Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

29 minutes ago, Demo said:

Ok, need some music suggestions for an upcoming drive. 11 hrs or so. Want to do all live. Currently planning on:

Jeff Buckley  “Mystery White Boy Live”

Allison Krause & Union Station. “Live”

Rage Against the Machine  “Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium”

Sleater-Kinney “Live in Paris”

Brandi Carlile “Live at Benaroya Hall” 

also have Uncle Tupelo’s last live show downloaded. But I am definitely lacking variety. 

Thoughts?

Some hidden gems I have been binging as of late. Caveat - only one is “live.”

X-Ray Spex “Germfree Adolecence” (love me some Poly Styrene)

Chris Bell “I Am the Cosmos” cause you’re already there and the title track maybe the best song ever written

The Jon Brion show—Eliot Smith episode. Waiting for you on YouTube.

Wilco “Cruel Country” Tweedy has been semi-lame lately, but this one returns to top form.

Horsegirl “Versions of Modern Performance” they are young, British, and they rock

Florence Beatrice Price “Symphony No. 3 in C Minor.” One of the great under-appreciated composers.

Kevin Ayers “The Unfairground.” Founder of Soft Machine has a comeback masterpiece before he dies, with help from Teenage Fanclub, Neutral Milk Hotel, Roxy Music, and others. Highly recommended.

19 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Some hidden gems I have been binging as of late. Caveat - only one is “live.”

X-Ray Spex “Germfree Adolecence” (love me some Poly Styrene)

Chris Bell “I Am the Cosmos” cause you’re already there and the title track maybe the best song ever written

The Jon Brion show—Eliot Smith episode. Waiting for you on YouTube.

Wilco “Cruel Country” Tweedy has been semi-lame lately, but this one returns to top form.

Horsegirl “Versions of Modern Performance” they are young, British, and they rock

Florence Beatrice Price “Symphony No. 3 in C Minor.” One of the great under-appreciated composers.

Kevin Ayers “The Unfairground.” Founder of Soft Machine has a comeback masterpiece before he dies, with help from Teenage Fanclub, Neutral Milk Hotel, Roxy Music, and others. Highly recommended.

“Versions of Modern Performance” is a fantastic record. Heard Antiglory on XMU a few months ago, loved it, and the album is just a killer.

On 1/9/2023 at 10:07 PM, Demo said:

Ok, need some music suggestions for an upcoming drive. 11 hrs or so. Want to do all live. Currently planning on:

Jeff Buckley  “Mystery White Boy Live”

Allison Krause & Union Station. “Live”

Rage Against the Machine  “Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium”

Sleater-Kinney “Live in Paris”

Brandi Carlile “Live at Benaroya Hall” 

also have Uncle Tupelo’s last live show downloaded. But I am definitely lacking variety. 

Thoughts?

If you like Prog Rock, Polyphia is a band I just stumbled upon this weekend and I’m enjoying. More jam band/music then vocals. I’m not a jam band guy but so far so good with Polyphia. No suggested album, I just select the artist in Amazon Music and go with what they give me. 

21 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

If you like Prog Rock, Polyphia is a band I just stumbled upon this weekend and I’m enjoying. More jam band/music then vocals. I’m not a jam band guy but so far so good with Polyphia. No suggested album, I just select the artist in Amazon Music and go with what they give me. 

Daughter #1’s boyfriend is also a fan. I need to check out.

12 hours ago, Demo said:

Daughter #1’s boyfriend is also a fan. I need to check out.

Look back through this thread we’ve been posting Polyphia (btw they’re out of Dallas-Fort Worth). Chimera is an awesome tune, fusion of spanish-guitar style with heavy metal and hip hop

@Demo this post is for you. When you look at the players, a strong case can be made that I Am The Cosmos is far more a logical third Big Star album than Third:

I Am The Cosmos
Chris Bell - guitar, vocals
Ken Woodley - bass, organ
Richard Rosebrough - drums

Better Save Yourself
Chris Bell - guitar, vocals, organ, bass
Bill Cunningham - contrabass, string arrangement
Leslye Gartrell - 1st violin
Tom Boyd - 2nd violin
Bill Thurman - viola
Dan Neal - cello

Speed of Sound
Chris Bell - vocals, guitar, Moog synth
Ken Woodley - bass

Get Away
Chris Bell - vocals, guitar, bass
Alex Chilton - guitar
Ken Woodley - bass
Jody Stephens - drums

You and Your Sister (original single)
Alex Chilton - backing vocals
Tom Boyd - 2nd violin
Bill Thurman - viola
Dan Neal - cello

I Got Kinda Lost
Chris Bell - vocals, guitar
Andy Hummel - bass
Jody Stephens - drums

Look Up
Chris Bell - vocals, guitars
Andy Hummel - bass
Unknown - Mellotron, backing vocals

Make A Scene
Ken Woodley - bass

There Was A Light
Chris Bell - vocals, guitar, piano
Andy Hummel - bass
Jody Stephens - drums
Unknown - backing vocals

I Don't Know
Ken Woodley - bass

Fight At The Table
Jim Dickinson - piano, synth
Jack Holder - piano
Andy Hummel - bass
Carl Marsh - sax

Though I Know She Lies
Ken Woodley - electric piano, slide guitar, backing vocals
Unknown - bass, steel guitar

On 1/25/2023 at 2:44 PM, Stuhoo said:

@Demo this post is for you. When you look at the players, a strong case can be made that I Am The Cosmos is far more a logical third Big Star album than Third:

I Am The Cosmos
Chris Bell - guitar, vocals

Better Save Yourself
Chris Bell - guitar, vocals, organ, bass
Tom Boyd - 2nd violin
Bill Thurman - viola
Dan Neal - cello

Speed of Sound
Ken Woodley - bass

Get Away
Alex Chilton - guitar
Ken Woodley - bass
Jody Stephens - drums

You and Your Sister (original single)
Alex Chilton - backing vocals
Tom Boyd - 2nd violin
Bill Thurman - viola
Dan Neal - cello

I Got Kinda Lost
Andy Hummel - bass
Jody Stephens - drums

Look Up
Chris Bell - vocals, guitars
Andy Hummel - bass
Unknown - Mellotron, backing vocals

Make A Scene
Ken Woodley - bass

There Was A Light
Chris Bell - vocals, guitar, piano
Andy Hummel - bass
Jody Stephens - drums
Unknown - backing vocals

I Don't Know
Ken Woodley - bass

Fight At The Table
Jim Dickinson - piano, synth
Jack Holder - piano
Andy Hummel - bass
Carl Marsh - sax

Though I Know She Lies
Ken Woodley - electric piano, slide guitar, backing vocals
Unknown - bass, steel guitar

Oh, I think that’s absolutely fair, particularly because, though this may just be my lazy listening habits, most of my favorite songs on that record are the most overtly Big Star-like songs, “Fight at the Table”, “I Got Kinda Lost”, “Getaway”. That being said, “Look Up” is freaking awesome and as good as anything he ever did. 

On 9/19/2022 at 4:30 PM, Stuhoo said:

Musical confession time:

I’ve always had a strange obsession with extraordinary songwriters and musicians that did some of their best work while losing their mind. Something about pulling greatness from dark depths and never being able to recover and explain how they did it is incredibly appealing.

Among the candidates for this status are the obvious choice, Syd Barrett, Skip Spence’s solo album Oar, Jason Molina (thanks to @Demo), Smile era Brian Wilson, Karen Dalton, Chris Bell of Big Star, Daniel Johnston, and my new obsession, the great Don Von Vliet a.k.a. Captain Beefheart.

Never was able to understand what the fuss was about with Captain Beefheart. But for some reason it finally clicks. Dissonant blues with crazy rhythms.

Try it, and you may not like it, but if you do you’ll go straight past like into love it.

If you haven’t seen it, last night I watched Dig!, the doc about the Brian Jonestown Massacre/Dandy Warhol’s relationship and it might be the best rock doc I’ve seen. There’ve not been many artists who’ve lived on the knife’s edge of mental health like Anton Newcombe has and this puts it on raw display. Highly, highly recommend.

7 minutes ago, Demo said:

If you haven’t seen it, last night I watched Dig!, the doc about the Brian Jonestown Massacre/Dandy Warhol’s relationship and it might be the best rock doc I’ve seen. There’ve not been many artists who’ve lived on the knife’s edge of mental health like Anton Newcombe has and this puts it on raw display. Highly, highly recommend.

Netflix?

RIP to Tom Verlaine. One of the icons of American punk. Fronted Television, which was an incredible, if short-lived band. Worked with everybody who was anybody in that world. Also had the ultimate trump card of cool by dating Patti Smith back in the day.

I grew up in a weird time. Collective Soul is one of my favorite bands ever, but were they popular? I always wonder if I’m alone in this CS bubble. It’s not lost on me that there aren’t many diehard CS fans out there lol. They had hits, but their entire catalog up until like 2004 is incredible. 

This is one of my favorite deep cuts. 

Actually 2 for 1 from the same album. 

5 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

I grew up in a weird time. Collective Soul is one of my favorite bands ever, but were they popular? I always wonder if I’m alone in this CS bubble. It’s not lost on me that there aren’t many diehard CS fans out there lol. They had hits, but their entire catalog up until like 2004 is incredible. 

This is one of my favorite deep cuts. 

Actually 2 for 1 from the same album. 

They're not bad; not a favorite of mine but far from the worst I've heard, I wouldn't turn them off if something came on.

I'll admit, I grew up going to car shows with my parents so I have old ears and there's not much newer stuff I like (there is some though).  I could listen to Johnny Cash, Eagles, The Doors, etc all day long.

6 hours ago, Demo said:

RIP to Tom Verlaine. One of the icons of American punk. Fronted Television, which was an incredible, if short-lived band. Worked with everybody who was anybody in that world. Also had the ultimate trump card of cool by dating Patti Smith back in the day.

Marquee Moon is so so good.