Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hovadipo

Guitar

Had a thread starting to lean this way, so figured I'd make one of its own. Who out there plays? How did you learn? What guitars do you have? What music do you like to play?

If you don't know how to play, (I'd suggest learning, personally) who are some of your favorite guitarists?

My bio: I'm self taught over the last year and a half. I'm sure if someone that knows guitars watched me play, they probably would say I have some bad tendencies, but I'm not looking to be perfect, I just love music and learning how to play it myself. I'm playing a Squier (Chinese) Strat, Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and a Fender dreadnought acoustic. I taught myself on a crappy toy acoustic basically. I'm not really technically sound, I mostly just learn songs and solos that I like the sound of. I can't write music or anything like that. I can't even read music, I just taught myself to read tabs, so I learn songs from those. My favorite guitarists:

-Gary Clark Jr.
-John Mayer (give him a chance, awesome guitarist)
-Angus Young
-Slash
-Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys)

Let's see what everyone else has.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

[quote name="CR3AMnCR1MS0N" post="37198" timestamp="1392215550"]Does bass guitar count or do I need my own thread?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Haha anything about playing music will work here. I know there's a thread about listening to music, I just wanted to give the players a thread.

Haha anything about playing music will work here. I know there's a thread about listening to music, I just wanted to give the players a thread.

Well in that case...

I've been playing Bass for almost 2 and a half years now.  Mostly self-taught (had a little bit of "lessons" in a band class in 2011; not much individual attention (for anybody) with the teacher) and over the past few months I've been gaining some confidence and have been beginning to feel like I'm not actually too bad at this music thing.

I love Alternative/Indie rock and Christian hard rock. I don't play as much of the hard rock stuff though because I don't wanna mess with tuning my 4-string to drop B.

Favorite bands:

The Killers

Muse

The Black Keys :)

Thousand Foot Krutch

Skillet

Red

[attachment=407:ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1392220217.718413.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1976 Fender Jazz- played for about 20 years, on and off. My dad handed me a Kay bass and said "E,A,D,G. Here is your octave". Inherited this from my dad (this is not my actual, but same year/style). Used to play with a Dr. Fong amp w/ Music Man head (tube). Nice warm sound. Haven't really played in awhile (kids, job, etc). I just saw Skillet last week, seeing Thousand Foot Krutch next month, saw Red last year :) Check out We as Human (we may have had this discussion, lol). I have so many infuences and favorites:

Kiss, Queen, Grand Funk, Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Styx, Alice Cooper, early Aerosmith, Captain Beyond, Steely Dan (man, I'm really showing my age here), Chicago, and on and on. Love most music- jazz, blues (especially Chicago and Delta styles), metal, thrash. It's probably easier to say what I dislike, lol.

I've been playing since I was 18 and picked it up because I thought it would help me get girls in college. I bought a book to learn but it sucked so I just self taught by learning chords then started learning lead guitar by listening to Stevie Ray and The Black Keys. My first guitar was a crappy $90 Spencer guitar. I don't even think this brand still exists. Once I got better I bought a 72 Telecaster Deluxe Reissue (which I still have), then later on I bought a 52 Hot Rod Telecaster and also own a Larrivee L-03 acoustic. I also own way to many stompboxes and a way too expensive hand built amp.

I'm mostly self taught, took some lessons but not enough to learn anything of substance.  Most guitarists are self taught.  I got my first guitar when I was around 13 or 14, a Takamine G series.  I sold it here recently, but my dad wanted to learn and never did so I still have his Fender acoustic out of a starter pack.  I go through spells of playing and not playing, so while I've had the guitar it's hard to say how long I've known to play.  I currently have an Ibanez ART2EX1, a silverburst Les Paul copy, with a Line 6 Spider IV 15W amp (I don't play gigs or anything, so I don't need one bigger).

Here's a pic, I got that strap because I thought it played well off of the silver/black paint.  It's a Planet Waves locking strap.  I play country and some rock but not hard rock or heavy metal.

374694_10101286960802099_1986300505_n.jp

I want to get a Gibson Les Paul and an Eric Clapton signature series Fender Strat (yeah, expensive taste).  Acoustics I actually like the sound of composite guitars like Rainsong graphites or Ovations, traditional wooden acoustics I'd say a Martin or a Taylor.

Listen to a lot of Johnny Cash.  Really like Eric Clapton.  Started listening to Imagine Dragons and OneRepublic some.  Play a Pop Evil song as well.

[quote name="mamasa" post="37210" timestamp="1392220231"]attachicon.gif [url="https://btownbanners.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=407"]ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1392220217.718413.jpg[/url] Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app 1976 Fender Jazz- played for about 20 years, on and off. My dad handed me a Kay bass and said "E,A,D,G. Here is your octave". Inherited this from my dad (this is not my actual, but same year/style). Used to play with a Dr. Fong amp w/ Music Man head (tube). Nice warm sound. Haven't really played in awhile (kids, job, etc). I just saw Skillet last week, seeing Thousand Foot Krutch next month, saw Red last year :) Check out We as Human (we may have had this discussion, lol). I have so many infuences and favorites: Kiss, Queen, Grand Funk, Allman Brothers, Doobie Brothers, Styx, Alice Cooper, early Aerosmith, Captain Beyond, Steely Dan (man, I'm really showing my age here), Chicago, and on and on. Love most music- jazz, blues (especially Chicago and Delta styles), metal, thrash. It's probably easier to say what I dislike, lol.[/quote] LUCKY!!!!! ((((((((: Oh and I was in Louisville for skillet on the 31st. Was that where you saw them? I also saw TFK at Winterjam (where everybody not named newsboys only gets 4 songs). Btw, I play on an Ibanez SR500SM Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

One of my favorite things to do is to arrange songs on guitar that weren't guitar songs to begin with. I like rap and r&b, so playing those on guitar and having someone sing is pretty fun.

[quote name="CR3AMnCR1MS0N" post="37259" timestamp="1392229397"]LUCKY!!!!! ((((((((:Oh and I was in Louisville for skillet on the 31st. Was that where you saw them? I also saw TFK at Winterjam (where everybody not named newsboys only gets 4 songs). Btw, I play on an Ibanez SR500SMSent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote]

Yep! That's the third time I've seen Skillet- good show again! Winterjam in Indy next month (I think). Not a big fan of "new" Newsboys- love Peter Furler! I much prefer The Roadshow over Winterjam- MercyMe is such a cool band, as I'm not a fan of Nick Hall or Newsong. Going to Alive and Ichthus this summer (wife is our youth leader :)) really was impressed with Royal Tailor (sp?) very fun. I was kinda disappointed that We as Human opened- they sold more music than any of the other bands last year!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Awesome topic. I could talk guitar all day! (sorry for the dupe thread)

No bass doesn't count!! Just kidding. A friend of mine played bass and as we would practice I would slowly turn the bass down in the mix to make him mad. Actually, last gig I played about 15 yrs ago I played bass.

I've been playing going on 30 years I guess. (Holy crap I'm old) Took lessons for a while, but got bored. Self taught after that thanks to Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine. Definitely a hobby, but I get addicted. Now a picture of a couple of my kids:

[attachment=494:guitars.jpg]

On the right, you see my newest addition, the EVH Striped Series Bumblebee. On the left, is my proudest possession. I call it my Frankensquier. I found a Fender Squier at a pawn shop for $100 and did a refurb on it. Stripped it down, repainted and replaced the pickup with the VEH pickup from GuitarFettish which mocks the Gibson PAF Eddie Van Halen had in his Frankenstrat.

I also have a '97 Fender American Standard and a Martin DX1AE accoustic. As far as an amp, you'll laugh, but I play thru a 25 yr. old Marshall Micro Stack. No reverb but the sound is great otherwise.

By the pics, I'm sure you can figure out my favorite guitarist, Edward Van Halen, I like and respect tons of others. SRV, Clapton, Frampton, Johnson and others I can't think of right now.

[quote name="Buck Naked" post="43494" timestamp="1393790464"]Awesome topic. I could talk guitar all day! (sorry for the dupe thread) No bass doesn't count!! Just kidding. A friend of mine played bass and as we would practice I would slowly turn the bass down in the mix to make him mad. Actually, last gig I played about 15 yrs ago I played bass. I've been playing going on 30 years I guess. (Holy crap I'm old) Took lessons for a while, but got bored. Self taught after that thanks to Guitar for the Practicing Musician magazine. Definitely a hobby, but I get addicted. Now a picture of a couple of my kids: attachicon.gif [url="https://btownbanners.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=494"]guitars.jpg[/url] On the right, you see my newest addition, the EVH Striped Series Bumblebee. On the left, is my proudest possession. I call it my Frankensquier. I found a Fender Squier at a pawn shop for $100 and did a refurb on it. Stripped it down, repainted and replaced the pickup with the VEH pickup from GuitarFettish which mocks the Gibson PAF Eddie Van Halen had in his Frankenstrat. I also have a '97 Fender American Standard and a Martin DX1AE accoustic. As far as an amp, you'll laugh, but I play thru a 25 yr. old Marshall Micro Stack. No reverb but the sound is great otherwise. By the pics, I'm sure you can figure out my favorite guitarist, Edward Van Halen, I like and respect tons of others. SRV, Clapton, Frampton, Johnson and others I can't think of right now.[/quote] Love those two you have pictured. Awesome paint jobs. Question: How much of a pain was it switching out pickups? I, too, have a Squier Fender. I've already stripped it down and put a black bridge (this was my first guitar strip down, so that was an adventure), all black cosmetic parts on it (pickguard, tips, knobs, pickup covers, all that) and I wouldn't mind eventually putting some new pickups in it. A) Was it worth it? (I would assume yes, but you never know) and B ) does it take that much skill with a soldering iron? Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I am partial to the maple neck look but I do dig the black headstock with that rosewood neck. And American Fender with humbuckers would be cool.

Really a good sounding instrument.  One thing that you can't really see in the picture that stands out in person is that in the red body you can see some of the wood grain showing through the paint and really makes an attractive guitar.  In person it just draws your eye to it.

Definitely a good looking piece. Glad you use it on real music and don't let it get all corrupted with all the slasher music these guys play.  :P

Not the most expensive instrument, I gave less than 300 for it and it's made in China but not a bad instrument at all.  I really don't like distortion, I've played with it some on my amp but I prefer clean sounds instead of muddying it up.

Love those two you have pictured. Awesome paint jobs. Question: How much of a pain was it switching out pickups? I, too, have a Squier Fender. I've already stripped it down and put a black bridge (this was my first guitar strip down, so that was an adventure), all black cosmetic parts on it (pickguard, tips, knobs, pickup covers, all that) and I wouldn't mind eventually putting some new pickups in it. A) Was it worth it? (I would assume yes, but you never know) and B ) does it take that much skill with a soldering iron? Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It was but it wasn't. I don't know about your Squier but when I stripped mine down I found out it was  basically two pieces of plywood stuck together, i.e. CHEAP body. So, sound wise, you will always lose something even if you switch out the pick ups. The one I did put in does sound better, but it was a cheaper pickup, $35. (BTW- I do recommend Guitar Fetish, cheap prices and good customer service. My pickup sound like advertised, kind of the brown sound I was looking for)

As for the difficulty, the thing I had problems with was work space under the pickguard. Seemed like there was a lot of wiring and shielding under the pickguard. Hated separating the pickguard so the room was minimal. You don't have to be an expert. The pickup I bought had the wiring diagram with it and there are plenty of web sites with info.

All in all, I'm glad I did it as a fun project. Almost bought a kit and still might if I decide to try Franke 3.0, but like I said, I wouldn't throw a $200 or so pickup in it because I don't think you would get a $200 boost in sound. 

But do post some pics of the finished project. Did you use a flat paint or glossy? Curious about the look your going for. Love the look of those flat painted guitars.