Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naturalhoosier

Book Thread

I'm on Goodreads as well.  The giveaway section had some that looked interesting, but I prefer printed books over digital and wasn't comfortable giving my address.
I only enter giveaways for printed books. Not too worried about my address. It is already public plus I have given my address to Amazon, Sam's Club, Fanatics and plenty of other internet sellers.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I really like the Amos Decker books.

I do too. This was just released not too long ago. 

Finished the Guardians. If you like the Reckoning, you'll enjoy the Guardians. I've not read too much Grisham, but I like how these are based loosely on true events. 

10 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Just bought three copies of The Big Finish for my wife, daughter, and I to read.  Little bit of family book discussion.

Love this idea. Currently working on a list of books for various ages to do the same thing with my wife and daughter. Wife isn’t a reader but she wants our daughter to be. 

Finished The Boys in the Boat by Daniel Brown. It’s about the University of Washington’s Crew team from the early 1930s. Focused mainly on one individual who had a terribly upbringing and fought through, persevered, and won at life. Well written. It ties in Nazi Germany as Berlin hosted the 1936 Olympics. It was also interesting to read how much impact rowing had on a mainstream level. Just a wonderful story. 

076E5891-DFEC-47D0-8584-BE600CF30B45.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Finished The Boys in the Boat by Daniel Brown. It’s about the University of Washington’s Crew team from the early 1930s. Focused mainly on one individual who had a terribly upbringing and fought through, persevered, and won at life. Well written. It ties in Nazi Germany as Berlin hosted the 1936 Olympics. It was also interesting to read how much impact rowing had on a mainstream level. Just a wonderful story. 

There’s a documentary made from this book also.  Used to be on Netflix. Not sure if it is anymore 

25 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

My niece’s husband gave me this for Christmas maybe 3 years ago. Had never heard of the story. A great read.

I highly recommend “The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting Up a Generation for Failure” by Greg Lukianoff/Jonathan Haidt. 

It takes a psychological dive into the why’s and how’s of today’s college shout-down / cancel culture (from the students to the parents to the professors).  How the lack of free-play (and helicopter parenting) within today’s youth and the rise of smartphones and social media have been as much of a detriment as a benefit.  While the authors are self-admitted Liberals, they do a decent job (not always, but for the most part) of toeing the neutrality line. 

This should be mandatory reading for all high school kids, teachers, parents with kids.  Fine, virtually everyone.  Solid solid book.

I’m ordering this book today

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My wife’s a professor and her stories of helicopter parents are hilarious, tragic and disturbing all rolled into one. 

In her current role she teaches med students, there are still helicopter parents not as many but they are there.

There is a way to be Hands on without being THAT

51 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

My wife’s a professor and her stories of helicopter parents are hilarious, tragic and disturbing all rolled into one. 

In her current role she teaches med students, there are still helicopter parents not as many but they are there.

There is a way to be Hands on without being THAT

I am an attorney for a hospital.

One of my colleagues handles most of the employment contracts for physicians and was negotiating an employment contract for a youngish doctor (either our age or a bit older, so late 20s/early 30s) we were hiring. Her father ,who is a college professor (has a JD but not a practicing attorney), was the one who "negotiated" the employment contract with us. Apparently, he didn't add much in the way of legal negotiations and it was basically him being a helicopter parent. My friend couldn't believe that a DOCTOR still had parents that felt like they had to be involved with her FUTURE EMPLOYER. Apparently he said something along the lines of "someday she is going to have to do this herself". Uhhh, ya think?

I would like to add that my parents had nothing to do with my employment negotiations (though several years of love and support to get me to that point).

12 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Just happened to check it’s now on Prime. Called boys of 36

Thx. Checked it out. Pretty solid. My only comment was they used a few pictures at the beginning that didn’t jive with the specifics of the story being told. But 99% of people probably would never recognize it. Such a good story!!!!

13 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

Thx. Checked it out. Pretty solid. My only comment was they used a few pictures at the beginning that didn’t jive with the specifics of the story being told. But 99% of people probably would never recognize it. Such a good story!!!!

Yep. Their coach had a great quote after they won the NC that I can’t believe isn’t more well known.

Why they won cannot be attributed to individuals  

About once a week, I go to Goodreads.com and go through the book giveaways they have listed. Today I checked my email and found out I won this book. It is the 5th time I've won in 3 yrs.
I have read many Jeff Shaara novels.
His father, Michael, wrote the classic Novel about the battle of Gettysburg, The Killer Angels.28b2382bab25e7e42779820af36e5927.jpg&key=1f91e82593393a75a4603724fe9af5aac41386f57bf1717380b4a5f5e95a3279

The copy I received was a pre release version. It had the front cover art, but not the back cover 4266c27ffacc4d2f65e8c530fe0d3562.jpg

Louis L'amour has always been among, if not my favorite Authors. IMO, his books aren't just "Westerns".
One of the things I love about his novels are the quotations that pertain to life that appear in them. His daughter, Angelique L'amour, compiled his best in the book "A Trail of Memories". I've had my copy for years and often go to it.
One of my favorites is this one and it is appropriate for today:
"Odd thing, I'd never thought of my pa as a person. I expect a child rarely does think of his parents that way. They are a Father and Mother, but a body rarely thinks of them as having hope's, dreams, ambitions, desires and loves.... I get to wondering if he ever doubted himself like I did, if he ever felt short of what he wished to be, if he ever longed for things beyond him that he couldn't quite put into words"
Louis L'amour

8f0bed941df34925afa55e4d86195a9c.jpg

Just finished 2 books by David Baldacci.  The first is the latest in the Amos Decker series entitled Walk the Wire set in North Dakota.  I thought it was a good enjoyable read and would recommend it.  As a bonus, Will Robie and Jessica Reel also figure fairly prominently into the storyline.

The second book entitled One Good Deed introduces a new 'hero' named Aloysius Archer.  Unknown if Baldacci intends to make Archer a limited series or a simple stand alone novel.  I was pretty disappointed and didn't feel it was up to the standards of his other protagonists.  Archer is an ex-con on parole for a crime he didn't commit in the deep south set in the early 1950's.  I felt too much of the plot involved pretty farfetched events or leaps of faith.  Adding to the problem for me was a secondary main character in this novel has the surname of Shaw and hard not to keep thinking of the Shaw character in Baldacci's Shaw series.  They are not one and the same and I don't know why he wouldn't have used a different surname.  

Read Walk the Wire; pass on One Good Deed.