Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

Just finished 2 books by David Baldacci.  The first is the latest in the Amos Decker series entitled Walk the Wire set in North Dakota.  I thought it was a good enjoyable read and would recommend it.  As a bonus, Will Robie and Jessica Reel also figure fairly prominently into the storyline.
The second book entitled One Good Deed introduces a new 'hero' named Aloysius Archer.  Unknown if Baldacci intends to make Archer a limited series or a simple stand alone novel.  I was pretty disappointed and didn't feel it was up to the standards of his other protagonists.  Archer is an ex-con on parole for a crime he didn't commit in the deep south set in the early 1950's.  I felt too much of the plot involved pretty farfetched events or leaps of faith.  Adding to the problem for me was a secondary main character in this novel has the surname of Shaw and hard not to keep thinking of the Shaw character in Baldacci's Shaw series.  They are not one and the same and I don't know why he wouldn't have used a different surname.  
Read Walk the Wire; pass on One Good Deed.

Anything set in North Dakota should fail. We need to sell North Dakota to the Canodians.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Finished Spymaster (2018) and Backlash (2019) the latest in the Scot Harvath series by Brad Thor.  The usual Harvath storyline but enjoyable fast paced reading.  Really should read Spymaster first as there is an underlying storyline that carries forward into Backlash.  

The next in the series will be released on July 21, titled Near Dark.

On 7/1/2020 at 10:42 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Just finished 2 books by David Baldacci.  The first is the latest in the Amos Decker series entitled Walk the Wire set in North Dakota.  I thought it was a good enjoyable read and would recommend it.  As a bonus, Will Robie and Jessica Reel also figure fairly prominently into the storyline.

The second book entitled One Good Deed introduces a new 'hero' named Aloysius Archer.  Unknown if Baldacci intends to make Archer a limited series or a simple stand alone novel.  I was pretty disappointed and didn't feel it was up to the standards of his other protagonists.  Archer is an ex-con on parole for a crime he didn't commit in the deep south set in the early 1950's.  I felt too much of the plot involved pretty farfetched events or leaps of faith.  Adding to the problem for me was a secondary main character in this novel has the surname of Shaw and hard not to keep thinking of the Shaw character in Baldacci's Shaw series.  They are not one and the same and I don't know why he wouldn't have used a different surname.  

Read Walk the Wire; pass on One Good Deed.

Love the Amos Decker Series. 

Been a while since I’ve posted. I’ve read a lot of books recently. Finished Outlaw Platoon recently. Really solid book.  Term Limits was another really good one. The Turn of the Key (spooky mystery) and The Wives (mental thriller). Recommended as well. Riding with Reagan (written by a secret service member ) was really insightful to the personal side of RR. 

Finshed 2 more by David Baldacci.  

Redemption featuring memory man, Amos Decker.  Interesting and enjoyable story line.

A Minute To Midnight the second in his FBI agent Atlee Pine series.  Her quest to discover what happened to her twin sister leads her to Andersonville, GA where she gets involved in helping solve a serial killer case.  Really suggest reading the first Atlee Pine novel, Long Road To Mercy so you'll have the background story on her twin sister before reading A Minute To Midnight..

Recommend both.

My kids gave me 3 month subscription to something called bookcase.club. They send 2 books a month in the genre you choose. I do not know what I will get and they are not knew releases(usually 2 to 5 yrs old). I have gotten a couple books I thought I wouldn't buy it myself. One of those was "The Shadow Land" by Elizabeth Kostova. It is a novel based entirely in Bulgaria. I really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just finished this quick read by General Hal Moore and Joe Galloway. It is a story about their return to the site of the November 1965 Ia Drang Valley battle. Their book We were Soldiers Once....and Young was required reading before attending my Basic NCO Course in 94.075d03d929afe2f1b03266f44bb39a8f.jpg

William Kent Krueger is fast becoming one of my favorite Authors. I've read 5 of his novels and they have all been great reads, especially Ordinary Grace.
His novel Tender Land was highly recommended by one of our fellow readers on here.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

William Kent Krueger is fast becoming one of my favorite Authors. I've read 5 of his novels and they have all been great reads, especially Ordinary Grace.
His novel Tender Land was highly recommended by one of our fellow readers on here.

You enjoyed it then?  It easily vaulted itself into the top tier of books for me!

On 8/3/2020 at 7:55 PM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

TBH, I had never heard of this author until I read this thread. Figured I'd give him a try, and had a couple gift cards to burn, so I picked up copies of both those books. Just finished "Ordinary Grace." ... Wow -- a really good read. I'm always in awe of an author's talents when a book moves me -- and this one did. Maybe it's because I lost my father three years ago, but when I finished this, my eyes were a tad moist. It's not often a book does that for me.

The only thing (and very minor) is that WKK doesn't seem to have a need for punctuation. A couple times, I found myself having to read a sentence twice -- because the lack of commas threw me. Other than that, though, no complaints. I would have no qualms in recommending "Ordinary Grace." Now. I'm looking forward to reading "This Tender Land." ...Probably won't be my next book, but I'll definitely pick it up before the end of the year. 

I've mentioned before my favorite author is Louis L'Amour. In the mid to late 80s, Bantam Books released leatherette bound editions of all his novels, short story collections, his auto biography etc. I didn't have the finances to buy everything then, so I am slowly building the collection now that I am able too. I recently purchased over half the collection the collection(60) for less than $100. I was ecstatic, especially since 2 of Amy all time favorites were in the collection. They are Bendigo Shafter and The Lonesome Gods. Only 50 more to go.

Does anyone else have an author whose books you keep and re-read?

5 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I've mentioned before my favorite author is Louis L'Amour. In the mid to late 80s, Bantam Books released leatherette bound editions of all his novels, short story collections, his auto biography etc. I didn't have the finances to buy everything then, so I am slowly building the collection now that I am able too. I recently purchased over half the collection the collection(60) for less than $100. I was ecstatic, especially since 2 of Amy all time favorites were in the collection. They are Bendigo Shafter and The Lonesome Gods. Only 50 more to go.

Does anyone else have an author whose books you keep and re-read?

Steinbeck. When I first got out of college I spent a lot of time on the road and doubt there were any trips that I didn't have something of his with me. I've lost track of the number of times I've read Cannery Row.

Finished this book by Ken Follet. I have read 7 of his books now. 3 were his Century Trilogy. 3 were his Cathedral Trilogy. This was a WWII Action novel. I was not disappointed. Highly recommend this.

Check out this book on Goodreads: Jackdaws https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5062.Jackdaws

Finished this book by Ken Follet. I have read 7 of his books now. 3 were his Century Trilogy. 3 were his Cathedral Trilogy. This was a WWII Action novel. I was not disappointed. Highly recommend this.

Check out this book on Goodreads: Jackdaws https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5062.Jackdaws

The 4th Kingsbridge (cathedral)series book is available now btw

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I make no bones about the fact that I'm old --  72 to be exact.  I'm sitting in my dentist's office waiting to be called for my exam and this petite much older than 72 lady came in with her walker for her appointment.  She sits down and proceeds to open up a Brad Thor novel which really caught me by surprise.  I asked her if she liked Thor's novels and she told me she owned every one of his books.  So I asked her about Brad Taylor's series featuring Pike Logan and yup, she's a fan.  I then asked her about Jack Reacher and same reply.  And then she asks me if I read David Baldacci's books.  It's a good thing I was wearing my mask so she couldn't see me grinning at this sweet little old lady reading these kinds of books instead of harlequin romance novels.  

56 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I make no bones about the fact that I'm old --  72 to be exact.  I'm sitting in my dentist's office waiting to be called for my exam and this petite much older than 72 lady came in with her walker for her appointment.  She sits down and proceeds to open up a Brad Thor novel which really caught me by surprise.  I asked her if she liked Thor's novels and she told me she owned every one of his books.  So I asked her about Brad Taylor's series featuring Pike Logan and yup, she's a fan.  I then asked her about Jack Reacher and same reply.  And then she asks me if I read David Baldacci's books.  It's a good thing I was wearing my mask so she couldn't see me grinning at this sweet little old lady reading these kinds of books instead of harlequin romance novels.  

That's my grandma!  Did you ask her about the Mitch Rapp series?!

13 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

That's my grandma!  Did you ask her about the Mitch Rapp series?!

OMG, I had a senior moment and totally forgot about Rapp.  I've no doubt she reads those as well.  If the truth were known, she's probably a retired hit lady for the mob and her walker could be converted into an AK-47 in seconds.

Just finished reading the "Kenzie and Genarro" series by Dennis Lehane. Very good and quick reads. "Darkness Take My Hand" and "Prayers for Rain" were my two favorites of the 6.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk