!

[quote name="ccgeneral" post="53878" timestamp="1395851417"][url="http://www.jucorecruiting.com/devaughn-purcell-eastern-oklahoma-continues-see-interest-grow/"]http://www.jucorecruiting.com/devaughn-purcell-eastern-oklahoma-continues-see-interest-grow/[/url]
by Brad Winton February 4, 2014

DeVaughn Purcell, a 6-5 guard at Eastern Oklahoma State, has seen his recruitment heat up recently. Purcell, an Orlando, FL native, is one of the best athletes in the country, but has continued to develop other parts of his game while playing for former D1 coach Scott Edgard at Eastern Oklahoma.

Purcell is shooting the ball well from the three point line and is extremely difficult to stop when attacking the rim in transition. He also has a long/quick first step off the dribble which allows him to get the ball into the paint and create. Purcell uses his length and athleticism to get in passing lanes on the defensive end and can guard multiple positions on the floor. He rebounds the ball well on both ends and can rebound the ball and initiate the transition break. Purcell is averaging 21.5 points and 4.7 rebounds per game this year. He is shooting the ball at a high rate as well: FG%: 59, 3PT% 42, FT% 72

Purcell has had plenty of interest all season, but has really seen his recruitment pick up lately. Many mid and high major programs have been in to see Purcell in the past month. Here is a look at his recruitment (in no order):

Offers: Ole Miss, Illinois state, Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, Kennesaw State, FIU, UT San Antonio, Tulane

Interest: Arkansas, Rhode Island, Marquette, Iowa, USC, Memphis, Cincinnati, Bradley, FIU, Lamar, Eastern Kentucky, UCF, Southern Miss, George Mason[/quote\] where are we in this mix?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Crean is pretty toxic right now.

We didn't even offer.  I get frustration with Crean, I am frustrated too,  but this is the kind of pot shot I am getting sick of, especially in threads that are not CTC specific.    A kid we don't even offer chooses a school that actually did offer so somehow that negatively reflects on CTC?  C'mon man.  If we had offered you might have a point.  This is just groupthink piling on.  

I have been a big CTC guy, but I am really worried about where we are right now.  I'm on the fence now.  I could easily jump to the other side next year, so I have no problem with criticism of the man.  I just think we need to keep it fair.  Making a statement like this based on not getting a kid we never offered is not fair imo.  

We didn't even offer. I get frustration with Crean, I am frustrated too, but this is the kind of pot shot I am getting sick of, especially in threads that are not CTC specific. A kid we don't even offer chooses a school that actually did offer so somehow that negatively reflects on CTC? C'mon man. If we had offered you might have a point. This is just groupthink piling on.

I have been a big CTC guy, but I am really worried about where we are right now. I'm on the fence now. I could easily jump to the other side next year, so I have no problem with criticism of the man. I just think we need to keep it fair. Making a statement like this based on not getting a kid we never offered is not fair imo.

The fact that he didn't have an offer has nothing to do with the fact that Crean is a dead man walking now.

What should be done eventually should be done immediately. They should let Crean go and Glass needs to find his own guy. It would be best for everyone.

The kid may have come with an offer and to tell you the truth, he may not have. I know this, most in the know don't expect ANY top 75 players or so to choose Indiana until after next season. So we will be cutting our own throats for another calender year in the hopes that Crean can prove to the basketball world that he is not just a car salesman who happens to coach basketball.

That's crazy but then again, thats Indiana basketball for 20 years bow.

The fact that he didn't have an offer has nothing to do with the fact that Crean is a dead man walking now.

What should be done eventually should be done immediately. They should let Crean go and Glass needs to find his own guy. It would be best for everyone.

The kid may have come with an offer and to tell you the truth, he may not have. I know this, most in the know don't expect ANY top 75 players or so to choose Indiana until after next season. So we will be cutting our own throats for another calender year in the hopes that Crean can prove to the basketball world that he is not just a car salesman who happens to coach basketball.

Haven't we gotten some top 75 players recently? Yeah... His recruiting is what makes him the coach he is, a decent one. If he couldn't recruit, he wouldn't have any business being a head coach, so I believe you're overreacting a bit. Don't slam CTC just for not getting a kid who did not have an offer.

None of what you say changes my initial position.  You can not make a statement about on CTC "toxicity" level based on this kid.  You clearly don't like Crean and you saw a chance to take a shot so you did even though the facts in this case do not support your shot.  That is the junk I am talking about that I grow weary of.   

I am not saying you or anyone else has to like Crean or think he is the man for the job.  I'm not saying I do long term.  Like I said, I'm on the fence.  Let's just be fair in the criticism we send his way.  

I don't think Crean's toxic, especially if you're a player strictly focused on playing NBA ball in a year or two.

However, for players who may be great role players, but not potential first-rounders, there is certainly a largely negative aspect in playing college ball on a team which may lose over 50 percent it's lineup from pre to post-season. The uncertainty of the team's makeup and your place in the roster would be off-putting, and Indiana is not the most prestigious team in the country any more, like it or not.

Personally, I'd rather not accept transfers, just because I believe that in order to buy into a coaching philosophy, and do what is asked of you, you must be willing to make a long-term committment to a team and stick to it. IMHO, to build longevity into this system, we need to get solid role-players and take the time to develop them.