Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

10 Questions with Cayden Rooks

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. Cayden Rooks made an immediately impact in his first season in Bloomington. Rooks was second on the team in wins with 21 wins in the 2019-20 season. He tallied a 21-13 overall record, 6-4 mark in dual matches and 4-4 record in Big Ten dual matches.

If someone asked you to describe what it's like to compete in the Big Ten for wrestling, what would you tell them?
I would tell them that every week it's a battle. The Big Ten is the toughest conference in the NCAA for a reason.

What is the one habit you have picked up because of the pandemic that you will keep?
I have made it a habit to use hand sanitizer more frequently so I will probably keep that up after the pandemic is over.

What is one of your favorite songs that you know all the words to?
That's a tough question haha. I would have to say it's Tennessee Whiskey by Chris Stapleton though.

What is your earliest wrestling memory?
The earliest wrestling memory I can think of is practicing at my elementary club for the first couple times and meeting my youth coach. I wouldn't be where I am today without
him.

What are some activities you enjoy doing with your teammates outside of wrestling?
Right now, we like to get on a zoom call and play Among Us, an online phone and computer game. We also like to play Call of Duty.

What was it like being in the lineup your freshman season and what do you hope to improve on this year?
It was awesome! I've dreamed of wrestling in the Big Ten ever since I was young so getting to do it as a freshman made it all the  more sweeter. I didn't achieve my goals, but I don't think I could be any more prepared for the rest of my career. In the upcoming season I hope to improve on areas where I struggled last season physically like shot defense or my counter attacks. I would also like to improve where I struggled last season mentally like my self-confidence. There were a lot of times last season where I could've beaten opponents but didn't because I didn't have enough self-confidence.

How did you find creative ways to work out and train during the pandemic this summer?
A friend of mine has a pretty nice barn so we threw some mats in there and we would work out. 

Who is a teammate of yours you think will have a breakout season and why?
I think my brother (Graham) is going to have another breakout season. He had his NCAA tournament taken away from him last year so he's hungry to get back there and get on the podium. He also showed that he can battle with the best in the nation.

What is your major at IU and what do you want to do after college?
I am majoring in Psychology. After college I would like to be a Dean at a high school (preferably my old high school) and coach wrestling there as well.

What is the best part about being on the IU wrestling team?
I'd say I really have two things that I would consider to be the best part about being on the team. The first best part about being on the IU wrestling team is having the opportunity to work with our coaching staff. These guys know what it takes to be great and they give up a lot of their time for us in case we want to come in and work extra or watch film. The other best part about being on the team is the bond that we all have. A lot of times we describe it as going to war and I wouldn't want any other group of guys to have my back.

Willham Earns All-America Honors at UWW Junior Nationals

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– IU wrestlers Nick Willham and Jack Chesman competed this past weekend at the UWW Junior Nationals in Omaha, Nebraska.

Willham wrestled at 92kg, while Chesman wrestled at 74kg.

In the first round Willham beat top 100 recruit Ben Vanadia then proceeded to take down Pittsburgh starter and 2019 top 100 recruit Austin Cooley. He also prevailed against Gabe Christenson, 2020 top 100 recruit and Iowa freshman.

Willham, a sophomore who started several matches last year, finished in sixth-place at the tournament.

"Nick used this quarantine to his advantage and made huge improvements in his wrestling," IU head coach Angel Escobedo said.  "His effort was tremendous, his defense was really stingy, and he was executing the techniques we have been working on in practice. This is the toughest freestyle tournament for his age group and for him to walk away as an All-American is a great accomplishment. The thing I love about Nick is that he is eager to get back on the mat to keep improving."

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

For those of you who are seriously into college wrestling, todays IU vs Illinois match can be watched on BTN starting at noon.

Watched. We are awful in comparison to Illinois.  They absolutely destroyed us.  We won 1 of the 7 or 8 matches I watched. 

but we are young.........we actually are.  

I don't follow the wrestling program that carefully but I looked up the latest team rankings.  Illinois wasn't ranked in the top 25, but the B1G is one tough wrestling conference:

Iowa #1; Penn State #2; Michigan #3; Nebraska #5; Ohio State #7; Minnesota #12; Rutgers #15; Purdue #16; Wisconsin #20; Northwestern #22.

6 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don't follow the wrestling program that carefully but I looked up the latest team rankings.  Illinois wasn't ranked in the top 25, but the B1G is one tough wrestling conference:

Iowa #1; Penn State #2; Michigan #3; Nebraska #5; Ohio State #7; Minnesota #12; Rutgers #15; Purdue #16; Wisconsin #20; Northwestern #22.

Illinois embarrasses us today. Most matches weren’t even competitive.  

Indiana Wrestling Tops No. 24 Northwestern 18-16 for First Win of Season

Long road to go to becoming relevant.  Hopefully Coach Escobedo can get the job done.

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/other-sports/indiana-wrestling-tops-northwestern-18-16-for-first-win-of-season

image.png.d8fa7ddb5f210333d9d0b351d29f640f.png

Following a week where he went 2-0, including a victory over a No. 5 ranked wrestler from Penn State, sophomore Donnell Washington has been chosen the Big Ten Wrestler of the Week.

Washington started his day at the Northwestern Tri Meet with an emphatic victory over No. 5 Carter Starocci of Penn State. Washington got a take down and four-point near fall in the first period and led 10-1 early in the match. He hung on late for a 10-9 decision.  Washington followed that up with a key win by fall to help the Hoosiers beat Northwestern, 18-16. Washington pinned Northwestern's Troy Fisher with 18 seconds left in the third period to provide the Hoosiers with six points.

Washington, who is now ranked No. 6 in the country at 174 lbs. on FloWrestling,  improves to 3-1 on the season with his additional win in the Indiana dual vs. Illinois.  Last season Washington redshirted and finished with a record of 22-9, including a sixth-place finish at the Midlands Championships. Dating back to matches from last season, Washington has won seven of his last eight matches.

This week the Hoosiers host a quad meet with Nebraska, Michigan State and Rutgers.   

Wrestling Set to Host Michigan State, Nebraska

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– The Indiana wrestling team returns home to Wilkinson Hall to host No. 23 Michigan State and No. 7 Nebraska on Saturday Feb. 6.  

Indiana vs. No. 23 Michigan State
Saturday February 6, 2021 • 12:00 p.m. ET
Bloomington, Ind. | Wilkinson Hall
Broadcast: BTN Plus
Live Stats: Track Wrestling

Indiana vs. No. 7 Nebraska
Saturday February 6, 2021 • 2:00 p.m. ET
Bloomington, Ind. | Wilkinson Hall
Broadcast: BTN Plus
Live Stats: Track Wrestling

Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram  

*Attendance at 2020-21 Big Ten Wrestling matches will be limited to the immediate family of student-athletes, coaching staff, wrestling personnel and members of the team traveling parties.

*This match was originally a quad event, but Rutgers was unable to compete due to Covid-19 cases within their program.

ABOUT MICHIGAN STATE
• Michigan State has a 1-2 record on the season with a win against Maryland and defeats against Minnesota and Ohio State.
• The Spartans have eighth ranked wrestlers going into this match, highlighted by No. 5 Cam Caffey at heavyweight.
• At 174, No. 6 Donnell Washington will likely take on No. 17 Drew Hughes.

ABOUT NEBRASKA
 Nebraska is 4-1 on the season with wins against Minnesota, Northwestern, Maryland and Wisconsin. Their only defeat is against No. 1 Iowa.
• Nebraska has eight wrestlers ranked, with five in the top-10 in their respective weight classes.
• At 197, Eric Schultz is ranked No. 2 and at 174, Mikey Labriola is ranked No. 3.

SERIES HISTORY
• Michigan State owns a 49-23-2 advantage in the all-time series. The last three matches have been decided by five points or less, including a 16-15 win for Michigan State the last time they competed, on 12/7/18 in East Lansing. The last six matches in the series have been decided by five points or less.
• Nebraska leads the all-time series 16-5. The most recent match was last season in Bloomington with Nebraska winning 35-6. The last Indiana win was Feb. 15, 1985.

NOTES
 Donnell Washington was named the Big Ten Wrestler of the Week. Washington went 2-0 in wins against No. 5 Carter Starocci of Penn State and Troy Fisher of Northwestern. Washington pinned Fisher to help the Hoosiers win the dual vs. Northwestern. Washington has a 3-1 record on the season.
 Graham Rooks returned to action for the first time this season. Rooks went 1-1, including a win over No. 10 Jarod Verkleeren of Penn State.
• The Hoosiers have 23 freshmen/sophomores on their 2021 roster.
• Indiana returns three NCAA qualifiers in Brock Hudkins, Graham Rooks and Garrett Hoffman.
• Indiana opened the season with a 39-3 defeat against Illinois. Donnell Washington provided the Hoosiers a 6-3 victory.
• Indiana has six wrestlers that are ranked this week. Donnell Washington vaulted by the rankings by 20 spots and is ranked No. 6 at 174 lbs.
• The Hoosiers have had back-to-back recruiting classes ranked in the top-25. Their 2019 class was ranked 16 and their 2020 class was ranked 25.
• Indiana set an attendance record for average fans per match in the 2019-20 season.
 Cayden Rooks finished the 2020 season with a 21-13 record as a true freshman. He wrestled in eight Big Ten dual matched and finished with a 4-4 record.
 Graham Rooks was an NCAA qualifier a season ago. Rooks beat five ranked opponents last season. Rooks makes his 2021 season debut on Saturday.
• Indiana has three sets of brothers on their team (Graham Rooks and Cayden Rooks, Nico Bolivar and Eddie Bolivar and Jonathan Moran and Jacob Moran)
• IU head coach Angel Escobedo is in his third season with the team. Escobedo wrestled at Indiana from 2007-10 and won the national championship at 125 lb. in 2008. Escobedo is the only four-time All-American in Indiana wrestling program history.
• In extra matches against Michigan, Jacob Moran beat former cadet world champion and No. 1 recruit Kurt McHenry.
• Michigan State head coach Roger Chandler is an IU wrestling alum and was a three-time All-American at IU. Chandler was inducted into the IU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2008.

Indiana Probable Lineup
125: Jacob Moran or #14 Brock Hudkins
133: Kyle Luigs
141: Cayden Rooks
149: #14 Graham Rooks
157: Matt Ortiz
165: #24 Nick South
174: #6 Donnell Washington 
184: Drayton Harris
197: #28 Nick Willham
285: Rudy Streck or Jacob Bullock

Michigan State Probable Lineup
125: #13 Rayvon Foley or Tristan Lujan
133: #16 Jordan Hamdan or Andrew Chambal
141: Jaden Enriquez, Matt Santos, or Jake Spiess
149: #30 Peyton Omania or Eddie Homrock
157: #25 Chase Saldate or Nathan Atienza
165: #17 Jake Tucker or Caleb Fish
174: #17 Drew Hughes or Nate Jimenez
184: #12 Layne Malczewski
197: #5 Cam Caffey or Austen Malczewski
285: Christian Rebottaro or Brad Wilton

Nebraska Probable Lineup
125: #6 Liam Cronin OR Jeremiah Reno
133: Alex Thomsen OR Tucker Sjomeling OR Dominick Serrano
141: #6 Chad Red Jr. OR Jordan Kelber
149: #22 Brock Hardy OR Jevon Parrish OR Ridge Lovett
157: Caleb Licking
165: #18 Peyton Robb OR Isaiah Alford
174: #3 Mikey Labriola
184: #11 Taylor Venz OR Nathan Haas OR Brandyn Van Tassell
197: #2 Eric Schultz
285: #10 Christian Lance OR Cale Davidson

Wrestling Takes Down Maryland, 27-13

Story Links
WATCH: ANGEL ESCOBEDO
WATCH: KYLE LUIGS
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. – On senior day senior Kyle Luigs pinned his man and two other Hoosiers won by pin as Indiana came away with a 27-13 victory against Maryland on Sunday at Wilkinson Hall.

Notes
• Indiana improves to 2-5 on the season and they match their most Big Ten dual match wins since the 2016-17 season.
• The Hoosiers got off to a quick start with back-to-back pins from Jacob Moran and Kyle Luigs to jump out to a 12-0 advantage.
• For Moran it was his first career pin, for Luigs it was his third career pin.
• Donnell Washington got the Hoosiers third pin of the day and his second this season, 16 seconds into his match.
• Washington improves his individual record to 5-2 on the season.
• Freshman Jacob Moran, who started the dual with a pin improves his individual record to 5-3 on the season and gets his second dual match win.
• Indiana got two match wins in extra time as Nick South got a take down in the second tiebreaker of his match and Rudy Streck won on a take down in sudden victory.
• Graham Rooks improved to 2-1 on the season with a 6-2 decision
• The 27 points for Indiana is their most since they beat Maryland 36-3 on Jan. 13, 2019 in the first match in Wilkinson Hall.

Indiana vs. Maryland Bouts
125: Jacob Moran (IU) def. Zach Spence (UMD) fall 1:08 (IU 6, UMD 0)
133: Kyle Luigs (IU) def. Jackson Cockrell (UMD) fall 2:26 (IU 12, UMD 0)
141: Danny Bertoni (UMD) def. Cayden Rooks (IU) 6-1 decision (IU 12, UMD 3)
149: #14 Graham Rooks (IU) def. Hunter Baxter (UMD) 6-2 decision (IU 15, UMD 3)
157: Michael Doetsch (UMD) def. Jonathan Kervin (IU) 6-2 decision (IU 15, UMD 6)
165: #24 Nick South (IU) def. Jonathan Spadafora (UMD) 3-1 TB2 (IU 18, UMD 6)
174: #6 DJ Washington (IU) def. Philip Spadafora (UMD) fall 0:16 (IU 24, UMD 6)
184: Kyle Cochran (UMD) def. Drayton Harris (IU) 10-0 major decision (IU 24, UMD 10)
197: Jaron Smith (UMD) def. #28 Nick Willham (IU) 5-3 decision (IU 24, UMD 13)
285: Rudy Streck (IU) def. Garrett Kappes (UMD) 3-1 SV1 (IU 27, UMD 13)

Extra Matches
149: Lucas Cordio (UMD) def. Jonathan Moran (IU) fall 3:16
165: Sammy Cokeley (IU) def. Garrett Fisk (UMD) fall 1:20
197:Kevin Makosy (UMD) def. Robert Deters (IU) 10-4 decision

IU Head Coach Angel Escobedo
"I thought the guys went out there and competed and got bonus points, which we have been asking all season. It was awesome to see those pins that helped this team. It is great when you start off at 125 and have that pin to get that momentum. I thought the guys performed really well today. We have to build off this and head into Purdue."

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Donnell Washington and Graham Rooks assured themselves a spot in the NCAA Championships on day one of the Big Ten Championships on Saturday.  

Notes
• Graham Rooks advanced to the consolation semifinal with a 3-2 decision over No. 4 seed Yahya Thomas of Northwestern.
• Donnell Washington got a takedown five seconds into the third period to go up two and won by decision 10-7 over Drew Hughes of Michigan State to lock up his NCAA bid.
• Washington improved to 8-3 on the season.
• The Hoosiers advanced three wrestlers to the quarterfinals in the morning session of the Big Ten Championships.
• Kyle Luigs started things as he took down No. 5 seed Jack Medley of Michigan by a 5-0 decision in his first match of the day.
• Cayden Rooks followed Luigs with an upset win over No. 6 seed Marcos Polanco of Minnesota in a 5-4 decision. Polanco came into the Big Ten Championships ranked No. 21 at 141.
• Donnell Washington improved to 7-2 on the season with a win by fall over Emil Soehnlen of Purdue in 1:54. For Washington it was his third pin of the season
• In his second collegiate match, freshman Santos Cantu lost a narrow 5-4 decision against No 3 seed Layne Malczewski of Michigan State in the first round at 184.
• Rudy Streck won by fall against No. 12 seed Dorian Keys of Purdue.

Big Ten Championships Results (Numbers are seeds for tournament)

No. 5 Rayvon Foley (MSU) def. No. 12 Jacob Moran (IU) 11-1 major decision
No. 4 Patrick Mckee (MINN) def. No. 12 Jacob Moran (IU) fall 1:08
No. 13 Dylan Shawver (RUT) def. No. 12 Jacob Moran (IU) 11-7 decision

No. 12 Kyle Luigs (IU) def. No. 5 Jack Medley (MICH) 6-0 decision
Quarterfinal: No. 4 Chris Cannon (NU) def. No. 12 Kyle Luigs (IU) 19-6 major decision
No. 11 Jordan Hamdan (MSU) def.  No. 12 Kyle Luigs (IU) 9-3 decision
No. 13 Jackson Cockrell (UMD) def. No. 12 Kyle Luigs (IU) 19-10 major decision

No. 11 Cayden Rooks (IU) def. No. 6 Marcos Polanco (MINN) 5-4 decision
Quarterfinals: No. 3 Sebastian Rivera (RUT) def. No. 11 Cayden Rooks (IU) 6-1 decision
No. 13 Colin Valdiviez (NU) def. No. 11 Cayden Rooks (IU) 13-2 major decision
No. 11 Cayden Rooks (IU) def. No. 12 Matt Santos (MSU) 6-1 decision

No. 7 Ridge Lovett (NEB) def. No. 10 Graham Rooks (IU) 6-1 decision
No. 10 Graham Rooks (IU) def. No. 9 Peyton Omania (MSU) 5-3 decision
No. 10 Graham Rooks (IU) def. No. 4 Yahya Thomas (NU) 3-2 decision

No. 4 Kendall Coleman (PUR) def. No. 13 Luke Baughman (IU) 12-3 major decision
No. 12 Johnny Mologousis (ILL) def. Luke Baughman (IU) 17-2 technical fall
No. 13 Luke Baughman (IU) def. No. 12 Johnny Mologousis (ILL) 3-2 decision

No. 7 Peyton Robb (NEB) def. No. 10 Nick South (IU) 10-4 decision
No. 9 Gerrit Nijenhuis (PUR) def. No. 10 Nick South (IU) 6-3 decision
No. 10 Nick South (IU) def. No. 14 Josh Otto (WIS) 2-1 decision  

No. 5 Donnell Washington (IU) def. No. 12 Emil Soehnlen (PUR) fall 1:54
Quarterfinal: No. 4 Logan Massa (MICH) def. No. 5 Donnell Washington (IU) 9-3 decision
No. 5 Donnell Washington (IU) def. No. 11 DJ Shannon (ILL) 2-1 decision
No. 5 Donnell Washington (IU) def. No. 10 Drew Hughes (MSU) 10-7 decision

No. 3 Layne Malczewski (MSU) def. No. 14 Santos Cantu (IU) 5-4 decision
No. 11 Kyle Cochran (UMD) def. No. 14 Santos Cantu (IU) 6-1 decision
No. 11 Kyle Cochran (UMD) def. No. 14 Santos Cantu (IU) 10-1 major decision  

No. 4 Cameron Caffey (MSU) def. No. 13 Nick Willham (IU) 7-1 decision
No. 12 Jaron Smith (UMD) def. No. 13 Nick Willham (IU) 4-0 decision

No. 4 Luke Luffman (ILL) No. 13 Rudy Streck (IU) fall 5:28
No. 13 Rudy Streck (IU) def. No. 12 Dorian Keys (PUR) fall 4:11
No. 6 Trent Hillger (WIS) def. No. 13 Rudy Streck (IU) 11-2 major decision

Up Next
Up next Washington and Rooks will wrestle tomorrow on day two of the Big Ten Championships. They will have a match to advance to the third-place match in their respective weight classes. If they fall in that match they will wrestle for fifth-place.

Best of luck to our guys today, and a special shoutout to my Columbus East guys, the Rooks brothers!

Hoosiers Set for NCAA Championships

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Story Links

BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– A trio of Indiana wrestlers will compete this week at the NCAA Wrestling Championships in St. Louis March 18-20.  

NCAA Wrestling Championships
Thursday March 18-20
Enterprise Center | St. Louis, Mo.
TV: Television coverage throughout the tournament on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU and ESPN3
ESPN TV Coverage Release
Social Media: Facebook | Twitter | Instagram  

Indiana Wrestlers Competing at NCAA Championships
Donnell Washington (No. 9 seed at 174 pounds)
Graham Rooks (No. 21 seed at 149 pounds)
Cayden Rooks (No. 32 seed at 141 pounds)

Donnell Washington
Washington is the No. 9 seed at 174 and will open against No. 24 seed Jake Allar of Minnesota. Washington finished in sixth-place at the Big Ten Championships. Washington is 9-5 on the seed with three pins and a dual match point differential of +19. Washing has three ranked wins this season including a victory over No. 3 seed Carter Starocci of Penn State. As a redshirt last year Washington finished 22-9, including a sixth-place finish at the Midlands Championships. Washington is making his first NCAA Championships appearance.

Graham Rooks
Rooks qualified for the second time of his career, with a sixth-place finish at the Big Ten Championships. Rooks is 4-5 on the season with two ranked wins. In his first match of the season Rooks beat then No. 10 Jarod Verkleeren of Penn State. A season ago, Rooks finished 15-10 and 8-4 in dual matches. Rooks is the No. 21 seed at 149 and will open against No. 12 seed Max Murin.

Cayden Rooks
Rooks earned an at-large spot in the field and will open as the No. 32 seed against No. 33 Vinny Vespa. Rooks comes in with a record of 6-9 on the season. Rooks is making his first appearance at the NCAA Wrestling Championships. Last season he posted a 21-13 record as a true freshman, including 6-4 in dual matches. 

The 2021 NCAA Wrestling Championships take place on March 18-20 in the Enterprise Center in St. Louis, Mo.  With capacity restrictions put in place by the NCAA, the sessions and timing are different this year.  Sessions 1A and 1B are at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. on the 18th. Sessions 2A and 2B are at 6 and 9 p.m. on the 18th.  Sessions 3 and 4 (quarterfinals) are at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. on the 19th. Sessions 5 (semifinals) is at 8 p.m. on the 19th. Session 6 (medal) is at 11 a.m. on the 20th and session 7 (finals) is at 7 p.m. on the 20th.  The ESPN family of networks will cover the entire event. All times listed are EASTERN.

Coach Escobedo beefing up his staff with the addition of four-time national DIII champion at Wabash College Riley Lefever as an assistant coach.

https://iuhoosiers.com/news/2021/6/28/riley-lefever-named-indiana-wrestling-assistant-coach.aspx

4 make preseason rankings.

InterMat Wrestling released its 2021-2022 NCAA Preseason Division I rankings on Friday afternoon. The rankings feature the top-33 wrestlers in each weight class heading into the upcoming season.

Four IU Wrestlers earned preseason rankings in Friday's poll. Graduate student Brock Hudkins (No. 28 at 125 lbs.), junior Cayden Rooks (No. 26 at 141 lbs.), redshirt junior Graham Rooks (No. 30 at 149 lbs.) and junior D.J. Washington (No. 10 at 174 lbs.) all found themselves in the initial rankings to begin the season.

All four have qualified for the NCAA Championships in the past. Washington and both Rooks brothers competed in the 2021 Tournament in St. Louis while Hudkins wrestled in the event during his time at Northern Illinois.

Over the summer, Washington competed in the Junior World Championships in Ufa, Russia after winning a Junior National Championship in May.

The 2021-2022 season will officially be underway in October when wrestlers report for the first official practice.