Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Music Thread

25 minutes ago, VeevlandBrowns said:

In watching a few commercials over the weekend, two music background drops jumped out at me.

First of all, I think I heard a Rolling Stones song in a commercial for the first time, ever. It was a cover version of "Sympathy for the Devil" for what I think was a car commercial. (A heavy cover version of the song. Sounded pretty good, actually).

Made me think, "Well, I guess the Stones don't have enough hundreds of millions of dollars individually, so might as well sell portions of their catalog for another few million." 

There used to be a loss of street cred for artists who "sold out" and allowed their music to be used in commercials. But I don't think it carries the same stigma that it used to. And it's become an effective way for bands to get their music heard by the masses (google search interviews with John Mellencamp about this topic. After selling a song for a car commercial, he said, "it turns out that General Motors is a better record company than Columbia or MCA.")

[He simply said he wanted people to be aware that he had a new song out, a new album, and he had no faith in the record company promoting his work, and no faith that his new songs would get airplay. He lamented that Tom Petty had released what John thought was a great album one year earlier, but no one knew anything about the album because old acts weren't getting any airplay.]

So the Stones, 50-plus years into their career, have "sold out." Some would say they've been selling out, in more ways than one, for more than 40 years. Dabbling in disco probably disappointed their fanbase in the late '70s. 

I don't think "cred" is anything Mick Jagger and the guys are worried about at this point. And I guess I don't care one way or another. 

On the other side of the coin, I'm sure some of you have heard of a new blues/hard rock band from Frankenmuth called Greta Van Fleet. They are young guys, early 20s, and they sound like early Led Zeppelin. Almost exactly like Led Zeppelin. 

This sound has given them an instant following with older rock fans who have precious, precious few new bands to listen to, because that genre of music has become an endangered species. So Greta Van Fleet is a wonderful breath of fresh air for tons of older fans, and I'm assuming that at least a few younger fans are appreciating them to.

So this past weekend, I noticed a commercial for Fanatics.com sports apparel, and in the background is Greta Van Fleet's song, "Highway tune." 

So it struck me that here's one band, the Rolling Stones, 50-plus years into their career, one of the top two most famous bands ever, and they are just now "selling out." 

And here is the apparent torch bearer of blues/rock, brand new Greta Van Fleet, "selling out" with basically their first or second song. 

I thought it was interesting and ironic.

Feel free to disagree or challenge anything that I posted, because I'm by no means an expert on music. I just call 'em as I see 'em.

No challenge here, would just like to echo that Greta Van Fleet is fantastic. Zeppelin “rip-off” (not you saying that, I’ve read it) or not, they’re really great to listen to for this mid-20’s classic rock fan. 

I think in the Shazam era, putting a song on a commercial will gain more followers than detractors. I know I’ve found a few gems from commercials and either used them in my line of work or became a personal fan. 

27 minutes ago, VeevlandBrowns said:

In watching a few commercials over the weekend, two music background drops jumped out at me.

First of all, I think I heard a Rolling Stones song in a commercial for the first time, ever. It was a cover version of "Sympathy for the Devil" for what I think was a car commercial. (A heavy cover version of the song. Sounded pretty good, actually).

Made me think, "Well, I guess the Stones don't have enough hundreds of millions of dollars individually, so might as well sell portions of their catalog for another few million." 

There's been tons of commercials with Stones songs. I think all the publishing rights for everything pre-1972 or so was owned by their manager or some other schuyster. 

Haven't posted anything lately but came across a really neat sub-genre called "Dirty Rock".  Kind of heavy blues rock with distorted vocals. 

Spotify has a great Dirty Rock play list.

Specifics bands to listen to:  The Blue Stones, Royal Blood, Highly Suspect, Gary Clark, Jr.....

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, HoosierCoop said:

Haven't posted anything lately but came across a really neat sub-genre called "Dirty Rock".  Kind of heavy blues rock with distorted vocals. 

Spotify has a great Dirty Rock play list.

Specifics bands to listen to:  The Blue Stones, Royal Blood, Highly Suspect, Gary Clark, Jr.....

Enjoy!

Seeing Tedeschi Trucks Band on 7/30 and Gary Clark Jr on 8/12. Frankly, the chance to see 2 bad*** players like Trucks and Clark, Jr in a 2 week window is pretty much all I’m thinking about these days. 

18 minutes ago, Demo said:

Seeing Tedeschi Trucks Band on 7/30 and Gary Clark Jr on 8/12. Frankly, the chance to see 2 bad*** players like Trucks and Clark, Jr in a 2 week window is pretty much all I’m thinking about these days. 

Gary’s live albums are insanely good. I’d love to see him. 

14 hours ago, Demo said:

That's a pretty hot ticket.

I think TTB is coming around Fort Wayne soon.  I would love to see Gary Clark Jr. though.

Solid lineup for first day concerts at Alive Christian music festival: Seventh Day Slumber, Whatuprg, Trip Lee, Disciple, Cody Karnes, Kari Jobe, Hollyn, and For King & Country!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

So excited for the lineup for day 2: Phil Keaggy (best guitarist I’ve ever seen live), Ledger (drummer from Skillet), Burlap to Cashmere, John Crist, Zach Williams, Lecrae and Skillet!

Happy 68th Birthday to my favorite rocker and one of the great Hoosier fans: John Mellencamp. 

"Scarecrow" came out in the summer before my senior year in high school. As soon as I heard "Lonely Old Night" on the radio, I ran out (well, actually drove out) to the record store to get a cassette (yes, that was just before CDs). I played it so much that it wore out and I had to get another. Love this ditty, "Minutes to Memories." Reminds me a little of my pop, who passed away a little more than two years ago. I can just picture him as the 77-year-old on the bus, saying "Suck it up and tough it out and be the best you can." 

Happy Birthday, John -- and thanks for all the great music! 

RIP my favorite drummer ever, Neil Peart. Only 67, very sad

When you go to a concert and spend 90% of the time watching the drummer. That was Neil Peart. The music world lost a legend.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Reading TOS, saw this band I hadn't heard of. Radio Moscow is a really great band- kinda like Hendrix, Cream, Blue Cheer, Grand Funk, etc. all had a love child lol.  Just now really getting a chance to dive into them, but if you like late '60s/early 70s power rock, definitely check these guys out!!!

Curious to know the answer to this question.

What album have you had to go out and buy numerous times because you played it so much it wore out?

Mine was Boston. The debut album for the band Boston. I have lost track how many LPS, 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs I purchased.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

31 minutes ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

What album have you had to go out and buy numerous times because you played it so much it wore out?

Mine was Boston. The debut album for the band Boston. I have lost track how many LPS, 8-tracks, cassettes and CDs I purchased.

Lou Reed: Berlin

Uncle Tupleo: Anondyne.

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Had 2:

Allman Brothers Band-Live at Fillmore East

Big Star-1 Record

2 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

John Mellencamp: Scarecrow. ... 

Bought the cassette the day it was released and played it so much it wore out -- so I had to buy another.