Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Alex Chilton & Chris Bell had that incredible short moment in time. Extraordinary stuff.

One of the reasons I’m reasonably sure there is no God is that if there were, Alex Chilton and Gram Parsons would have been monsterous.

Just now, Demo said:

One of the reasons I’m reasonably sure there is no God is that if there were, Alex Chilton and Gram Parsons would have been monsterous.

Journey sold way more records than Gene Clark .That’s okay—Gene knows what mattered.

3 minutes ago, Demo said:

Nah... Gram Parsons and Alex Chilton are prima facia proof that’s there IS a God!

Just now, Stuhoo said:

Nah... Gram Parsons and Alex Chilton are prima facia proof that’s there IS a God!

Ok, that’s a fair point. Now, if Duane Allman had just missed that truck.... 

On 10/23/2020 at 10:43 AM, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Curious to know the answer to this question.

What album have you had to go out and buy numerous times because you played it so much it wore out?

Mine was Boston. The debut album for the band Boston. I have lost track how many LPS, 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs I purchased.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Sammy - Standing Hampton

That album was always at the right place at the right time :)

On 10/23/2020 at 12:56 PM, Stuhoo said:

Alex Chilton & Chris Bell had that incredible short moment in time. Extraordinary stuff.

I'm a huge fan myself.  This article from NPR pretty much sums up Big Star.  And interestingly, you also mentioned Lou Reed.  This article begins with a mention of The Velvet Underground, of which I'm also a super huge fan.

https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123270136

On 10/23/2020 at 11:15 AM, Stuhoo said:

Lou Reed: Berlin

Uncle Tupleo: Anondyne.

Loved Anodyne.

Another great but overlooked album in somewhat the same vein  IMHO is Strangers Almanac by Whiskytown. 

Strangers_almanac.png

1 hour ago, Josh said:

I'm home sick today watching TV.  There's a documentary on about Glenn Frey...check out the shirt he is wearing

20210406_131253.jpg

There’s a doc from a few years ago called The History of the Eagles. Not a fan of the band, but a fan of the doc. Became convinced while watching it that Henley and Frey were consciously trying to see which of them could come off as a bigger d-bag. Henley going for pretentious, Frey for straight a**hole. Henley had it won on points, then, out of the blue, Frey lands this haymaker: “We wanted to be a band for our time, but, if you do a good enough job, you become a band for all time.” That is the Marquez right hand that finished Pacquiao right there. I literally stood and applauded.

Just now, Demo said:

There’s a doc from a few years ago called The History of the Eagles. Not a fan of the band, but a fan of the doc. Became convinced while watching it that Henley and Frey were consciously trying to see which of them could come off as a bigger ******. Henley going for pretentious, Frey for straight a**hole. Henley had it won on points, then, out of the blue, Frey lands this haymaker: “We wanted to be a band for our time, but, if you do a good enough job, you become a band for all time.” That is the Marquez right hand that finished Pacquiao right got there. I literally stood and applauded.

Except for Joe Walsh.

I like Joe Walsh. Although I like his James Gang stuff way better than any Eagles mushy goo.

41 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Except for Joe Walsh.

I like Joe Walsh. Although I like his James Gang stuff way better than any Eagles mushy goo.

I don’t hate their 1st, maybe, 3 albums. Harmonies are undeniably strong. Like the borderline alt-country feel. Always liked Bernie Leadon as a guitar player, both w/the Burrito Brothers and the Eagles. But Felder’s playing later on proves someone can be talented and yet in no way interesting. And The Long Run is an all-time abortion of a record. If they had any integrity at all they never would have released that POS.

And, yeah, if someone doesn’t like Walsh, that’s a them problem. 

17 minutes ago, Demo said:

I don’t hate their 1st, maybe, 3 albums. Harmonies are undeniably strong. Like the borderline alt-country feel. Always liked Bernie Leadon as a guitar player, both w/the Burrito Brothers and the Eagles. But Felder’s playing later on proves someone can be talented and yet in no way interesting. And The Long Run is an all-time abortion of a record. If they had any integrity at all they never would have released that POS.

And, yeah, if someone doesn’t like Walsh, that’s a them problem. 

Leadon and Meisner were way better for their mojo, but I'm a big Burrito's guy too. You'd think Walsh would've helped, but I guess too much Hollywood living and cocaine turned them into a pot o' condescending oatmeal.

Joe Walsh with Jules Shear (and his right thumb-capo lol) and the great Dr. John on 1986 MTV UnPlugged's first season w/Rosewood Bitters? So so good.