Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

PS--thanks be to Demo for the insight--Drive By Truckers are niiice.

Been through a lot of incarnations, but as long as Mike Cooley and Patterson Hood are writing music they will be a worthwhile listen. Cooley is as emotionally raw as it gets..

”And besides, you’re a ghost to most before they noticed that you ever had a hair or a hide.”  

F***, that is so real.

On 8/24/2021 at 2:05 PM, Demo said:

Saw them twice, Tattoo You and Steel Wheels tours. Incredible shows. But, and this is a sore subject, did not play Gimme Shelter in EITHER show. Love that song so much.

Saw them in 76 at Mid South coliseum.

Talk about a party.

Doesn't matter if it's true or not.  It's a great story.

According to Indiana radio DJ Jake Query, who is a friend of Axl Rose, the part of the song "Paradise City" where they sing, "Where the grass is green, and the girls are pretty" is about when Axl & Izzy would make road trips from their Lafayette hometown down to Bloomington.

It takes a particular kind of badass to bust out what amounts to an elongated version of the Elaine Benes dance in front of a live audience and, yet, be unassailably cool.

Shara Nova is such a badass. Love her vocal here so much. 

Fun question that popped up in my Twitter feed:

What is a really underrated song by a band you love? The 1st song that came to mind is Pretty Persuasion off REM’a 2nd album. If pressed for the quintessential REM sound from the IRS years, that’s it.

12 minutes ago, Demo said:

What is a really underrated song by a band you love? The 1st song that came to mind is Pretty Persuasion off REM’a 2nd album. If pressed for the quintessential REM sound from the IRS years, that’s it.

Here’s a stack of ten:

Give Me Another Chance - Big Star…those Chris Bell chords.

The Kinda Fella I Am - Mellencamp at his Midwest snottiest

Tops - Rolling Stones…Mick is a helluva soul singer

Surf’s Up - The Beach Boys..the most heartbreaking goddam vocal ever as Brian Wilson slides into the abyss, never to return.

Between the Bars - Elliott Smith.. he was broken long before Good Will Hunting.

Venus in Furs - Velvet Underground…cause one of you might listen to it and be hooked.

Modern World - Modern Lovers… “put down the cigarette and act like a true girl” Jonathan Richman at his punk snarkiest.

We’re Coming Out - The Replacements… A screaming Stinson speed rock classical music combo supreme.

Tarifa - Sharon Van Etten…for you slightly younger folks

Oscillations — Silver Apples…cause they single-handedly invented techno with this song and nobody else even tried for decades afterward.

10 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Here’s a stack of ten:

Give Me Another Chance - Big Star…those Chris Bell chords.

The Kinda Fella I Am - Mellencamp at his Midwest snottiest

Tops - Rolling Stones…Mick is a helluva soul singer

Surf’s Up - The Beach Boys..the most heartbreaking goddam vocal ever as Brian Wilson slides into the abyss, never to return.

Between the Bars - Elliott Smith.. he was broken long before Good Will Hunting.

Venus in Furs - Velvet Underground…cause one of you might listen to it and be hooked.

Modern World - Modern Lovers… “put down the cigarette and act like a true girl” Jonathan Richman at his punk snarkiest.

We’re Coming Out - The Replacements… A screaming Stinson speed rock classical music combo supreme.

Tarifa - Sharon Van Etten…for you slightly younger folks

Oscillations — Silver Apples…cause they single-handedly invented techno with this song and nobody else even tried for decades afterward.

Surf’s Up is a hell of a call. Great freakin’ song. But I’ve gotta confess, hanging my head in shame, that I have never been able to get next to The Velvet Underground. Tried for literally decades. Keep waiting for them to kick in for me and they never do. Similar reaction for different reasons with The Stooges. Right in my wheelhouse and yet it just doesn’t happen.

36 minutes ago, Demo said:

Surf’s Up is a hell of a call. Great freakin’ song. But I’ve gotta confess, hanging my head in shame, that I have never been able to get next to The Velvet Underground. Tried for literally decades. Keep waiting for them to kick in for me and they never do. Similar reaction for different reasons with The Stooges. Right in my wheelhouse and yet it just doesn’t happen.

There's some tuneful, noir, revolutionary **** there. Like the best music, it makes you feel as if you're in another world (in this case, the seamiest NYC Lower East Side tenement). And it did so with John Cale front and center on the electric viola, Moe Tucker a half step behind the beat with a bass drum, and some crazy-@$$ alternate tuning on Lou Reed's guitar.  In 1966, pre-summer of love, pre-punk, pre-anything remotely like it, the Velvets hit with this Venus in Furs lyric:

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girl child in the dark
Comes in bells, your servant, don't forsake him
Strike, dear mistress, and cure his heart
Downy sins of streetlight fancies
Chase the costumes she shall wear
Ermine furs adorn the imperious
Severin, Severin awaits you there
I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears
Kiss the boot of shiny, shiny leather
Shiny leather in the dark
Tongue of thongs, the belt that does await you
Severin, Severin, speak so slightly
Severin, down on your bended knee
Taste the whip, in love not given lightly
Taste the whip, now bleed for me
I am tired, I am weary
I could sleep for a thousand years
A thousand dreams that would awake me
Different colors made of tears
Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather
Whiplash girl child in the dark
Severin, your servant comes in bells, please don't forsake him

12 hours ago, Demo said:

Night Spots by The Cars (Candy-O album).

36 minutes ago, HoosierCoop said:

Night Spots by The Cars (Candy-O album).

Concert story: my roommate and I drove from Tulsa to Norman, OK to see The Cars on the Shake It Up tour. 2hrs each way. They played for 70 mins. Didn’t improvise in any way, every song sounded exactly like the album cut. Didn’t acknowledge the crowd at any point, except when they were leaving the stage, Ben Orr turns and says, “How do you like my f*****g hat?” No encore. On the plus side, the sound quality was excellent and their musicianship was really good. 

18 minutes ago, Demo said:

Concert story: my roommate and I drove from Tulsa to Norman, OK to see The Cars on the Shake It Up tour. 2hrs each way. They played for 70 mins. Didn’t improvise in any way, every song sounded exactly like the album cut. Didn’t acknowledge the crowd at any point, except when they were leaving the stage, Ben Orr turns and says, “How do you like my f*****g hat?” No encore. On the plus side, the sound quality was excellent and their musicianship was really good. 

Now I have to know...was it an especially excellent hat?