Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
hoosierfan33

Crean's weak scheduling

I know it is only game 2 of this season but Crean has weak scheduling out of conference games. They need to play better teams to prepare this young team for gameplay in the big ten. With this team being young it is not helping them be prepared when playing in the most physical conference in all of college hoops. Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I know it is only game 2 of this season but Crean has weak scheduling out of conference games. They need to play better teams to prepare this young team for gameplay in the big ten. With this team being young it is not helping them be prepared when playing in the most physical conference in all of college hoops.Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

They need to build the confidence of the freshmen before B1G play, not get clobbered by big programs to "prepare." I'm fine with the non-conf schedule.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I know it is only game 2 of this season but Crean has weak scheduling out of conference games. They need to play better teams to prepare this young team for gameplay in the big ten. With this team being young it is not helping them be prepared when playing in the most physical conference in all of college hoops. Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Strongly disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2c6j1zjmfw

We have Washington, BC/UConn, and Syracuse coming up. Three major conference teams. That's more than most teams schedule.

Oh, 3.  How will we ever make it through that gauntlet?

They need to build the confidence of the freshmen before B1G play, not get clobbered by big programs to "prepare." I'm fine with the non-conf schedule.

He didn't say "big programs", you made that leap. He said "better teams", and with at least 75% of our non-conference schedule it wouldn't take much to find "better teams".

Wanting a better schedule than this prime example of a bakery's finest pastries doesn't mean a person wants to play all the 10 teams in the non-conference.

I don't really buy the argument for getting their confidence up. Sure, they get their confidence up by pounding Eastern Western A&M Tech, then in turn they don't know how to respond to the challenges they will face in conference.

LIU is not a weak team it was a good test for our freshmen they handled it extremely well

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

LIU-B beat St. Peters by 7 in their first game.  I'm not sure I've ever heard of St. Peters.

I'd like to see a strong schedule and to the point made above I'm not talking about a ton of games against ranked teams, I just mean a few more true mid-majors (versus teams I've hardly heard of).

If not big programs, who else would you be satisfied to play? The finest CUSA (not Memphis) has to offer? Maybe DePaul? Everyone's heard of them.

Just a note, the CUSA doesn't exist anymore. But I agree. There are only so many mid majors that people even know of.

If not big programs, who else would you be satisfied to play? The finest CUSA (not Memphis) has to offer? Maybe DePaul? Everyone's heard of them.

Apparently name opponent equates with good opponent.  I have heard of Arizona St. so they must be a quality opponent?  Or LSU...  LIU-Brooklyn made the tournament the last 3 years, but I don't as much about them as the others.  I am thinking that is the mindset. 

Question for you all. Would you rather go Into the big ten gauntlet with 1 or 2 losses and some confidence, or 5-6 losses and some massive losses to UK's Kansas, Dukes?

Look big picture at the turnover on this team. We NEED these games more than you can ever imagine.

The last time I checked, our goal wasn't to be ready for the big ten season. The goal is to be ready for march. You can't burn the team out too soon. We will play enough quality teams in conference. Teams like Kentucky & Kansas don't have that luxury. I would like to see One big non conference game outside of the ACC challenge, but that is 100% selfish and I want to be excited early in the season.

Question for you all. Would you rather go Into the big ten gauntlet with 1 or 2 losses and some confidence, or 5-6 losses and some massive losses to UK's Kansas, Dukes?

Look big picture at the turnover on this team. We NEED these games more than you can ever imagine.

The last time I checked, our goal wasn't to be ready for the big ten season. The goal is to be ready for march. You can't burn the team out too soon. We will play enough quality teams in conference. Teams like Kentucky & Kansas don't have that luxury. I would like to see One big non conference game outside of the ACC challenge, but that is 100% selfish and I want to be excited early in the season.

I couldn't agree more. The Big Ten is the best basketball conference in the country. I feel as if the schedule is a perfect setup. We can't go into to the big ten with anymore than 3 losses in my opinion if we want a fair seeding in the big dance. That's just me though.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It's difficult to sign home and homes with top teams. Every team relies on the small schools to come in for home games. They make money on those games and it takes money to run a program. The small schools rely on the money they're paid to play these games.

This practice has been going on for a really long time. Bob Knight certainly had his share of easy games. He'd even make it easier in years when he knew his team would be younger than normal. All coaches do it, it's not a Crean thing.