Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

7 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

That's it. I read it a couple years ago or so. It was pretty good, though not one of my favorite Vietnam War novels. My favorite is the Expendables by Leonard B Scott.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I enjoyed Matterhorn but "Steel My Soldiers' Heart" by Col. Hackworth is quite amazing.  I've read it at least twice.

23 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Completed Beneath a Scarlet Sky tonight.  Unbelievably excellent book/story. 

Read that a couple summers ago. I was making decent progress on it and one afternoon, became so engrossed that I finished the final 200 pages or so in one sitting. Just couldn't put it down. Fabulous book -- one of my all-time favorites. 

Completed Beneath a Scarlet Sky tonight.  Unbelievably excellent book/story. 
I concur. Read a a couple years ago. I saw on Goodreads, there is a giveaway for a new book by the same author set in WWII. If I find it, I will share what it is called.

I concur. Read a a couple years ago. I saw on Goodreads, there is a giveaway for a new book by the same author set in WWII. If I find it, I will share what it is called.

Here it is. Publishing date is in May
dbe84dccb65aab421288ba7df4b66d04.jpg

9 hours ago, LamarCheeks said:

Read that a couple summers ago. I was making decent progress on it and one afternoon, became so engrossed that I finished the final 200 pages or so in one sitting. Just couldn't put it down. Fabulous book -- one of my all-time favorites. 

I had the same thing occur. I read the middle half of it in one sitting, 200-250 pages. It was quite amazing. 

I’ll add it to my list. Thanks!
I signed up on the Goodreads website to try to win a free copy. Search the book and it will say it is entered as a giveaway. Click on it to put your name in. It cannot be done on the app. I've won about 6 books doing it.

Just finished  "A Lowcountry Heart" by Pat Conroy. I have always loved his books and have been a fan since The Lords of Discipline. His prose always takes me back to the beauty of the South Carolina barrier islands and the city of Charleston. This book was published after he passed away in 2016 and contains many excerpts from his blog and a heartfelt letter to his grandson with advice on being a better basketball player on and off the court. He never got to see him play high school ball.

On 1/31/2021 at 6:32 PM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

That's it. I read it a couple years ago or so. It was pretty good, though not one of my favorite Vietnam War novels. My favorite is the Expendables by Leonard B Scott.

Read all Scott's books. Here is telling my age~ LTC Leonard (Hollywood) Scott was my Commandant at Airborne school in 85. He would always run by our formations and the Airborne candidates would go wild! Met him many years later and spoke about some stuff in a PX at Bragg where i ran into him while he was promoting the "Expendables" when it first came out. a genuinely good man even though in the 80s his OG-107s were not within AR-67-1 but damn did he look hollywood! Anyhow, good read but seriously check out the "FIVE FINGERS" if you want a "non-fiction" (wink-wink) look at some of our unconventional ops in SE ASIA by US and Allied forces. amazing book.

Read all Scott's books. Here is telling my age~ LTC Leonard (Hollywood) Scott was my Commandant at Airborne school in 85. He would always run by our formations and the Airborne candidates would go wild! Met him many years later and spoke about some stuff in a PX at Bragg where i ran into him while he was promoting the "Expendables" when it first came out. a genuinely good man even though in the 80s his OG-107s were not within AR-67-1 but damn did he look hollywood! Anyhow, good read but seriously check out the "FIVE FINGERS" if you want a "non-fiction" (wink-wink) look at some of our unconventional ops in SE ASIA by US and Allied forces. amazing book.
That is awesome. I too have read all his books. Very good reads.

I can tell the HS basketball season started here in Illinois. I just finished my first book in February last night. I work the scorers table at almost all home games, both boys and girls at almost all levels and watch a lot of the away on streaming.
The book I finished was Split Second, tge first King and Maxwell book, by David Baldacci. I really enjoyed it.

I’m going to finish The Last Battle tonight. It’s a pretty good read. Nothing too special but it chronicles a mission to rescue VIP French prisoners in the closing days of WWII.  The special thing about this battle was German Army Units fought with US forces against the SS. 

Debating on my next book.  Might start Rick Atkinsons Liberation trilogy. But not sure 

A few days ago, I finished "The Confession" by Grisham.

For some reason, I thought it was a relatively recent release, because the cover said, "First time in paperback." But it actually came out in 2010. Regardless, it was a decent read. I thought at a couple points, it kinda dragged on -- but for the most part, I can say I was entertained. 

Just by happenstance, it was a very timely to pick that up. It's about the death penalty and within the past month here in Virginia, both houses of the GA voted to abolish capital punishment. 

6 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Very good books

Yeah I have read a bit of the first book and it was so well written. He’s writing a trilogy of the American revolution that I can’t wait for him to finish. 

I read a lot for work, so when I read on my own, it's almost always fiction -- because I want to be entertained. But I strayed a bit with my last book -- and I'm glad I did. I minored in history at IU and had a prof who was a huge Truman fan. That rubbed off on me a bit, because I've always found him a fascinating person -- basically went from being a nobody to being president in a matter of 20 or so years. Anyway, my latest read was "The Accidental President." Pretty interesting stuff. One thing I found somewhat compelling: We bombed Hiroshima. Then Russia declared war on Japan. Then we bombed Nagasaki. Then Japan surrendered. All about a week's time. After the surrender, Russia was like, "Ok guys, how are we gonna divvy up Japan?" ... They had been in that part of the war for about a half-hour!