Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

One of my favorite bands, never really took off in the U.S., but one of the better recent rock bands out there, lead singer/guitarist Kelly Jones (Welsh) has a really distinctive, unique voice and nice guitar work

Probably their most known (biggest hit) Maybe Tomorrow

But lots of other great tunes - Dakota's from their Language. Sex. Violence album - excellent, deep all around

The Edge turns 61 today. Under-appreciated, uniquely interesting guitar player. Also plays the keyboards on this one, which is my favorite track off of my favorite U2 album. Yeah, Bono’s pretentiousness has kind of dulled the band’s reputation over the years, but back in the day they were probably the most compelling stadium act this side of Springsteen. 

Daniel Johnston, against all odds and logic, wrote and sang with incredible honesty.

”I’m learning to cope with emotionless mediocracy” and

“we’re an unlikely couple, Doris Day and Mott the Hopple” 

Indeed.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:08 PM, Demo said:

The Edge turns 61 today. Under-appreciated, uniquely interesting guitar player. Also plays the keyboards on this one, which is my favorite track off of my favorite U2 album. Yeah, Bono’s pretentiousness has kind of dulled the band’s reputation over the years, but back in the day they were probably the most compelling stadium act this side of Springsteen. 

This is my favorite U2 album as well. My favorite song is "A Sort of Homecoming." Still, the title track is in my top 5 U2 songs. I saw them several years back in Charlottesville. I wasn't sure how far back into their songbook they'd go, so I wasn't necessarily expecting to hear many from this album. Then I heard the familiar opening to this song -- gave me chills. I know it sounds corny, but it's true. 

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Daniel Johnston, against all odds and logic, wrote and sang with incredible honesty.

”I’m learning to cope with emotionless mediocrity” and

“we’re an unlikely couple, Doris Day and Mott the Hopple” 

Indeed.

Have always found Johnston tough to listen to. He was so raw, so intimate, that it made me kind of uncomfortable. Almost intrusive. No other artist has ever made me feel like I really shouldn’t be listening. I do very much enjoy Is and Always Was. On the off chance that you haven’t seen it, “The Devil and Daniel Johnston’ is absolutely worth your time.

10 minutes ago, Demo said:

Have always found Johnston tough to listen to. He was so raw, so intimate, that it made me kind of uncomfortable. Almost intrusive. No other artist has ever made me feel like I really shouldn’t be listening. I do very much enjoy Is and Always Was. On the off chance that you haven’t seen it, “The Devil and Daniel Johnston’ is absolutely worth your time.

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is fantastic. It's like Johnston's music, uncomfortable, personal, and compelling. Crazy how a guy can single-handedly make it hard hard to watch and impossible to stop watching. 

Today’s the anniversary of Stevie Ray Vaughan’s helicopter crash. Only saw him once. It was during the height of his substance abuse and he was so sloppy. But, my Lord, what a freaking player. And pretty much single handedly reigniting Texas Blues is a hell of a legacy. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:08 PM, Demo said:

Saw the Joshua Tree tour as a teenager, really good concert. For me their music hasn’t stood the test of time, but the Edge had a unique style/ sound for sure, loved his guitar work back then 

45 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

I listened to most of this this afternoon; the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert at Wembley. Some pretty interesting combinations of artists and renditions of songs.

I’m very excited to watch this tomorrow. Hopefully they stream the LA one in a few weeks too. I saw a clip of his son playing drums on My Hero. Uncanny. 

2 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

I listened to most of this this afternoon; the Taylor Hawkins tribute concert at Wembley. Some pretty interesting combinations of artists and renditions of songs.

The young man is a stone banger. 

Went to the Jim Irsay Collection last night, simply mind blowing. The exhibit was too much to take in- vintage Colts stuff, Beatles, Elton John, Grateful Dead, Prince, James Brown, historical documents and displays.

Then the concert- Kenny Aronoff, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Mike Mills, Mike Wanchic, Tom Bukovac (look him up!), Carmella Ramsey, and Michael Ramos were the main band. Buddy Guy w Billy Branch, John Hiatt, Ann Wilson all did at least 4 songs each w the band (Buddy Guy is simply the best guitarist I’ve seen, and to see him w Kenny Wayne Shepherd!!! Ann Wilson did 3 Led Zeppelin songs and just killed them). KWS played David Gilmour’s guitar he used to record The Wall during Comfortably Numb- honestly could have been the greatest 2 solos I’ve ever seen live. Mellencamp wrapped up the show w a couple of songs. 
I’ve seen well over 300 artists and bands, and this was something special!!

Went off the beaten path a little today and busted out Living Eyes by the godfather’s of Aussie punk, Radio Birdman. Haven’t listened to this in ages and it’s a fantastic record. Radios Appear is generally considered their peak, justifiably, but this one is more dense and maybe a little more ambitious. A shame these guys didn’t do more. They were really good.

The great Gram Parsons died at 26 on this date in 1973. Incredible artist and my favorite American songwriter. The influence he has exercised over modern country and roots rock is amazing given that he was part of only 5 finished albums. This is my favorite version of my favorite GP song. 
Side note: if you’re not familiar with it, Wikipedia how he died and the aftermath. Doesn’t get much more rock and roll than that. 

33 minutes ago, Demo said:

The great Gram Parsons died at 26 on this date in 1973. Incredible artist and my favorite American songwriter. The influence he has exercised over modern country and roots rock is amazing given that he was part of only 5 finished albums. This is my favorite version of my favorite GP song. 
Side note: if you’re not familiar with it, Wikipedia how he died and the aftermath. Doesn’t get much more rock and roll than that. 

Yes sir, been listening to that album for a long long time. And Lucinda covering Gram is the epic moment among a bunch of really good tracks.

Musical confession time:

I’ve always had a strange obsession with extraordinary songwriters and musicians that did some of their best work while losing their mind. Something about pulling greatness from dark depths and never being able to recover and explain how they did it is incredibly appealing.

Among the candidates for this status are the obvious choice, Syd Barrett, Skip Spence’s solo album Oar, Jason Molina (thanks to @Demo), Smile era Brian Wilson, Karen Dalton, Chris Bell of Big Star, Daniel Johnston, and my new obsession, the great Don Von Vliet a.k.a. Captain Beefheart.

Never was able to understand what the fuss was about with Captain Beefheart. But for some reason it finally clicks. Dissonant blues with crazy rhythms.

Try it, and you may not like it, but if you do you’ll go straight past like into love it.