Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

A little different but for those developed/designers..

“Don’t Make Me Think” by Steve Krug.

The pdf version is on the inter webs. Great book and you learn a shitton about web design but can be used with apps and applied to many different technologies.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I read the Century Trilogy. They were all good, but 3 was my least favorite.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Finished them and I agree the third was my least favorite. That said it was a fantastic trilogy and has prompted me to have read the 1st book in his "Kingsbridge" series and start on the 2nd. The first one "Pillars of the Earth" was fantastic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Finished them and I agree the third was my least favorite. That said it was a fantastic trilogy and has prompted me to have read the 1st book in his "Kingsbridge" series and start on the 2nd. The first one "Pillars of the Earth" was fantastic.

Yes. World without End is good also. I have yet to read the third one. I hear he is working on a prequel to Kingsbridge trilogy

Yes. World without End is good also. I have yet to read the third one. I hear he is working on a prequel to Kingsbridge trilogy

There is a 4th coming out this year. Not sure if that is the prequel or a continuation though. I'd assume it's the prequel you've heard about

There is a 4th coming out this year. Not sure if that is the prequel or a continuation though. I'd assume it's the prequel you've heard about

I found this. BTW, there were 2 miniseries made from the first 2 Kingsbridge series50ee21a271babf5984b900321733a3c1.jpg

I just finished "The Pioneers: The Heroic Story of the Settlers Who Brought the American Ideal West".  It's written around the group of settlers who first settled the Ohio Territory.  Focusing mainly around Marietta, Ohio.  Really cool book if you're into 1780-1820 era books.  I really enjoyed it. 

I decided to go in a different direction with my next book. I've always been a nature lover and at one time wanted to be a zoologist. I still watch nature series from people like David Attenborough and networks like AP, NGW, and PBS. During one of the PBS shows, I came across the story of Joel Sartore, a photographer who has made it his mission to attempt to photograph every species on the planet. His first book is called the Photo Ark, which I have read. Looking forward to this one.

P.S.- the photo is a screenshot from my Goodreads app.

673cff708dcc47205bb2de99be844fa2.jpg&key=12ac4a462cb3197adba27247560e076f35adee8019a887b46bad3d87a55f8fc3

I completed The Glass Hotel by Emily St John Mandel.  It was a little slow going at first with a lot of character/story building, but once the details were set, the book flew.  A good book about money, love, and financial crime.  I wouldn't say it was great or even solid, but still good.  Not as good as Station Eleven (post-apocalyptic) however.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Robert Langon series by Dan Brown is pretty good.  Angels and Demons, The DaVinci Code, The Lost Symbol, Inferno, and Origin are the 5 in the series.  I know I haven't read Origin and The Lost Symbol I'm not sure, but I have read and enjoyed the others.

15 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Robert Langon series by Dan Brown is pretty good.  Angels and Demons, The DaVinci Code, The Lost Symbol, Inferno, and Origin are the 5 in the series.  I know I haven't read Origin and The Lost Symbol I'm not sure, but I have read and enjoyed the others.

I enjoyed Angels and Demons quite a bit but actually preferred the movie more. The changes they made were beneficial to the overall plot I felt. 

28 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I enjoyed Angels and Demons quite a bit but actually preferred the movie more. The changes they made were beneficial to the overall plot I felt. 

Been a long time since I've seen the movie, just finished watching the Inferno movie actually.

About once a week, I go to Goodreads.com and go through the book giveaways they have listed. Today I checked my email and found out I won this book. It is the 5th time I've won in 3 yrs.
I have read many Jeff Shaara novels.
His father, Michael, wrote the classic Novel about the battle of Gettysburg, The Killer Angels.28b2382bab25e7e42779820af36e5927.jpg

Just finished “The Impossible Climb”, by Mark Synnott. Ostensibly. it’s an up close account of Alex Honnold’s free solo ascent of El Capitan. But it’s also a semi-autobiographical account of the author’s life in the climbing world along with a history of climbing in Yosemite. 
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Have always been fascinated by mindsets and life experiences that are far afield of mine. Plus, gun to my head, if I had to pick the greatest athletic feat I can think of, Honnold’s ascent of El Cap would probably be it. Just astonishing.

I've had The Reckoning by John Grisham on my to read list for awhile now. I finally was able to read it over the last few days. I haven't read too many Grisham books, but after finishing this one, it vaulted into my top ten books ever. I never saw the ending coming .

29 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I've had The Reckoning by John Grisham on my to read list for awhile now. I finally was able to read it over the last few days. I haven't read too many Grisham books, but after finishing this one, it vaulted into my top ten books ever. I never saw the ending coming .

It was a really good book. I kind of saw it but not really. I'm nearing the end of his book, The Guardians. Then I'll be on to the latest Baldacci book, Walk the Wire. Part of the Amos Decker series. 

It was a really good book. I kind of saw it but not really. I'm nearing the end of his book, The Guardians. Then I'll be on to the latest Baldacci book, Walk the Wire. Part of the Amos Decker series. 

I really like the Amos Decker books.

On 5/1/2020 at 9:24 AM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

About once a week, I go to Goodreads.com and go through the book giveaways they have listed. Today I checked my email and found out I won this book. It is the 5th time I've won in 3 yrs.
I have read many Jeff Shaara novels.
His father, Michael, wrote the classic Novel about the battle of Gettysburg, The Killer Angels.28b2382bab25e7e42779820af36e5927.jpg

I'm on Goodreads as well.  The giveaway section had some that looked interesting, but I prefer printed books over digital and wasn't comfortable giving my address.