Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Now I have to know...was it an especially excellent hat?

Pretty excellent. Dark purple velvet with a big @$$ feather. Morgan Freeman had an almost identical hat in Street Smart.

3 hours ago, Demo said:

Concert story: my roommate and I drove from Tulsa to Norman, OK to see The Cars on the Shake It Up tour. 2hrs each way. They played for 70 mins. Didn’t improvise in any way, every song sounded exactly like the album cut. Didn’t acknowledge the crowd at any point, except when they were leaving the stage, Ben Orr turns and says, “How do you like my f*****g hat?” No encore. On the plus side, the sound quality was excellent and their musicianship was really good. 

That doesn't surprise me because I don't think they had the most outgoing personalities.  Let's just say that sometimes geniuses are also socially awkward.

12 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

That doesn't surprise me because I don't think they had the most outgoing personalities.  Let's just say that sometimes geniuses are also socially awkward.

Can’t think of someone’s age when they died shocking me more than Ric Ocasek. I realized at the time they were several years older than us, but had no idea he was almost my Mom’s age.

17 hours ago, Demo said:

Can’t think of someone’s age when they died shocking me more than Ric Ocasek. I realized at the time they were several years older than us, but had no idea he was almost my Mom’s age.

A couple of years ago we had an annual meeting at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame and their Ric's exhibit was extremely cool.  Overall I wasn't very impressed with the hall.

Won’t be able to watch IU-PSU until the morning. But going to my 1st live indoor concert since Nov of ‘19. Not just that, finally seeing my white whale of live acts, Drive-By Truckers. Been trying for probably 15 years and something has f’ed it up over and over. So, I assume there will be a massive power outage or some such in downtown St Louis in the next couple of hours. 

14 hours ago, Demo said:

Won’t be able to watch IU-PSU until the morning. But going to my 1st live indoor concert since Nov of ‘19. Not just that, finally seeing my white whale of live acts, Drive-By Truckers. Been trying for probably 15 years and something has f’ed it up over and over. So, I assume there will be a massive power outage or some such in downtown St Louis in the next couple of hours. 

I got to see them on Decoration Day tour in ‘03 (could’ve been ‘04)- fantastic show. If you can make it to Florence, AL tonight, DBT and Jason Isbell & 400 Unit are playing Shoals Fest lol!! 

Y’all want the hidden-est of hidden gems?

There is a hidden semi-Big Star album: Two Memphis guys named Tommy Hoehn and Jon Tiven called themselves Prix and recorded an album named Historix in 1975-76. They picked up two locals that were kinda out of work and down at the time: Alex Chilton AND, the short lived genius of Chris Bell. Those four made this album, and Bell’s guitars and production are all over it.

If you don’t know who Chris Bell is, his chord progressions and style are plastered over a good bit of everything that followed since. 

It’s really good, and like Big Star absolutely holds up almost 50 years later.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Y’all want the hidden-est of hidden gems?

There is a hidden semi-Big Star album: Two Memphis guys named Tommy Hoehn and Jon Tiven called themselves Prix and recorded an album named Historix in 1975-76. They picked up two locals that were kinda out of work and down at the time: Alex Chilton AND, the short lived genius of Chris Bell. Those four made this album, and Bell’s guitars and production are all over it.

If you don’t know who Chris Bell is, his chord progressions and style are plastered over a good bit of everything that followed since. 

It’s really good, and like Big Star absolutely holds up almost 50 years later.

Wow. Never heard of it. Awesome find. That’ll take up a decent slice of tomorrow. 

Met the daughter’s latest boyfriend tonight. Usually this is accompanied by Dad breaking out the Blanton’s. He rolls in wearing a Husker Du tee and now I know he’s a fake. No, not only does he talk about one of my favorite bands with depth, he makes a pretty compelling, though wrong, case for why he thinks Sugar was actually even better. Oh, and he’s majoring in Wildlife Biology and wants to work for the Parks Sevice. Ok, this one gets to stick around.

In honor of my not being stone drunk right now, the most under appreciated great cover in rock history and a permanent part of my deathbed playlist:

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Met the daughter’s latest boyfriend tonight. Usually this is accompanied by Dad breaking out the Blanton’s. He rolls in wearing a Husker Du tee and now I know he’s a fake. No, not only does he talk about one of my favorite bands with depth, he makes a pretty compelling, though wrong, case for why he thinks Sugar was actually even better. Oh, and he’s majoring in Wildlife Biology and wants to work for the Parks Sevice. Ok, this one gets to stick around.

In honor of my not being stone drunk right now, the most under appreciated great cover in rock history and a permanent part of my deathbed playlist:

Sounds like daughter gave boyfriend some study material before meeting dad!

The Bevis Frond, aka Nick Salomon. Nick is the old guy that still works at the used vinyl store. He's fat with bad teeth and no pretense. He's also one of the best guitarists, songwriters, and melody-makers without getting cheesy or repetitive EVER.

Such an incredibly high-quality back catalogue. I've been hooked on all twenty five studio albums all week.

Anyone? Demo?

27 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The Bevis Frond, aka Nick Salomon. Nick is the old guy that still works at the used vinyl store. He's fat with bad teeth and no pretense. He's also one of the best guitarists, songwriters, and melody-makers without getting cheesy or repetitive EVER.

Such an incredibly high-quality back catalogue. I've been hooked on all twenty five studio albums all week.

Anyone? Demo?

Never heard of him. Got the house to myself tonight. After checking out John Bol I may have to dive in a little bit.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

Never heard of him. Got the house to myself tonight. After checking out John Bol I may have to dive in a little bit.

Think Bob Mould meets Ray and Dave Davies.

A little something to whet your appetite:

1. Acoustic--you'll immediately get the personal connection. By the time the vocal kicks in it's pretty fantastic understated stuff:

2. Guitar God-style:

Recommended albums from a 35 year catalogue?

New River Head. Triptych. Vavona Burr. Hit Squad. Sprawl. Little Eden from this year is strong too.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Think Bob Mould meets Ray and Dave Davies.

A little something to whet your appetite:

1. Acoustic--you'll immediately get the personal connection. By the time the vocal kicks in it's pretty fantastic understated stuff:

2. Guitar God-style:

Recommended albums from a 35 year catalogue?

New River Head. Triptych. Vavona Burr. Hit Squad. Sprawl. Little Eden from this year is strong too.

Is he using a reverb pedal on that track? Doesn’t quite sound like it, but that distortion is really unusual.