Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

Bored, so been searching obscure covers of British Invasion songs. Found these 2. This is how you take overplayed, mundane standards, garage’em up a little bit, add hell bent vocals and, bingo. Love these. 

Listening obsessions for the week:

Late 1960’s Dolly Parton: before Porter Waggoner killed her vibrato

Jon Brion—Meaningless (2001): The most innovative Boston producer does a solo turn.  Now you hear where Fiona Apple and Elliot Smith got the goods.

Faye Webster—Atlanta Millionaires Club (2019) hot sh!t emo/folk/modern

I like almost all genres of music, but my favorite is Country from the 70s, 80s, and 90s and the Classic rock from 70s and 80s. I just can't listen to today's stuff of any Genre as a whole. I will find a song I like once in awhile.
Having said that, Country Superstar Alan Jackson released a new Album this week called Where Have You Gone. What a breath of fresh air to hear Country Music being played and sang like the years I think were the best. It's title track actually asks tge question "Where have you gone sweet Country Music" I agree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Drive-by Truckers just announced a show 20 mins from me for 10/2. Been on my must see list for probably 15 years. The best southern rock band to never have Duane Allman. Have had maybe 10 chances to see them and every single time something bazaar has come up. My wife thinks it’s hysterical, a band that constantly tours and I can’t make that happen. This time it’s happening, I can feel it. 

19 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

I like almost all genres of music, but my favorite is Country from the 70s, 80s, and 90s and the Classic rock from 70s and 80s. I just can't listen to today's stuff of any Genre as a whole. I will find a song I like once in awhile.
Having said that, Country Superstar Alan Jackson released a new Album this week called Where Have You Gone. What a breath of fresh air to hear Country Music being played and sang like the years I think were the best. It's title track actually asks tge question "Where have you gone sweet Country Music" I agree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

People tend to lean heavily on artists that they grew up on. In my opinion life is awesome when one can discover the best of new, next generation excellence and innovation, while enjoying the heck out of past excellence. That goes for literature, basketball, food, and for sure it goes for music.

If you like "sweet country music" have you given a listen to Courtney Marie Andrews, Ashley Monroe, Rhiannon Giddens/Carolina Chocolate Drops, Chris Stapleton, etc?

There's some truly extraordinary stuff out there from artists who have made their way in the past ten years. This morning I was in a "country mood" and played the latest Rhiannon Giddens album followed by a Louvin Brothers album from the 1960's. Both were sublime.

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

People tend to lean heavily on artists that they grew up on. In my opinion life is awesome when one can discover the best of new, next generation excellence and innovation, while enjoying the heck out of past excellence. That goes for literature, basketball, food, and for sure it goes for music.

If you like "sweet country music" have you given a listen to Courtney Marie Andrews, Ashley Monroe, Rhiannon Giddens/Carolina Chocolate Drops, Chris Stapleton, etc?

There's some truly extraordinary stuff out there from artists who have made their way in the past ten years. This morning I was in a "country mood" and played the latest Rhiannon Giddens album followed by a Louvin Brothers album from the 1960's. Both were sublime.

Rhiannon Giddens is a hell of an artist. When I’m heading off in that direction also really like what Chris Thile has done with Nickel Creek and Punch Brothers. Punch Brothers is one of the best shows I’ve ever seen.

31 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed!

I grew up in a rural setting and high school where hard rock was prevalent.  However, the older I got, the more appreciation i had for music that was in my childhood.  My parents had a Mercury Cougar with an 8-rack player.  They always had music on and to this day I catch my happy place going back to those memories.  Neil Diamond, Burt Bachrach, Kenny Rogers, etc.  I love discovering new bands and music, but I know I have good roots to fall back on.

How have I never heard of this woman before? Listened to her all afternoon. She plays so many things in so many styles so beautifully. Proof of God-level gifted. I excitedly shot some of her stuff to my 20 year old who proceeded to inform me that I’m way late here. 

52 minutes ago, Demo said:

How have I never heard of this woman before? Listened to her all afternoon. She plays so many things in so many styles so beautifully. Proof of God-level gifted. I excitedly shot some of her stuff to my 20 year old who proceeded to inform me that I’m way late here. 

Is it wrong to say she sings a little like Yoko Ono?   :)

Course, Yoko never played no eight string guitar!

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Is it wrong to say she sings a little like Yoko Ono?   :)

Well, her voice doesn’t make me want to jump off our balcony. So, there might be some subtle differences, 

John Fogerty is at The Rose, Huber Heights (near Dayton OH), July 16.  Presale on Ticketmaster today in an hour and a half.  Anyone see his show 50 years since Woodstock?  Saw glowing reviews 2 weeks ago at Red Rock.  Creedence Clearwater Revival was one of my go to bands.  Swamp rock:  Suzie Q, Proud Mary, Fortunate Son, Who Will Stop the Rain, ...  Centerfield...  

Venue is covered and open sides...great place..parking adjacent ...free if with tickets.

Box Office is only open midday Fridays.  I live 3 miles away.  Also seeing Brit Floyd (Pink Floyd tribute band), Chicago, ...  Rock On!

3 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

John Fogerty is at The Rose, Huber Heights (near Dayton OH), July 16.  Presale on Ticketmaster today in an hour and a half.  Anyone see his show 50 years since Woodstock?  Saw glowing reviews 2 weeks ago at Red Rock.  Creedence Clearwater Revival was one of my go to bands.  Swamp rock:  Suzie Q, Proud Mary, Fortunate Son, Who Will Stop the Rain, ...  Centerfield...  

Venue is covered and open sides...great place..parking adjacent ...free if with tickets.

Box Office is only open midday Fridays.  I live 3 miles away.  Also seeing Brit Floyd (Pink Floyd tribute band), Chicago, ...  Rock On!

I love CCR.  They're songs never disappoint.

3 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Remember when MTV released the video for The Old Man Down the Road, which was the 1st place anyone could hear it after all those years of not recording. Those 1st 5 guitar notes. Chills. It was like he’d never been away.

On 5/21/2021 at 9:59 AM, Stuhoo said:

Chris Stapleton is as good as it gets in my book. He can write, he can sing, he can play the guitar, just love him as an artist these days

CCR had some fun songs:  It Came Out Of The Sky; Lookin' Out My Backdoor. Disturbing songs: Midnight Special; Who Will Stop The Rain; I Put a Spell On You; and you have to listen to Effigy.  And a lot of just great rock/blues/swamp/garage/etc....looking forward to listening to Fogerty and sons live!  

What a great summer!  Returning to Evansville to see family...and go to the free W C Hardy Blues Festival in Henderson on Saturday.  Beer, Bar B Q, Blues, family, friends...outside!

Just listened, again, to Sick and Tired by Cross Canadian Ragweed...and I started sneezing. /s

Well, I am allergic to a lot of country music.  That is unless i have some 'shine' and Texas barbeque going down.

So, I will stick with my Texas Blues and Chicago Blues and steel drums and hammered dulcimer and juice harp and Kenny Wayne Shepard and Black Keys and Nova Scotia/French Gypsy Jazz (ie Gypsophilia @ Montreal Jazz Festival 2015)...if and only if the lead can do handstands and kicks during a live show...