Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
hoosierfan33

Crean's weak scheduling

If not big programs, who else would you be satisfied to play? The finest CUSA (not Memphis) has to offer? Maybe DePaul? Everyone's heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just a schedule with a couple of the big programs.  Then substitute some of these BS schools with solid mid majors that should challenge the team but still result in a comfortable win.  That's not going over the top with big programs.

The team needs to learn.  They learn from being challenged.  By playing a ton of Betty Crocker's best the team only learns they can turn the ball over 19 times and still clobber a team that would lose to Purdue by double digits.

Just a schedule with a couple of the big programs.  Then substitute some of these BS schools with solid mid majors that should challenge the team but still result in a comfortable win.  That's not going over the top with big programs.

The team needs to learn.  They learn from being challenged.  By playing a ton of Betty Crocker's best the team only learns they can turn the ball over 19 times and still clobber a team that would lose to Purdue by double digits.

Strong mid-majors won't want to come into Indiana every year.  "Name" schools won't do anything less than home and homes.  There are only so many strong mid-majors and they aren't going to load up on teams like IU every game on their schedule.  Their money is made from going to pre-season tournaments, and home games.  We play enough good teams throughout our year without loading up pre-conference to have a top 20 RPI every year.  At some point wins are more important than playing 30 major conference teams.  Cupcakes can make more money from going on the road.  Schools like IU, UK, UNC, Duke...  all make their money from a pre-season tournament, home and homes, and being at home.  To be at home, they have to play cupcakes.  We are about one home and home short, but those aren't easy.  If you are IU you have to play someone that makes sense, and can be put on TV.  Only so many teams that people would want to watch IU play every year.  I agree with why you want to play tougher teams, but logic behind our schedule really means more. 

we only won by one point i dont see why we would need to play "better" or "name teams" we are already struggling early in the season due to the youthfulness. Maybe im looking at it wrong lol, sorry i dont think sometimes before i type lol :D  

we only won by one point i dont see why we would need to play "better" or "name teams" we are already struggling early in the season due to the youthfulness. Maybe im looking at it wrong lol, sorry i dont think sometimes before i type lol :D

Your good. Hoosiers are full of opinions. That's what makes places like this so much fun. Get to hear all angles of topics.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I want to see us have 1 game like Michigan State does every year.  Why can't we do an aircraft carrier game on prime-time ESPN? Why can't we do a game against Duke, Kansas, etc?  I guess I'm just depressed the UK game is gone now, cause that game alone satisfied my non-con craving for the 1 HUGE match-up. 

Cuse comes close I suppose this year, but still not on par with UK, UNC, Duke, Kansas, etc...

Strong mid-majors won't want to come into Indiana every year.  "Name" schools won't do anything less than home and homes.  There are only so many strong mid-majors and they aren't going to load up on teams like IU every game on their schedule.  Their money is made from going to pre-season tournaments, and home games.  We play enough good teams throughout our year without loading up pre-conference to have a top 20 RPI every year.  At some point wins are more important than playing 30 major conference teams.  Cupcakes can make more money from going on the road.  Schools like IU, UK, UNC, Duke...  all make their money from a pre-season tournament, home and homes, and being at home.  To be at home, they have to play cupcakes.  We are about one home and home short, but those aren't easy.  If you are IU you have to play someone that makes sense, and can be put on TV.  Only so many teams that people would want to watch IU play every year.  I agree with why you want to play tougher teams, but logic behind our schedule really means more. 

I have no problem with a home/home.  They have to go on the road in conference and a mid-major in non-conference would help IMO.

I get it's about the money, as much as I hate it.  People should just say it's about the money instead of trying to make up arguments for a weak schedule helping the team, which I do not buy in the least because they don't learn anything beating Random Joe U by 40 in AH despite turning the ball over 20 times.

I have no problem with a home/home.  They have to go on the road in conference and a mid-major in non-conference would help IMO.

I get it's about the money, as much as I hate it.  People should just say it's about the money instead of trying to make up arguments for a weak schedule helping the team, which I do not buy in the least because they don't learn anything beating Random Joe U by 40 in AH despite turning the ball over 20 times.

I think there is some degree of it about confidence.  But, lets be real.  Everything is done for money.  The better the team, the more money we have to pay them to come to IU.  That is more money going away from our Athletic Department's books.  Home and home would make more obviously, because they are on national tv.  That is why I think it would be more likely for us to switch out one cupcake with a home and home that has the interest to be on ESPN during the 7 o'clock hour.  A mid-major we are paying more, and its on BTN.  So, we actually lose money to do that with more risk.  Most mid-majors that play the "name" school are in state.  Like Ohio vs. OSU.  Western Kentucky vs. Kentucky.  Indiana doesn't really have a solid mid-major school.  Best option is Evansville.  Play for a good conference, but is that really a sexy mid-major everyone is looking for?  We did them a favor and opened their building a couple of years ago.  As a fan I definitely agree with you and what you want.  Lets just hope for a Kansas or team of that caliber over the next couple of years.  

Really its just the kentucky or kansas annual matchup that is the difference people r noticing. I agree more I look at the schedule its tuff don't need to many losses going into the big but iu fans r used to at least one Markey matchup and this year its Syracuse and there worthy don't see the problem thsts the big win so lets do it! Yes I have had a few beers lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

I think there is some degree of it about confidence.  But, lets be real.  Everything is done for money.  The better the team, the more money we have to pay them to come to IU.  That is more money going away from our Athletic Department's books.  Home and home would make more obviously, because they are on national tv.  That is why I think it would be more likely for us to switch out one cupcake with a home and home that has the interest to be on ESPN during the 7 o'clock hour.  A mid-major we are paying more, and its on BTN.  So, we actually lose money to do that with more risk.  Most mid-majors that play the "name" school are in state.  Like Ohio vs. OSU.  Western Kentucky vs. Kentucky.  Indiana doesn't really have a solid mid-major school.  Best option is Evansville.  Play for a good conference, but is that really a sexy mid-major everyone is looking for?  We did them a favor and opened their building a couple of years ago.  As a fan I definitely agree with you and what you want.  Lets just hope for a Kansas or team of that caliber over the next couple of years.  

I don't really buy the confidence argument either.  They make mistake after mistake after mistake but still dismantle South Saskatchewan Poly, the confidence gained won't make a bit of difference when they get their heads handed to them on a platter by MSU for the same mistakes they got away with before.

They have to learn from their mistakes, and when it loaded down with South Saskatchewan Poly/Eastern Western A&M Tech/Random Joe U/Local Girl Scout Troop they can get away with things that won't work in B1G play.

I'd definitely prefer if we removed one of the joke games and added a mid-major home/home.  Replace another with someone like Kansas, we still have several cupcakes and the schedule is better preparation.  Besides, we already have some extra fluffy cupcake called Purdue on the schedule so why add another?

I don't really buy the confidence argument either.  They make mistake after mistake after mistake but still dismantle South Saskatchewan Poly, the confidence gained won't make a bit of difference when they get their heads handed to them on a platter by MSU for the same mistakes they got away with before.

They have to learn from their mistakes, and when it loaded down with South Saskatchewan Poly/Eastern Western A&M Tech/Random Joe U/Local Girl Scout Troop they can get away with things that won't work in B1G play.

I'd definitely prefer if we removed one of the joke games and added a mid-major home/home.  Replace another with someone like Kansas, we still have several cupcakes and the schedule is better preparation.  Besides, we already have some extra fluffy cupcake called Purdue on the schedule so why add another?

I think the perception is it is easier to learn from mistakes and fix them against South Saskatchewan Poly than try and fix them against UK.  Easier to experiment in these games with wider margin for error to see where you need work.  For a young team, I think that is invaluable.  I guess since the argument has shifted, this brings me to another question.  If the problem is learning from their mistakes, if they can't learn from Jackoff U, how are they ever going to learn during MSU?  A mistake is a mistake no matter who it is against.  It is easier to build good habits (and bad habits) against Cubcakes (< had to) than against MSU.  Plus, those teams like MSU are far more physical than Girl Scout Troop 317, so injuries are far more likely in those named games due to the intensity. Again, as a fan I agree with why you want to see the best every night.  From the outside looking in the good outweighs the bad in the majority of ways to keep it the way it has been for all of our lives.  RMK played some cupcakes that would make Crean blush.  The B1G is just so strong every year, you will get your RPI.  What you can't get back if you play a nasty schedule is those losses.  

I think the perception is it is easier to learn from mistakes and fix them against South Saskatchewan Poly than try and fix them against UK.  Easier to experiment in these games with wider margin for error to see where you need work.  For a young team, I think that is invaluable.  I guess since the argument has shifted, this brings me to another question.  If the problem is learning from their mistakes, if they can't learn from Jackoff U, how are they ever going to learn during MSU?  A mistake is a mistake no matter who it is against.  It is easier to build good habits (and bad habits) against Cubcakes (< had to) than against MSU.  Plus, those teams like MSU are far more physical than Girl Scout Troop 317, so injuries are far more likely in those named games due to the intensity. Again, as a fan I agree with why you want to see the best every night.  From the outside looking in the good outweighs the bad in the majority of ways to keep it the way it has been for all of our lives.  RMK played some cupcakes that would make Crean blush.  The B1G is just so strong every year, you will get your RPI.  What you can't get back if you play a nasty schedule is those losses.  

I don't even want the best every night.  Just want to replace a couple of the heavily frosted cupcakes with a teams that are at least decent.  I don't want a world beater non-conference schedule, I understand having some easy games on the schedule, I just want some of those gimme games replaced with ones that should be at least a bit of a challenge.

Not a gauntlet, not freshly baked extra fluffy, somewhere in between.

While I haven't looked at other's schedules, but doesn't Indiana have the opportunity to play three ranked opponents? How many do other top programs play in their non-con? It's just something to look at and compare in this argument.

Don't forget, if Cal hadn't ended the series with IU then we'd still have a marquee non-conference match-up each and every season. Glass has been working on trying to slate another team like Louisville, to fill that void. Do we play cupcakes? Of course we do!!! But, so does every other team. The difference between those teams and Indiana is that WE PLAY IN THE TOUGHEST BASKETBALL CONFERENCE IN THE NATION! Playing easy teams in the non-conf is part of college basketball. Just have to make the most of those games and cherish the few quality non-conf opponents each season.