Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

2 minutes ago, Demo said:

Is he using a reverb pedal on that track? Doesn’t quite sound like it, but that distortion is really unusual.

Yes, I believe so, but the guys got every trick in the book in his bag and the amp might have kitchen scissors impaled in it for all I know.. It never feels like he's showing off though -- for the most part his songs stay composed and catchy, even when there are extended guitar runs.  That's what I love about Mould and J Mascis; just because you could show off doesn't mean you should. Saloman keeps that mantra in tact over 25 albums, and some of them are lonnnnnng, 20 track affairs. If you read a good bio of him, he was raised by musicians, started playing at age seven, and was putting out music at age ten.

Besides being a very ogre-like looking front man, this is how a guy survives without developing a case of the "for reals":

"I was really into the music scene, so I just about caught the end of the 60's I guess. My bandmates and I used to go and see bands all the time, but we were a bit naive. A couple of the lads got into hallucinogenics, but I never did, pretty much because I wanted to take note of what all the guitarists were doing." 

19 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Yes, I believe so, but the guys got every trick in the book in his bag and the amp might have kitchen scissors impaled in it for all I know.. It never feels like he's showing off though -- for the most part his songs stay composed and catchy, even when there are extended guitar runs.  That's what I love about Mould and J Mascis; just because you could show off doesn't mean you should. Saloman keeps that mantra in tact over 25 albums, and some of them are lonnnnnng, 20 track affairs. If you read a good bio of him, he was raised by musicians, started playing at age seven, and was putting out music at age ten.

Besides being a very ogre-like looking front man, this is how a guy survives without developing a case of the "for reals":

"I was really into the music scene, so I just about caught the end of the 60's I guess. My bandmates and I used to go and see bands all the time, but we were a bit naive. A couple of the lads got into hallucinogenics, but I never did, pretty much because I wanted to take note of what all the guitarists were doing." 

Looking forward to digging in a bit, but off that small taste I’m guessing he and Thurston Moore might have listened to some of the same stuff.

52 minutes ago, Demo said:

Looking forward to digging in a bit, but off that small taste I’m guessing he and Thurston Moore might have listened to some of the same stuff.

Sonic Youth has done a Saloman cover once or twice I believe

Remember the oldie 'Midnight on the Oasis'?  It's by 6 time Grammy Award winner Maria Muldaur.  Well, she has another song out that has an interesting hook.  Believe it or not...'I'm Vaccinated and Ready for Love'. Her voice sounds like it...ahem...has 50 more years on it...but the title made me laugh.  And it's a good rollicking bluesy rock.

Maria Muldaur - Vaccinated and I'm Ready for Love (Official Video) - YouTube

Happy slightly belated birthday to one of the greats. Once told a friend who can play anything with strings that I love Marr’s playing for the sheer beauty and elegant simplicity of his sound. Used this song as an example. Dude looked at me like I’d grown another head and informed me that if I thought this was simple I had no idea what I was listening to and it’s only because Marr is brilliant.  He’s also the last of my bucket list artists to see live. This one might be tough.

17 hours ago, Demo said:

Leonard Cohen died 5 years ago today. He wrote this song about a 1 night stand  with Janis Joplin. He was an extraordinary artist, but not the most discreet guy in the world.

my mom was Janis Joplin's kindergarten teacher in Port Arthur TX in 1948. Gone too soon.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:45 PM, Demo said:

Happy slightly belated birthday to one of the greats. Once told a friend who can play anything with strings that I love Marr’s playing for the sheer beauty and elegant simplicity of his sound. Used this song as an example. Dude looked at me like I’d grown another head and informed me that if I thought this was simple I had no idea what I was listening to and it’s only because Marr is brilliant.  He’s also the last of my bucket list artists to see live. This one might be tough.

BTW, Johny Marr was actually a member of Modest Mouse from 2006-2008 and said that he actually preferred playing with them to playing with The Smiths.  Interviews also make it seem like he will return with them at some point.

On 11/3/2021 at 8:45 PM, Demo said:

BTW, Johny Marr was actually a member of Modest Mouse from 2006-2008 and said that he actually preferred playing with them to playing with The Smiths.  Interviews also make it seem like he will return with them at some point.

There are only 2 remotely interesting things to come out of the Ozarks in the last, well, ever, Daniel Woodrell and Ha Ha Tonka. Some of the rootiest roots rock going.  They write terrific songs. They’re 1st rate musicians. And I’m a sucker for mandolin. Going to see these guys next Friday night. 

MBD is definitely an if you know you know band, though a lot more around here are likely to know than most places. Had never heard this version. Like it a lot. Adam Turla combines writing terrific songs with a unique voice and delivery, along with being a guy who just screams great to go drinking with after the show.

8 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Because he died this week, I started investigating some of Mike Nesmith's (he of the Monkees solo stuff.

Think Gene Clark, Flying Burrito Bros, Stone Canyon type stuff. Some solid material that few ever heard.

Those First National Band albums are great. He was underrated for helping to popularize country rock along with The Byrds. 

35 minutes ago, Demo said:

Watched this tonight on Amazon. Sorry I hadn’t seen it before. Highly, highly recommend if you’re interested in the evolution of modern American music. 

That doc was FAN. TAS. TIC. Watched it a few years ago. One of those where you write down notes throughout and go back and listen to all of the music that caught your attention. 

16 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

That doc was FAN. TAS. TIC. Watched it a few years ago. One of those where you write down notes throughout and go back and listen to all of the music that caught your attention. 

Yup yup yup. 
seen it lovvvvved it.