Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

Looks like I have some interesting music to appreciate.  Thanks bunches.  Fun to stretch at my old age.

I missed so much.  I had excuses.  

But now I don't.

Enjoyed both Kenny Wayne Shephard and Buddy Guy here about 2 years ago.   

Kenny Wayne Shephard was something else.  Buddy Guy is an entertainer but a little past his best.

Live music is to die for.

If in the Dayton area and you get a chance to see a local blues guy live...try Doug Hart Band.  Plays at Nick's in Xenia.  

Doug Hart Band

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes sir, been listening to that album for a long long time. And Lucinda covering Gram is the epic moment among a bunch of really good tracks.

Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Guilded Palace of Sin and Grievous Angel are all great works and I've wore them out.   Love Lucinda as well.Sweet Old world and Car Wheels are beautiful.  The Skip Spence reference surprised me as I thought I was the only person in the world who listened to it . Magnolia Electric Company's Live album is a treasure also.

Now for something a little different.... I'm always listening for music that doesn't really fit into any genre/box but has beat, melody and makes me think, good driving or workout music.

Found EDDIE recently, Aussie producer with heavy EDM-influenced stuff, techno/electronic/dub/trance/dance -- heavy base/beat, mostly instrumental, was picked up by Deadmau5's label Mau5trap. More I listen to it the more I enjoy it, great for drives and just chilling.

This one is both chill and kind of intense, pretty cool combination. EDDIE has done a number of variations on it --

Does a number of collaborations -- this one is with Dirty South, "Just a Riff"

11 hours ago, Woodson1980 said:

Sweetheart of the Rodeo, Guilded Palace of Sin and Grievous Angel are all great works and I've wore them out.   Love Lucinda as well.Sweet Old world and Car Wheels are beautiful.  The Skip Spence reference surprised me as I thought I was the only person in the world who listened to it . Magnolia Electric Company's Live album is a treasure also.

Sir, your taste is unassailably great.

31 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Now for something a little different.... I'm always listening for music that doesn't really fit into any genre/box but has beat, melody and makes me think, good driving or workout music.

Found EDDIE recently, Aussie producer with heavy EDM-influenced stuff, techno/electronic/dub/trance/dance -- heavy base/beat, mostly instrumental, was picked up by Deadmau5's label Mau5trap. More I listen to it the more I enjoy it, great for drives and just chilling.

This one is both chill and kind of intense, pretty cool combination. EDDIE has done a number of variations on it --

Does a number of collaborations -- this one is with Dirty South, "Just a Riff"

And doesn’t even have a wiki page! Never figured you for a obscure edm house music kind of guy lol.

Worth my time to give this a go for sure

If you guys really want to get outside of your go-to zone, this woman may have had the best pure voice …ever.

Seems like she should be a native of Italy? Nope, Maria Callas was a Brooklyn girl. Classical singers have a prime and a shelf life; here is Maria at her peak in 1952:

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

And doesn’t even have a wiki page! Never figured you for a obscure edm house music kind of guy lol.

Worth my time to give this a go for sure

I know right, lol. At my 'core' I'm a rock guy but I'm pretty eclectic, like to mix it up. I like a number of EDDIE's tunes as they mix genres with good beat and melody --

One reason why I'm enjoying this thread -- @HoosierCoop turned me on to Polyphia -- even though they're right here in my backyard, Texas, hadn't listened to them before and they're excellent, also mostly instrumental, the blend / fusion of metal, progressive rock, classical, jazz is something else. Been listening to them a lot lately -- G.O.A.T., The Worst, Yas, Goose, guitar work with the fusion is just special. (side note - I've played guitar since I was a kid, but after listening to these guys have gone back to work on my music theory in my spare time - I thought I knew how to play guitar.... :)

5 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I know right, lol. At my 'core' I'm a rock guy but I'm pretty eclectic, like to mix it up. I like a number of EDDIE's tunes as they mix genres with good beat and melody --

One reason why I'm enjoying this thread -- @HoosierCoop turned me on to Polyphia -- even though they're right here in my backyard, Texas, hadn't listened to them before and they're excellent, also mostly instrumental, the blend / fusion of metal, progressive rock, classical, jazz is something else. Been listening to them a lot lately -- G.O.A.T., The Worst, Yas, Goose, guitar work with the fusion is just special. (side note - I've played guitar since I was a kid, but after listening to these guys have gone back to work on my music theory in my spare time - I thought I knew how to play guitar.... :)

I’ve been playing guitar for twenty years.

I’m SURE I do NOT know how to play guitar.

No video, but this past Saturday, at "The Mill" in Terre Haute, a handful of us Shriners were asked to sell Lynyrd Skynyrd CDs by the band, which got whoever bought a CD got a raffle ticket to win a guitar signed by the band.  Doing so got us into the show for free, with all access passes.  They may not be the original band, but holy hell did they put on one hell of a show. A night not soon forgotten here in the Haute!

20220917_165421.jpg

FB_IMG_1663695802721.jpg

FB_IMG_1663695818703.jpg

11 minutes ago, pappy1865 said:

No video, but this past Saturday, at "The Mill" in Terre Haute, a handful of us Shriners were asked to sell Lynyrd Skynyrd CDs by the band, which got whoever bought a CD got a raffle ticket to win a guitar signed by the band.  Doing so got us into the show for free, with all access passes.  They may not be the original band, but holy hell did they put on one hell of a show. A night not soon forgotten here in the Haute!

20220917_165421.jpg

FB_IMG_1663695802721.jpg

FB_IMG_1663695818703.jpg

I'd be happy just seeing the show.  Legit jealous of whoever won the guitar.

It's not uncommon for bands to replace members over time, especially older groups.  I saw the Beach Boys years ago and they had like 2 original members.

2 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I'd be happy just seeing the show.  Legit jealous of whoever won the guitar.

It's not uncommon for bands to replace members over time, especially older groups.  I saw the Beach Boys years ago and they had like 2 original members.

The gal that won the guitar was from Ohio. She was pretty trashed so we gave it to her traveling companions. Only one of the guitar players was not killed in the plane crash, and Johnny Van Zant took over for his brother as lead singer.  It was one of the best shows I've been to, and I've seen some pretty amazing bands.  They kicked the Wabash Valley's @$$ for sure!

5 minutes ago, pappy1865 said:

The gal that won the guitar was from Ohio. She was pretty trashed so we gave it to her traveling companions. Only one of the guitar players was not killed in the plane crash, and Johnny Van Zant took over for his brother as lead singer.  It was one of the best shows I've been to, and I've seen some pretty amazing bands.  They kicked the Wabash Valley's @$$ for sure!

I forgot about the plane crash.

4 hours ago, Demo said:

Sir, your taste is unassailably great.

Thanks, I have a broad taste in music.One of my favorite bands is Blue Rodeo. Canadian band with lots of jangle with great writing and harmony. 

You hear a lot of the Byrd's influence especially in their early work. Outskirts was their first album and maybe the best although any of the first 5 are great.

My yard work album this morning was “Scarred but Smarter” by Drivin N Cryin. Love it and hadn’t listened to it in ages. Good, good call. But, I didn’t know there was a doc about them of the same name. Watching it right now, This is awesome. Highly recommend.