Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

Next best thing after Reneau that’s happened to me this week, the Open Highway Music Festival, an absolute orgy of alt-country/Americana/roots rock, announced for 7/27-29 in an awesome 1500 seat venue like 15 mins from me. Full session, $110. Includes, among others, Steve Earle, Drive-By Truckers, Shovels & Rope, Hayes Carill and James McMurtry. Kick @$$. Of course, 3 days of that saturation and I may walk out with a brand spanking new accent, but it’s worth the risk.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Next best thing after Reneau that’s happened to me this week, the Open Highway Music Festival, an absolute orgy of alt-country/Americana/roots rock, announced for 7/27-29 in an awesome 1500 seat venue like 15 mins from me. Full session, $110. Includes, among others, Steve Earle, Drive-By Truckers, Shovels & Rope, Hayes Carill and James McMurtry. Kick @$$. Of course, 3 days of that saturation and I may walk out with a brand spanking new accent, but it’s worth the risk.

Steve Earle is still breathing well enough to sing?

That guy makes Keith Richards look like a wellness poster child

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Looks like grim death. We’ll see what he sounds like.

Just now, Demo said:

Looks like grim death. We’ll see what he sounds like.

You are gonna have a good ol time. Drive by Truckers guarantees it for Demo!

I love love McMurtry, but I wonder if he's a little dry in person. His albums are sooooo good.

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Steve Earle & The Dukes are playing at Brown County Music Center June 3rd! 
https://facebook.com/events/s/steve-earle-the-dukes-with-spe/974433643511345/

This is mind-blowing to me. A mob of middle class folk unabashedly belting out, “I’d like to smash every tooth in your head!” Also, yet more evidence that some songs are so unassailably cool that they can’t be f’d up in any form.

Not to be that old dude, but, seriously, check out the top 20 from May of ‘66. Seriously, look at how many great songs and how much variety was getting massive play. Awesome.

11 minutes ago, Demo said:

Not to be that old dude, but, seriously, check out the top 20 from May of ‘66. Seriously, look at how many great songs and how much variety was getting massive play. Awesome.

The Lovin’ Spoonful was a very underrated band. Jug band meets rock/pop and good at it.

And during a tamer era? A severely obscene name for a group.

I love to strum this one:

Going to Abbey Road on the River (AROTR) in Jeffersonville IN, in a week.  Lineup — Abbey Road on the River: May 26-30, 2022 (arotr.com)

50 bands, 6 stages, easy access, great time!  Tommy James and the Shondells, Cyrkle, and a whole heck of a lot of Beatles tribute bands.  One of my favorites is LSB doing CSN.  Was there in 2019 and one guy was singing Bob Dylan.  Will be there on Saturday, maybe Sunday too.  Other tribute bands for Petty, ELO, and more.  Even some new grass fusion and soul.  

Usually, 3 stages have bands playing at one time...sometimes all of them are rockin'.  All within an easy 2 block stroll.  Get a ticket to ride! Parking is great...free shuttle to and from the venue from the free lots.  We parked within a few car lengths of the gate.  But we did get there early.  

You will recognize me.  Wearing a ball cap and sunglasses with this wonderful lady on my arm. 

20190526_105550 (1).jpg

Y'all have probably never heard of The Pretty Things. It's a shame, because they were truly outstanding - musicianship, songwriting, variety of style and tempo. And as a foundation, they rock. 

After you listen to this? In advance...you're welcome. Here they are:

The NY Dolls’ Johnny Thunders is one of the greatest f’d up guitarists ever to strap up. He reunited with Jerry Nolan, one of the greatest yet most f’d up drummers ever, for one album; L.A.M.F. by the Heartbreakers. Razor sharp playing and songwriting, and brutally honest lyrics-The song Chinese Rocks oughta have scared anyone straight off dope.

Yall Hoosiers like Mellencamp? John and Larry Crane cut their teeth desperately trying to be Johnny Thunders and David Johansson. They couldn’t do it, so they transitioned to heartland icon.

Early albums by The Clash sound like a Johnny Thunders cover band.

L.A.M.F was beloved, but the engineering sucked. Until 2021, when it was brilliantly re-mixed.

L.A.M.F. Is now flat out one of the iconic listens E-V-E-R. It rocks—Like. A. M.F. and it won’t take more than about the first 12 bars to hear why. I listen to a lot of stuff—this is one of the best re-issues ever:

Ian Curtis would have turned 66 today. The quality of the catalog given their short duration and how young those guys were is just something. Bassist Peter Hook’s books on Joy Division and New Order are terrific reads. Transmission is kind of a lazy choice on my part, but I freaking love it, so there you go.